Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 19:08   #166
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Do you really see a relationship between people on boats and people who sleep on park benches? Don't think your stretching things more than a bit?
I've seen some where it would be hard to distinguish.
__________________

__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:13   #167
Registered User
 
Sand Castle's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, Oriental NC
Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Posts: 98
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
My beef is not with the town it's self so much (other then the general lack of simple kindness), it's really with the people who spent allot of time running a 4 month long public smear campaign, and never once tried asking me to move. I refuse to be pushed around by bullies. Now after 4 months some of the government officials kindly asked me if I would move, so now this week I am moving.

What I am worried about is if left unchecked the government will do what governments do best and remove our rights.
Sir.
  1. I do not appreciate the way you use your veteran status, irrelevant to your argument, to make your point. Members of my family were proud to serve in combat, and never used it as a way to emphasize a point or draw attention to themselves as you do. You do a discredit to other veterans, and honestly you shame yourself.
  2. You have under current statutes a right to anchor where you choose. However, yes, your length of time is unreasonable, has garnered you negative attention, and now you are being defiant and combative - for what reason? That people have taken notice of the excessive time you have anchored in their town and the three boats are an eyesore? Your neighbors have a right to their opinions too, sir.
  3. Smear Campaign. It's called free speech, and as Americans the writing of opinion in a public forum is protected by law. I was happy to write THREE published letters to towndock.net, none of which were slanderous, libelous, or otherwise defamatory. In each case, I argued both sides, but acknowledging my own view that a stay over a month is probably not reasonable. Just because you disagree, doesn't make it a "smear campaign". You have my sympathies that you're upset because you've upset people.
  4. I don't know you. But if I meet you, my question personally would be - "what's the point?" I would think you would want to cruise around a bit, see some sites and so on. It is lost on you that the 3 or 4 lingering boats is honestly an eyesore and prevent many others (who have also written in Towndock specifically saying the boats are an eyesore) from enjoying Oriental. You cite several grandiose concepts of freedom and liberty but fail to acknowledge the basic one of simple fair play. Why not let other boats have a chance to anchor there? Anything wrong with that?
  5. Honestly. Primadonna. The French boat. The panhandling, the petty excuses not to leave, and the shoplifting. I've spent time in France and I can tell you any French person would be ashamed of those two. The majority of French people are proud, decent, honest people. Those two by all accounts seem to be charlatans. Any decent person would have scraped $240 worth of barnacles or raked a few leaves, painted a few houses to buy that starter and 10 gallons of diesel, but not those people. And they have time on their hands.
  6. Why do "government officials" need to ask you to move?
  7. What kind of treatment are you getting for your shoulder? Honestly with the demands of water living, you should have it checked and get some kind of physical therapy.
  8. Sorry you've experienced some contrary opinions if not rancor, but honestly, what did you expect after so long? Plus your boat conceptually is tied in peoples' minds to the French shoplifters (sorry, guilt by association, a little unfair, but blame human nature.)
Good luck with however it turns out. If it were me, I'd cruise a little ways and bounce around. See the world. I wouldn't tolerate the fuss. But... you seemed to like the attention - would that be a fair assessment?
__________________

__________________
Sand Castle is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:15   #168
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Im not demanding anything Cat. Im saying the anchorage was there first. The town effectively stole it. The fact they upgraded and pay to maintain it now isn't at issue the stealing of the anchorage in the first place is. By the way I don't and never have expected anyone to support me. I do however expect to not be discriminated against buy a bunch of people that say thats my anchorage now because I bought this here piece of waterfront.
You might want to talk to some American Indians about this idea of "stolen" property.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:17   #169
Registered User
 
Sand Castle's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, Oriental NC
Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Posts: 98
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Nothing shrinking. There have always been rules on the water. Go over to Norfolk and try anchoring just behind one of the naval ships and see if your military pedegree gets you anywhere
Sir.
You are my new hero.
Well said.

I used to live in a Navy town. The Navy really don't have a sense of humor about their safety parameters.
__________________
Sand Castle is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:20   #170
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
Sir.
  1. I do not appreciate the way you use your veteran status, irrelevant to your argument, to make your point. Members of my family were proud to serve in combat, and never used it as a way to emphasize a point or draw attention to themselves as you do. You do a discredit to other veterans, and honestly you shame yourself.
  2. You have under current statutes a right to anchor where you choose. However, yes, your length of time is unreasonable, has garnered you negative attention, and now you are being defiant and combative - for what reason? That people have taken notice of the excessive time you have anchored in their town and the three boats are an eyesore? Your neighbors have a right to their opinions too, sir.
  3. Smear Campaign. It's called free speech, and as Americans the writing of opinion in a public forum is protected by law. I was happy to write THREE published letters to towndock.net, none of which were slanderous, libelous, or otherwise defamatory. In each case, I argued both sides, but acknowledging my own view that a stay over a month is probably not reasonable. Just because you disagree, doesn't make it a "smear campaign". You have my sympathies that you're upset because you've upset people.
  4. I don't know you. But if I meet you, my question personally would be - "what's the point?" I would think you would want to cruise around a bit, see some sites and so on. It is lost on you that the 3 or 4 lingering boats is honestly an eyesore and prevent many others (who have also written in Towndock specifically saying the boats are an eyesore) from enjoying Oriental. You cite several grandiose concepts of freedom and liberty but fail to acknowledge the basic one of simple fair play. Why not let other boats have a chance to anchor there? Anything wrong with that?
  5. Honestly. Primadonna. The French boat. The panhandling, the petty excuses not to leave, and the shoplifting. I've spent time in France and I can tell you any French person would be ashamed of those two. The majority of French people are proud, decent, honest people. Those two by all accounts seem to be charlatans. Any decent person would have scraped $240 worth of barnacles or raked a few leaves, painted a few houses to buy that starter and 10 gallons of diesel, but not those people. And they have time on their hands.
  6. Why do "government officials" need to ask you to move?
  7. What kind of treatment are you getting for your shoulder? Honestly with the demands of water living, you should have it checked and get some kind of physical therapy.
  8. Sorry you've experienced some contrary opinions if not rancor, but honestly, what did you expect after so long? Plus your boat conceptually is tied in peoples' minds to the French shoplifters (sorry, guilt by association, a little unfair, but blame human nature.)
Good luck with however it turns out. If it were me, I'd cruise a little ways and bounce around. See the world. I wouldn't tolerate the fuss. But... you seemed to like the attention - would that be a fair assessment?
I'm going to be nice, but only because your presentation was not directed at me. One word comes to mind however. Condescendent.
__________________
Wrong is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:21   #171
Senior Cruiser
 
Captain Bill's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat
Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Posts: 2,313
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I expect the next strong hurricane to pass through will take out that marina and then open up more anchorages provided that they don't rebuild.
It survived Irene and Isabel, don't get your hopes up.
__________________
Captain Bill is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:22   #172
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Whether it is a right or a privilege doesn't matter.
It matters very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I'm going to be nice, but only because your presentation was not directed at me. One word comes to mind however. Condescendent.
A more accurate word would be "wrong".
__________________
Jammer Six is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:27   #173
Registered User
 
ShaktisBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Posts: 344
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Lol Doodles I agree! The Indians should have met Columbus with flaming arrows eh? Hind-site is 20/20
This thread is making my inner brave look for his bow and arrows and hit the warpath.
__________________
ShaktisBoy is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:31   #174
Registered User
 
Sand Castle's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, Oriental NC
Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Posts: 98
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I'm going to be nice, but only because your presentation was not directed at me. One word comes to mind however. Condescendent.
Yes, I have that rap.

But I read all these posts because I'm a follower of the issue, and the guy on the pink boat is making a pretty whiny argument because he's mad at the town or anyone who disagrees with him. Plus, my point is on - what relevance does being a Vet have to do with anything in his argument? None.

His boat is not the worst offender and I really kind of like his independent attitude, but all this mother, god, and country bullchip to just say "hey, I like it here and I'm legally ok to be here" is bogus.

Finally, I've cruised that area on boat, paddle, and by car. IMHO, and those of others, the boats do look. um. not. so. healthy. It's a fair statement to say others (cruising boats) are avoiding Oriental because of the anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	67244  
__________________
Sand Castle is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:35   #175
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
It matters very much.



A more accurate word would be "wrong".


So, which body of law clontrols or at least defines whether boaters have a right to anchor? When, where and for how long? And if anchoring is not a right, but a privelege which level of government has the power to determine when and where the privelege can be exercised?

I'm asking for specific laws and where they can be found.
__________________
Wrong is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:35   #176
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

I just don't see what the big fuss is over three ugly boats. Some people get their panties in a bunch far too easily.
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:36   #177
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,833
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Do you really see a relationship between people on boats and people who sleep on park benches? Don't think your stretching things more than a bit?
Not at all...it takes a big mind to see other's point of view...and I have seen those that will take all they can get and screw the rest my whole life.

Anyway...yes some boaters remind me of people who camp out on park benches.....whether wearing rags or the most expensive suit money can buy....but they still hog the bench.
__________________
psneeld is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:42   #178
Registered User
 
Sand Castle's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, Oriental NC
Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Posts: 98
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I just don't see what the big fuss is over three ugly boats. Some people get their panties in a bunch far too easily.
For me, it was the day I paddled by the red one and realized they didn't seem to go to pump out, and that I was paddling by them. Maybe they do. Maybe.

Then towndock.net wrote an article about the red one. With pics. Of their holding tank. UGH.
| The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

So, in fairness, my reaction is pretty visceral.
__________________
Sand Castle is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:43   #179
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
Yes, I have that rap.

But I read all these posts because I'm a follower of the issue, and the guy on the pink boat is making a pretty whiny argument because he's mad at the town or anyone who disagrees with him. Plus, my point is on - what relevance does being a Vet have to do with anything in his argument? None.

His boat is not the worst offender and I really kind of like his independent attitude, but all this mother, god, and country bullchip to just say "hey, I like it here and I'm legally ok to be here" is bogus.

Finally, I've cruised that area on boat, paddle, and by car. IMHO, and those of others, the boats do look. um. not. so. healthy. It's a fair statement to say others (cruising boats) are avoiding Oriental because of the anchorage.
I'll be nice and simply say I detect an air of arrogance.

Nice photo. What's your point?

There are two kinds of sailors. Those who have been aground, and those who have not run aground yet. So the boat ain't new and shiny. Big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aground1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	67246  
__________________
Wrong is offline  
Old 15-09-2013, 19:51   #180
Registered User
 
Sand Castle's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilmington, Oriental NC
Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Posts: 98
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post


I'll be nice and simply say I detect an air of arrogance.

Nice photo. What's your point?

There are two kinds of sailors. Those who have been aground, and those who have not run aground yet. So the boat ain't new and shiny. Big deal.
The arrogance is not mine. That's pretty much from other cruisers I have read or talked to who WANT to anchor in Oriental, but feel a little afraid to do it - citing the boats.

My own experience is I paddle the area and became aware that one or more of the boats might not be pumping out at pump out, but in the harbor where I paddle.

So that's not arrogance, that's UGH!!!
__________________

__________________
Sand Castle is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.