Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 09:04   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Oriental, NC

I certainly don't want to revive any of the harsh opinions recently shared by many; however, upon arriving in Oriental, NC from Ocracoke yesterday I found this small friendly harbor pleasantly unchanged from what I am accustomed. I easily anchored at about 1300 at my usually location about 300' off the corner of the Oriental Harbor Marina bulkhead. I had good holding outside the six boats well spaced and at anchor with plenty of room for more. A couple of the boats appear in poor condition and one of the six anchored sailboats cruised out this morning. I felt that it was important to report my first hand present account that the space is available and the amenities of Oriental have not diminished. Please don't use this report as an opportunity to vent anger or rage about perceived injustices.
Old 27-09-2013, 10:26   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Oriental, NC

I live in Oriental and after coffee at the Bean this morning, I drove over to the anchorage and saw the 6 boats that you mentioned. That is about all that can fit and be protected by the breakwater. With the current wind (NE) you will be fine anchored behind the 6 (now 5) but if it shifts to the SE, you may be exposed. There is room for another 5-6 boats between where you are and the bridge and is mostly protected.

Oriental is a great town. If we could only get past some petty politics and build another town dock there would be even more room for cruisers.

Come by the Bean tomorrow morning. I will buy you a cup of coffee. The farmers market will also be underway about 8:00.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:36   #3

Boat: Pearson 30'

What I am upset about is that the water has been so high the last 2 weeks and as soon as it goes down it will be even easier to anchor in the harbor because I will be moving my boat back to the creeks. But this town does have a lot of wonderful people in it.
GothVanhellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I live in Oriental and after coffee at the Bean this morning, I drove over to the anchorage and saw the 6 boats that you mentioned. That is about all that can fit and be protected by the breakwater. With the current wind (NE) you will be fine anchored behind the 6 (now 5) but if it shifts to the SE, you may be exposed. There is room for another 5-6 boats between where you are and the bridge and is mostly protected.

Oriental is a great town. If we could only get past some petty politics and build another town dock there would be even more room for cruisers.

Come by the Bean tomorrow morning. I will buy you a cup of coffee. The farmers market will also be underway about 8:00.

David
Ya Larry and Barbra told me about their plans for the Visitors center and the new dock I really hope it's gets done because it will be a great addition to the town
Old 28-09-2013, 06:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

David, I'm sitting in the "Bean" & looking for my coffee! ..thanks. There were two added boats in to anchor after I posted yesterday and with still room for more. I do understand the less protection from the south or southeast, but then making plans in accordance with the weather is always in play. We're coming into Oriental Marina today afterr a couple of days on the hook,- mainly so Nancie can satisfy her addiction to watching our college football team on cable TV!
Old 28-09-2013, 09:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
David, I'm sitting in the "Bean" & looking for my coffee! ..thanks. There were two added boats in to anchor after I posted yesterday and with still room for more. I do understand the less protection from the south or southeast, but then making plans in accordance with the weather is always in play. We're coming into Oriental Marina today afterr a couple of days on the hook,- mainly so Nancie can satisfy her addiction to watching our college football team on cable TV!
Mine is the 9th place Bulldogs they play 6th place LSU today
Old 28-09-2013, 11:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CothV....., I'll be watching that one too! Djmarchand explained the plans for the potential town dock to me at "The Bean" this morning. The Town Dock addition would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, Oriental will remain a favorite stop for us.
Old 28-09-2013, 11:21   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Thanks for the report, but my experience is consistently the same. Great town, great anchorage and I have never failed to find a place to squeeze in.

Enjoy!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:35   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
With the current wind (NE) you will be fine anchored behind the 6 (now 5) but if it shifts to the SE, you may be exposed. There is room for another 5-6
David
I thought it was SW winds that aren't protected there, not SE. The jetty extends from the NE to the SW. That why boats in Oriental Harbor Marina get hit so hard with the predominant (SW) winds.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:53   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I thought it was SW winds that aren't protected there, not SE. The jetty extends from the NE to the SW. That why boats in Oriental Harbor Marina get hit so hard with the predominant (SW) winds.
Well, yes and no.

The anchorage, particularly if you anchor out past Oriental Harbor Marina is beyond the breakwater and is open to the S and SE. But SE winds are generally light.

In the spring the SW winds really blow, sometimes 25 kts or better for days at a time (which lowers the water level a few feet). But you do get some protection from the land at Wiggins Point and Pecan Grove Marina to the SW so the fetch isn't all that bad.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 13:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
CothV....., I'll be watching that one too! Djmarchand explained the plans for the potential town dock to me at "The Bean" this morning. The Town Dock addition would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, Oriental will remain a favorite stop for us.

Now that was one heck of a game!!!!

Safe travels