Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 11:15   #1

Question ? on living aboard someone else's boat

I am in the process of buying a house (very long process) and I'd like to stay in the San Diego area while this whole process unfolds. I'm thinking it'll be another month. So, a friend suggested that people have, or hire, people to stay on their boats for security reasons or even to make money for rent on them. I'm looking for a boat I can stay on off an on during the week. I'm not home all the time because I'm a corporate flight attendant and travel often. If anyone can direct me to where I can find out more info on this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance to all that reply.
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:29   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would think that it would be a rare oppurtunity. Yet again this is America, and they don't take you outside to shoot you just for asking.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT? HUMMMMM now if you were located in Jax Florida I would be interested in this proposal. Of course my wife would club me to within an inch of my life, so maybe not....LOL....BEST WISHES in finding what you seek
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm not home all the time because I'm a corporate flight attendant and travel often.
It's not easy to sell the idea about security when you are not home often.

This really isn't very common. It tends to be in violation of the slip agreement and the owners boat insurance policy, and a few city code violations. So while someone might do it they won't usually do it for strangers or publicize it.

It puts you in an awkward position because if anything happens they claim they don't know you, never authorized you to be there, you don't have a rental agreement, and suddenly are in the middle of a nightmare. If they acknowledge they violated legal or insurance agreements they can lose it all. Bailing on you is the easier solution for them. Not all people are like this but I don't know a way to tell the difference unless you put them in that position.

This wouldn't be like you were just staying with a friend.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:56   #4

Someone who is away for the month might welcome someone who stays aboard and makes sure things are OK. Finding that person is the problem.

When I left my boat in Antiqua for a few weeks to attend a wedding stateside I got someone to stay aboard. It worked out. Good luck.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 08:53   #5

Thank you everyone for the valued info. I appreciate it. If the house falls thru I will be looking at living aboard my own boat. Then the problem will be to find a slip (from what I've read live aboards are not that welcome). Thanks again to all that replied! Cheers!
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 17:58   #6

Don't tell them and be discreet and you can live aboard especially if you come and go and sail it as well.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:48   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
would you consider a mooring situation??? i keep 2 sailboats on moorings in san diego and i am getting ready to take on to sacto delta, maybe---but i have 2 sailboats and i only use one---when do you need to do this??

pm me --i will be notified and get back to you......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 11:34   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WOW........what a great find......LOL.....that should teach me
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:16   #9

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
In both cases, San Diego and San Fran, we told the marina we were moving to the area and needed to liveaboard for a fixed period on our boat to find housing. Both marinas were very happy to give us a short term period for that. In San Diego, the slip agreement allowed us one 21 day "vacation" on our boat a year, so we used that, and then they gave us a two week "househunting" exclusion that they had written into their corporate rules. That was a CYM marina. In San Fran, we talked to the harbormaster at our marina, and he was amenable to having us stay aboard for 2 weeks if we would pay a "high use" fee that was equivalent to half month liveaboard rate. So -- if you really are looking for onboard while waiting for a house to close, if you can produce documentation of that house, etc., I've found marina managers willing to work with you. I've been totally amazed at what will be given is you just ask for it up front and work it out vs. trying to sneak.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there is one marina in san diego that always has slips---sun road--quite spensive--only ones really stay there long are the flight attendants and pilots---moorings are available on a temp basis---temp is just a name they use---my formosa has been on a temp ball for 4 1/2 yrs....temporarily....heehee........cal yacht is 2-3 hours away from the mouth of the bay, and the other marinas have no availability unless your boat is just the right size, whatever that is......sun road marina is very handy for the airport for the flight atendants and pilots who have boats and such--i donot think they did that deliberately, but it seems awefully convenient---there ae always slips there though, and the manager is named scott......goood luck.....should be easy for you as a flight attendant...gainfully employed.........

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard