Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 15:08   #496

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would counter that the trend towards restricting free anchorages is driven by both private and municipal desires to extract money from the increasingly prevalent presence of boats. Years ago there were few yachts , hence few opportunities to extract money today its different.

Your argument is a bit like saying that the existence of a few abandoned cars was the reason car parking charges were brought in !

Dave
My belief is that building marinas, in general, would be a poor way to extract money from people. Easier to put in some mooring buoys.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:16   #497
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It is clear that the general trend is towards restrictions on anchoring, and the construction of marinas to replace anchorages (and frequently, in anchorages). . But make no mistake, it is the impoverished with their half-derelict boats who are helping to advance this trend and take away the anchorages from those of us who use them responsibly. Just like anything, if it's not used responsibly, it will disappear.
Hum, so where should the improvierised and half derelicts in Richardson Bay go. There have always been anchor outs in Richardson bay. They have had a 3 day limit on anchoring for about 10 years now. Ok that can be up to 3 months, but hows that working for them.

Where do you send the folks there. Most of the boats and people there by the way seem fairly clean and normal. Well normal to me, which may not be saying all that much. Ok there are maybe 10%-15% there that are true derelicts. But not that many. Gee about 10 percent are women living on small boats.

Remove the people from the boats and now you have homeless on the streets. Plus you still have to spend big bucks hauling destroying the boat. That's not going to solve the issues.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:16   #498
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

My belief is that building marinas, in general, would be a poor way to extract money from people. Easier to put in some mooring buoys.
That may be your view but all around the world such construction and marinas replacing anchorages are common. Most are built as commercial concerns , even public ones attempt to make profits.

Most cruisers today prefer marinas over mooring buoys. A testimony to our affluence maybe

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 15:19   #499
Nearly an old salt

I mean almost every harbour I've been in has a couple of seemingly derelict boats. It's a very common sight.

Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 15:22   #500

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

CFers know this whole issue has been discussed many times regarding many cities. You can wrap a turd in tissue but it's still a turd. Forever liveaboards are blights on a harborscape, occasionally a danger to others and always not covering their own butts.

In my world, you take care of yourself. Your freedom ends when it encroaches on mine and vice versa.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:26   #501
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
CFers know this whole issue has been discussed many times regarding many cities. You can wrap a turd in tissue but it's still a turd. Forever liveaboards are blights on a harborscape, occasionally a danger to others and always not covering their own butts.

In my world, you take care of yourself. Your freedom ends when it encroaches on mine and vice versa.
Yes sir mr wild bill sir

Of course when both us feel the other has encroached each others freedoms , everyone reaches for their guns. Not much of a useful philosophy really

What really happens is you end up in court arguing about laws.
Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 15:29   #502

Quote:
Just want to say that, for most of us, the construction of marinas is a good thing, just like other boating infrastructure (boat ramps, pumpouts, etc)
Do you mean to say construction of marinas is a good thing for boaters who like to stay in marinas or need a convenient place to launch their jet skis? If so I would agree.

Otherwise, as someone who enjoys solitude and the sense of oneness with nature I derive from sailing, and who is also deeply concerned about our impact on the environment, I would tend not to agree. More is generally not better in my opinion.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:40   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

You say such sweet things. Gee here I think the harborscapes look picturesque with a few liveaboards in them. But to each their own.

Of course I always try to anchor in locations with as few other boats as possible. But I guess some like busy anchorages.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:49   #504

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This not being a legal forum to debate the laws that either do or don't exist and it being a cruisers forum...I think it perfectly normal to debate what other boaters should or shouldn't do as a moral or ethical issue.

I say move on...respect that others may want a turn at being close to the center of town for awhile.

For those that can't see that...fine...but don't expect everyone to agree or not put whatever legal pressure there is to bear on forcing the hands of those that think they can stay forever.

Especially for those of us that see this issue as hurting cruisers "rights" as opposed to it supporting them.
Right!
Old 19-09-2013, 15:52   #505

We all know that boats require maintenance, and money, to keep them sound. Do we really think that the best place for someone with no money, possibly aging and with health issues, is on a slowly disintegrating boat in an anchorage? What I would do with them is provide them with a decent state pension and somewhere to live. I don't think the best thing is to leave them isolated on a knackered boat. How often when we really find out who these anchor-outs are, do we find out that they have a bunch of health problems, including mental? All that isolation can drive you nuts, for a start.
Old 19-09-2013, 15:58   #506
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
We all know that boats require maintenance, and money, to keep them sound. Do we really think that the best place for someone with no money, possibly aging and with health issues, is on a slowly disintegrating boat in an anchorage? What I would do with them is provide them with a decent state pension and somewhere to live. I don't think the best thing is to leave them isolated on a knackered boat. How often when we really find out who these anchor-outs are, do we find out that they have a bunch of health problems, including mental? All that isolation can drive you nuts, for a start.
Not a bad response. Yes let's try to see what needed. Better then just " move on"

People stealing Nutella are perhaps i. need of some care.
Dave
Old 19-09-2013, 16:06   #507

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You say such sweet things. Gee here I think the harborscapes look picturesque with a few liveaboards in them. But to each their own.

Of course I always try to anchor in locations with as few other boats as possible. But I guess some like busy anchorages.
SC, I agree with your second paragraph. And I admire the way you're handling your boat life, and managing on so little money, not that it matters.

But you and Dave and all the other countless liberals/enablers who want to take care of all the folks who can't/won't take care of themselves just seem naïve to me. My own definition of a liberal is someone who hasn't been robbed at gunpoint yet.

Pardon the thread drift, folks.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:07   #508
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Not a bad response. Yes let's try to see what needed. Better then just " move on"

People stealing Nutella are perhaps i. need of some care.
Dave
I'd rather stick a couple of baguettes up my sleeves than a jar of Nutella in my pocket... or even a bag of rice... obviously they had gas as she stole a can of ground coffee as well...
I may have sympathy for the anchoring... but the stealing...?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:07   #509
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You know some introverts actually crave isolation. Actually the boats in Oriental and a goodly part of the boats in Richardson Bay appear to be structurally sound vessels, hardly knackered at all. The Pink Boat in Oriental looks quite nice.

Yes it takes money but not great gobs of it. Other them my little engine adventure this year, I've less then $300 into fix'in the boat. But I have simple systems for a simple mind. Of course one of these years, I'll have to haul out again, but so far after 4 years the bottom is still clean of hard growth. Probably in a year or two I'll haul. Though I do spend about 1/2 the time in fresh water. so that helps too.

Thing is lots of folks on boats actually like the anchor out lifestyle. Most are not really into conformity which sort of goes without saying. For me, land life is way too noisy and boring other then just visiting.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:14   #510
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
SC, I agree with your second paragraph. And I admire the way you're handling your boat life, and managing on so little money, not that it matters.

But you and Dave and all the other countless liberals/enablers who want to take care of all the folks who can't/won't take care of themselves just seem naïve to me. My own definition of a liberal is someone who hasn't been robbed at gunpoint yet.

Pardon the thread drift, folks.
I will admit that my happy rainbow unicorn world view is different then yours, but its hardly naive. Not that I find your views callus and cold and self serving. We must live in to completely different worlds. Plus I don't watch the news or listen to politics as that would depress the dead.

To each their own..
Closed Thread