Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 01:41   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

We have a Den Haan which has stood up for to the marine environment for 20 plus years years. We have used it once!
I tried adding an image but still have not figured how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
So can anyone recommend a modern quality oil lamp for backup in the event all of your power was compromised?

The problem with candles in a hot tropical environment is they tend to transform into something unrecognizable...

Just sayin'

meatservo
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:01   #62

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We have a Den Haan which has stood up for to the marine environment for 20 plus years years. We have used it once!
I tried adding an image but still have not figured how to do this.
Select 'advanced' when formatting your reply..

Scroll down... 'manage attachments'...click

Choose file, upload file ( make sure not to big) , close window,

Preview post...post post....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan_Sanders_1978_HISTARMAR_.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	130485  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:12   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Many thanks El Ping !
Guess I should have looked a bit deeper. So, here is the attachment.
Presonally, I would not bother with an oil lamp again, We aso carry a Coleman petrol lamp with automatic ignition that gets used on forays ashore and that really produces serious light output - just remember to carry spare mantles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Select 'advanced' when formatting your reply..

Scroll down... 'manage attachments'...click

Choose file, upload file ( make sure not to big) , close window,

Preview post...post post....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	195168F-f.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	130486  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Your speculations may be criticized by some anti-speculators, but I suspect some speculating is useful to those with a more open mind considering things.
...or it's just another method of serial posting. If you really want to speculate, try your local coffee shop in the morning. There's usually a crowd there that has an opinion on everything that's going on in the world. Y'all fit right in.
I have a friend who is a writer. One of his characters in one of his books while standing in front of a window would duck every 5 seconds for 5 seconds. When asked why he did this, the character had speculated that if he ducked in this way, he reduced the chances of being hit by a rock by 50%.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45   #65

I have the Den Haan Trawler lamp.

I've owned it for more years than I can remember and it has been on 4 of my boats. A few years back I was selling my Rawson Pilothouse and a Russian chap was hassling me about it's patina appearance. I kept telling him I enjoyed the vintage look. He kept on and on about how I would like it better if I polished it up his way. I suppose he was speculating I would like it better that way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-09-2016, 09:16   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...or it's just another method of serial posting. If you really want to speculate, try your local coffee shop in the morning. There's usually a crowd there that has an opinion on everything that's going on in the world. Y'all fit right in.
I have a friend who is a writer. One of his characters in one of his books while standing in front of a window would duck every 5 seconds for 5 seconds. When asked why he did this, the character had speculated that if he ducked in this way, he reduced the chances of being hit by a rock by 50%.
Since you evidently don't like my posts, comments, opinions, writing style, or contributions to open discussions, why don't you simply ignore them?

I generally ignore your offtopic and snarky remarks. It is easy to do. I have done so since joining here.

Here is a friendly and simple suggestion for you: you can add me to your "ignore list" using the forum software, so you won't see my posts or comments.

I can only speculate why you don't.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:44   #67
cruiser

Quote:

I've owned it for more years than I can remember and it has been on 4 of my boats. A few years back I was selling my Rawson Pilothouse and a Russian chap was hassling me about it's patina appearance. I kept telling him I enjoyed the vintage look. He kept on and on about how I would like it better if I polished it up his way. I suppose he was speculating I would like it better that way.
Oh wait, I was wrong. The lamp you pictured is the he one we have.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52   #68

Boat: Hans Christian 41

We burn citronella lamp oil in our lamps, keeps the beasties away.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Since you evidently don't like my posts, comments, opinions, writing style, or contributions to open discussions, why don't you simply ignore them?

I generally ignore your offtopic and snarky remarks. It is easy to do. I have done so since joining here.

Here is a friendly and simple suggestion for you: you can add me to your "ignore list" using the forum software, so you won't see my posts or comments.

I can only speculate why you don't.
Your take is exactly what I expected. No reason to change anything you're doing. I'll stop since you like to bicker on.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Oh wait, I was wrong. The lamp you pictured is the he one we have.
In your earlier post you mentioned the heat they produce. After lighting them and letting them heat up, then throttling them back, I found mine to be an adequate heat source in an anchorage in Northern Ca. and even in Mx in the winter. I'll have to admit, I like them mostly for esthetic reasons...they give off a warm glow and look a little salty. Underway I bungie the base to the galley table and in rougher seas, wrap it in a towel and stow it in a locker. I also bought a baby one that I use on my back deck of my home in Ca. It's really useless for the boat.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ours is screwed to the bulkhead via a gimballed mount. To say it has a 'patina' is a bit of an understatement. We also use citronella oil - not sure if does any good tho'. We take our lamp out of the gimball and use it in the cockpit once in a blue moon. Its much easier and less hassle/risk just to use our yellow LED light. We also use a portable anchor light with a yellow wrap if we are out on the foredeck as it has a long power lead.

Quote:
In your earlier post you mentioned the heat they produce. After lighting them and letting them heat up, then throttling them back, I found mine to be an adequate heat source in an anchorage in Northern Ca. and even in Mx in the winter. I'll have to admit, I like them mostly for esthetic reasons...they give off a warm glow and look a little salty. Underway I bungie the base to the galley table and in rougher seas, wrap it in a towel and stow it in a locker. I also bought a baby one that I use on my back deck of my home in Ca. It's really useless for the boat.
Old 03-09-2016, 15:22   #72

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

The hurricane lamp hasnt changed in design for 100 years since it was invented. What has changed is the price – I bought 2 in a camping store because they were about half size and $12 each. I bought 2 that were even smaller for $6 each a while later – i liked the smaller ones as they seemed better in scale in my main saloon. I havent used them much in the last couple of years – they arent quite bright enough to read by and my fluoro cabin lights dont seem to overtax the batteries. But they are a pleasant light to sit around listening to the radio to, or just daydreaming...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 23:16   #73

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26
Wink Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Qoute: "Why didnt I already know about this!?!"

Cos of a guy called Jaydee - J.D. Rockefeller. His daddy was into oil too - snake oil :-)

We see the origins of the "Military Industrial Complex right here: In 1910, as I recall, the first "oilburners" were authorized for the USN, viz USS Nevada and the USS Oklahoma, both commissioned in 1916. Alfred Mahan, he of The influence of Sea Power upon History felt himself vindicated and permitted himself an extra glass of port. Instant shock and awe, instant "total spectrum dominance".

The Pommies hadn't done so badly either with Jackie Fisher's Dreadnaught and their Anglo-Persian Oil Company.

Also: Unter die Sonne, nichts Neues. But that's why you didn't know, and that is why there are still - a few - sperm whales left:-)

TrentePieds
Sorry, friend but even if the sun has a lot of a female in German its a male: Unter der Sonne nichts Neues.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 00:24   #74

Nope. The sun is most definitely female auf Deutsch. It's the moon that's male - weird, these Germans :-)

Nevertheless, you are right: I was wrong. Not because I gibbled the gender. but because I gibbled the declination. The article "die" is declined through the four cases, nominative, accusative, genitive and dative as "die", "die", "der", "der"

An arbitrary rules sez that the adjective "unter" always takes the dative case. I clearly "misspoke myself" [where did THAT come from?? Musta come via Ms. Google :-)] because I misremembered and mistakenly used the accusative case. Mea culpa!

Aber was machst du? Erweckst du die Toten :-)

Besten Grüße

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 21:21   #75

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:

I've owned it for more years than I can remember and it has been on 4 of my boats. ...
Funny, I have that lamp over the saloon table in my HR35 and I run a bungee to the table when sailing. Of course I live further north, but find it takes the chill off the spring/fall evenings.

Tags
hurricane, oil