Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 18:34   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: ...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

Ah, another Burroughs fan?

"and when you hit the prostate pearl sharp diamonds gather in the golden lad balls inexora-ble as a kidney stone…."
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 22:17   #47

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

I love to sail.. I love to race... I love to work on boats, and I am looking forward to (a very early) retirement as a full time live aboard/cruiser. That being said... I am also a "girly girl"!! I've had drawers filled with makeup, hair bobs... styling tools, closets FILLED to the rafters with gorgeous "girl clothes".. and over 100 pairs of high heeled shoes. (no.. I'm not kidding!!! lol) In other words.. I like to look feminine, pretty.. sometimes glamorous.. but always a GIRL!

I fully understand that I will not be able to bring it all with me. But I don't want to give up being a "girly girl". It's an integral part of who I am.

So, my question is: for those of you women who also love to be pretty and feminine... how do you do that on a boat in the tropics? What products and tools are "must haves"? And what should I toss? Any tips for keeping your skin and hair healthy and radiant? do you find certain styles of clothes and shoes work well in the tropics, but are still feminine and pretty? (I'm not the TEVA/Birkenstock kind of girl.. AT ALL!!) How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?! (lol.. perfectly painted toes are a MUST!!!) What about jewelry and accessories? Do certain types of jewelry not do well in the salt water environment? (i.e. silver.. pearls, etc)

... and anything else that fits in the category of "all things beautiful and girly"!
Ohhh me lucky singlehanded soul ...
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 23:17   #48

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Scarlet,

I think you may get better advice on the facebook group "women who sail"
My wife is a member and likes the site quite a bit. It is a very supportive group on all sailing topics, from diesel engine work to galley must haves. We have gotten good advice on many topics there.

Fair winds
I was thinking the same thing. You will love woman who sail Facebook group. We are a strong supportive community of female sailors who often meet up with each other when In the same anchorage or port. You can talk about anything from bath mats to rigging to storm tactics and can expect honest replies without judgement or sarcasm.
Anyway I have lived aboard for 2 years. I have ended up with 2 favourite dressy dresses in the cupboard next to my sun dress, wet weather gear and a few long sleeve cotton shirts (best sun protection in tropics). I have not needed the dressy dresses yet but you never know: an Occassion could arise. I had a pair of heels in the closet last year but left them at my mums house when I went back to visit and opted for a more versatile pair of strappy sandals that go with everything from shorts to the dressy dresses, which I occasionally wear in port to go out for dinner etc. Mostly bikini, shorts and tshirts get worn with bare feet or flip flops and, as ugly as they are, you do need wading sandals because of oysters etc. Occasionally a skirt, sundress or a sarong is handy, but I certainly use my thermals, hoody and beanie on cold passage nights moreso. My entire wardrobe (including makeup and jewellery) is what I would take if I were going on a 2 week sailing holiday expecting to encounter a range of weather, climates, locations and occasions. Less is more: You will undoubtedly discover you need less than you think. Re jewellery: my gold and diamond engagement/wedding rings handle weather and salt well but I take them off when sailing to avoid gruesome finger injuries. Others just wear sailing gloves but in the tropics it's hot, so I find it'll be time to tack or reef i won't have remembered to keep my gloves handy.
Sunscreen is the most Important thing for your skin. I wear tinted ones for every day wear and water-resistant ones for swimming. A 2mm Wetsuit is a must so you can snorkel longer. Nail polish dries without a problem but I find it doesn't last long and I forget to reapply because the outside world is so beautiful I am less concerned with myself.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:05   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Isn't it strange that the men always find room for their tools? [emoji57]
My partner manages both our wardrobes and I wear whatever she tells me to wear.

If its her favorite, I know I'm going to get lucky.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:05   #50

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey Scarlet - Don't forget to pack it all in hard-sided rolling suitcases. Do you like to bring lots of hard-cover books, too?
Your comments are neither helpful nor funny. This is a serious subject.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:32   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
Ohhh me lucky singlehanded soul ...
Single "handed" in more ways than one? 😆

There are distinct advantages to having an adventuresome and sometimes girly girl to share life with. Ive had the good fortune to have cruised with two (sequentially). Yes they pack along a lot of stuff, but in a cat they can have their own hull.

So Scarlet, my suggestion as a cruiser who has cruised with sometimes girly girls, is to designate a hull or at least a cabin as yours...all the girly stuff can go in there.

Also, there are times when cruising couples need some separation...you can then retreat to your own hulls/cabins.

We had an artsy friend who actually made humorous signs that were installed over the respective companion ways for each hull designating the his and her hulls. 😎
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:49   #52

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
Wink Re: ...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

I remember prepping on being a live a board full time and decided that I also didn't want to lose my feminine side(my husband likes me to be a girl). So I trimmed my shoe inventory(yep, close to 100 pairs) to the ones I love and found to be more sensible for boat life. (Love my Pikolinos!!some with heels). Also started looking at new clothes style. Found Title Nine and they have sports wear for girls!!! Jewelry? I've got it!!! So I started buying some great silver pieces(yes it tarnishes, oh well) pulled out my "small" pearls, found some great designer shell and bead pieces. The "big" "real" stuff will stay in a bank deposit box. Big diamond ring went to bank replaced with a "little" diamond band(and I kept it under 1/2 ct tw) so not to attract attention. Big diamond studs, to the bank and replaced with smaller studs and fun beaded dangles and such. I made it fun shopping for my new lifestyle but will not get rid of the real stuff as I may not be a forever live aboard and as life takes it's turns and twists, I might end up selling some of the jewelry and I may not(I've got options). Set your own style as that is what makes you, YOU. It is important to be safe and some already assume you are wealthy when you show up in your boat/yacht.
You will figure it out. Who says you can't have rhinestones on your flipflops( I do!). Pretty undies are a must!!! But so are my sports bras as I deal with ta -tas too. So when underway, I am ready for the sea and I'm looking good but when at anchor or at port I'm also ready to wear some real pretties. I've got some killer bikinis and dresses, skirts and skorts that allow me to bike, hike, sweat or swim. Can't do perfume as I am a mosquito magnet. So don't worry about what others think, just be yourself, live life and have fun.
I did put on board a pretty little gold chain-just in case
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 04:53   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ...On Being a &quot;Girly Girl&quot;....

Sarongs are girly and practical too. My girly girl has come up with all sorts of creative ways to tie them so that one piece of cloth makes many outfits.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 05:22   #54
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Just seems wrongClick image for larger version

Name:	article-0-1B950411000005DC-44_634x621.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	159364Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2329330-19F31DC2000005DC-165_634x860.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	159365
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 05:34   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Thanks for the fun read.

@most of the men- you guys should no when NOT to post!

@the ladies- well done.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 05:35   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

scarlet i found in tropics i donot need creams and lotions to keep skin good and hair shiny and lush. tropics does that..
i ditched the heels when the shoes got moldy. oopsy. shows how often i wore em.
vacuum sealed that which is not in use frequently or at all, and i make sure i have decent clothing for checking into port.
it is difficult to maintain girly girl affect with many simultaneous repairs being effected on boat.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 09:27   #57

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Huge difference between being feminine and dressing to Hollywood's styles. No one can ever take the feminine away from a woman. All the trappings and dressy stuff that television, magazines, and peers push at us have nothing to do with who we really are.
If you cannot feel pretty, feminine, and even glamorous without make-up and high heels; I'd suggest that sailing is not your thing.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 09:52   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

our who we are is within our selves. needs no things and no lotions no make ups that hide our countenance to find ..
as cruising lifestyle continues this inner self comes out. the fewer things we keep the better we get.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 09:57   #59

Quote:
If you cannot feel pretty, feminine, and even glamorous without make-up and high heels; I'd suggest that sailing is not your thing.
I'd suggest you're wrong. I've done both, very happily, for decades. And yes, there are heels, nice dresses, jewellery, & makeup on board. The heels just get carried off & put on once ashore.
Old 18-11-2017, 10:16   #60

To the OP, I suspect you've already got your answer, but I'll add that how you dress & what you pack is also highly dependent on where you are. Our former home port was frequented by mega yachts and the very wealthy. They did come down their passerelles in high fashion, stilettos, Gucci bags, Rolexes, and gaudy jewellery. Of course, they were dining out at extremely expensive restaurants with like-minded 'yachties'. Admittedly they weren't liveaboards but you do see every extreme in life afloat.