Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 19:46   #46
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,673
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
So can anyone recommend a modern quality oil lamp for backup in the event all of your power was compromised?

The problem with candles in a hot tropical environment is they tend to transform into something unrecognizable...

Just sayin'


meatservo
LED lamps. Anything with fire is for ambiance these days not real light.
__________________

__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 19:51   #47
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,302
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post


Since you will be trying different oils, how about adding coconut oil to the list?

It will evoke a more tropical atmosphere to the cabin.
If any of you really get into veggie de-light, I suggest mixing some rosemary oleoresin into your lamp oil to retard spoiling. You can certainly burn rancid /stale oil but the smell won't be pleasant.

I would add lavender oil, but if you want the smell of old Mexico add a 50/50 blend lavender and rose EO. Smells just like everything paper or soap in Mexco.
__________________

__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 19:54   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
meatservo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DFW
Boat: wanting a cat
Posts: 405
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
LED lamps. Anything with fire is for ambiance these days not real light.
Good point, I'll drink to that!


So can anyone recommend a good modern oil lamp for ambiance?



meatservo
__________________
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 20:39   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 10,016
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
I would add lavender oil, but if you want the smell of old Mexico add a 50/50 blend lavender and rose EO.
Not so! For the REAL smell of old Mexico, add equal quantities of ground Comino and Chipotle chile... and prepare to salivate!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, back in Hobart for slipping and other unpleasant activities.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 21:03   #50
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,916
Images: 5
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I cook with olive oil, every day. I don't use it in a lamp.

Speculating is what most do in threads like this. It is part of a friendly discussion of a topic.

Have you tested olive oil against other oils in a lamp to see how it burns compared to other oils?
Unfortunately speculating is what is done a lot on this forum. It adds nothing. If you had tried it and had some facts to add, then it would be very useful as many people here have done. Based on some facts presented here, I might give it a try on my boat...in Mexico, where I am cruising. But I suppose someone could do it at home if they do not have a boat.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 21:16   #51
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: el campo
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,462
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not so! For the REAL smell of old Mexico, add equal quantities of ground Comino and Chipotle chile... and prepare to salivate!

Jim
Come on Jim, have you actually tried that in an oil lamp while at sea in a typhoon or are you only speculating
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 21:29   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nanaimo BC
Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Posts: 274
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Growing up on a gillnetter meant pulling an endless supply of ratfish out of the lead line. The livers make the best clock and gun oil ever. Never tried it it a lamp but I hear it works in the older less tech diesels. Dog fish livers were still being bought by govt for vitimin content but artificial took over cheaper. First nations sold 100s of 1000s of gallons of dogfish and basking shark oil to logging companies to lubricate the skid roads. Caterpiller put the kibosh to that one. Till the late '60s Engish margarine was whale oil as was Rolls Royce auto transmission oil. Trimming your wick is still a useful skill though.
__________________
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 22:23   #53
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,673
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
If any of you really get into veggie de-light, I suggest mixing some rosemary oleoresin into your lamp oil to retard spoiling. You can certainly burn rancid /stale oil but the smell won't be pleasant.

I would add lavender oil, but if you want the smell of old Mexico add a 50/50 blend lavender and rose EO. Smells just like everything paper or soap in Mexco.
Again, according to the lamp forum I found rancid olive oil actually burns better. My guess, and keep in mind I have never knowingly used an oil lamp, is that the extra oxygen from the oil being rancid helps it burn better.

But I know absolutely zero, and I didn't look deep enough to make sure the poster I am cribbing from isn't the lamp forum equivilant of Brent Swain.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 22:26   #54
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 6,507
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Good point, I'll drink to that!


So can anyone recommend a good modern oil lamp for ambiance?



meatservo
We have one of these Weems and Plath oil lamps, over $200 at West Marine, haven't used it since we sold our Hunter which required the use at anchages prior to the existence of low cost LED lanterns. We needed them for heat and light. We also had four smaller lanterns by Weems and Plath. We've since switched over to LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	130482  
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:08   #55
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 3,986
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Come on Jim, have you actually tried that in an oil lamp while at sea in a typhoon or are you only speculating
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:15   #56
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 3,986
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Again, according to the lamp forum I found rancid olive oil actually burns better. My guess, and keep in mind I have never knowingly used an oil lamp, is that the extra oxygen from the oil being rancid helps it burn better.

But I know absolutely zero, and I didn't look deep enough to make sure the poster I am cribbing from isn't the lamp forum equivilant of Brent Swain.
Your speculations may be criticized by some anti-speculators, but I suspect some speculating is useful to those with a more open mind considering things.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:18   #57
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 3,986
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Growing up on a gillnetter meant pulling an endless supply of ratfish out of the lead line. The livers make the best clock and gun oil ever. Never tried it it a lamp but I hear it works in the older less tech diesels. Dog fish livers were still being bought by govt for vitimin content but artificial took over cheaper. First nations sold 100s of 1000s of gallons of dogfish and basking shark oil to logging companies to lubricate the skid roads. Caterpiller put the kibosh to that one. Till the late '60s Engish margarine was whale oil as was Rolls Royce auto transmission oil. Trimming your wick is still a useful skill though.
Interesting.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:40   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
CLady's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: C&C40T 1980
Posts: 166
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

This is a really interesting thread--now I want to get a hurricane lamp to try this out with olive oil.
__________________
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:43   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 10,016
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Come on Jim, have you actually tried that in an oil lamp while at sea in a typhoon or are you only speculating
No, never in a lamp, but heaps of times in a fry pan! And never in more than F7...

JIm
__________________
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable II, back in Hobart for slipping and other unpleasant activities.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 00:25   #60
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: el campo
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,462
Re: Olive Oil For Hurricane Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, never in a lamp, but heaps of times in a fry pan! And never in more than F7...

JIm
I don't recall why I did it but I once hit a hot and dry frying pan with Tabasco sauce.

I do recall the result...a cabin full of tabasco aerosol.. not good....
__________________

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hurricane, oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Lamps feelsgood Liveaboard's Forum 78 30-08-2015 06:57
Want To Buy: Oil navigation lamps Dexterbase Classifieds Archive 0 06-10-2013 19:24
For Sale: Vintage Perko Brass Gimbaled Oil Lamps Kikorangi Classifieds Archive 4 23-08-2012 15:45
Want To Buy: Oil Lamps ( Anchor / Interior ) pressuredrop Classifieds Archive 10 17-07-2011 14:01
oil lamps? Aquah0lic Monohull Sailboats 5 13-05-2008 19:57


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.