Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2012, 06:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: On The Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I bet a sticker of a pit bull with drool dripping off it's teeth and a tape player down below playing a recording of a barking growling dog ............................. is the same in any language
Not if it looks like that so-called Pitbull that was featured on the forum recently... lmao.
And if I heard a dog going bananas for hours on a boat near me I'd have the authorities visit PDQ investigating animal cruelty..

PS: Pitbulls are illegal in many countries by the way... mental instability.. owners and dogs

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:19   #32
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: On The Hook

Pitbull was just an dog and the "barking" was based on a motion detector based thing from back aways now in the thread.

I'm certain that others in the anchorage would know there isn't a dog on the boat because they never seen it. But for the middle of the night low life thief this is probably as good as anything else in helping him decide to move on to some other easier boat to rob.

I'm not planning on having such a system as I have more important things to "worry" about, just saying.
Old 29-12-2012, 08:02   #33

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Easy - Rust! Galvanized chain links rub together constantly where they loop through each other - just like anchor chain. But with dinghy chain you use it more often and it moves more often and it is not long before the chain develops quite a bit of rust that then gets on the the dinghy staining it.

Stainless eliminates that completely and in my case the stainless 1/4" chain is just as bright and clean 10 years later as it was when I purchased it.
My experience with SS chain has been just the opposite. As soon as it gets the slightest scratch, rust develops. We cruise almost exclusively in salt water. The same goes with those shiny new SS anchors. Use them a couple of times and the scratches start to rust. With our galvanized chain on the dingy, it takes years before any rust starts to show and when it does the replacement cost is much less. That's just my experience. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 14:51   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We've all seen that "bow bling" that is way too pretty to dip in the mud!
Old 29-12-2012, 14:59   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Cruising for more than 30 years and nothing stolen and no dinghies lost. Lots of good suggestions here for how to lock stuff, but the main thing is to use the local cruisers grapevine to determine the security situation. For example, in New England almost nobody locks their dink or motor and almost none are stolen, while if you left a boat like that in other places it would be gone quickly. The most important thing is to ask around the harbor and observe what others are doing.
Old 29-12-2012, 17:52   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I think most of my stuff stolen over the years was nicked by other boaters. I mean who needs a 40 foot shore power cable with marinco connectors.

Dave
Old 29-12-2012, 17:57   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: On The Hook

Or a single oar from a Plastimo inflatable....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 00:53   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
My experience with SS chain has been just the opposite. As soon as it gets the slightest scratch, rust develops. We cruise almost exclusively in salt water. The same goes with those shiny new SS anchors. Use them a couple of times and the scratches start to rust. With our galvanized chain on the dingy, it takes years before any rust starts to show and when it does the replacement cost is much less. That's just my experience. Chuck
Which just goes to show that folks have different experiences all of which are equally valid. However, the stainless 6mm chain I have was purchased in the French Islands - Martinique - so maybe that does make a difference. Mine was 316SS and I think the stuff sold in West Marine is 18-8 from China. 316ss has higher nickel content than 18-8 and that may make the difference. And unfortunately finding 316ss is getting more and more difficult. Most of the screws and bolts available these days are 18-8 or 300ss. You can still get 316ss screws/bolts from Jamestown Distributors - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ne=1&page=GRID
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote