Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24   #1
cruiser

OK, Small Snag on the New Boat . . .

I still havent rec'd the boat survey... I hope to get it this week... but, the owners are telling me they have fixed everything that was on the report.

but, during this time, I have been reading.. i have been reading forever, but recently been reading up on 'SELF-TAILING' winches... I dont know what or how they do what they do, but i have read that for solo sailing, self tailing is a big big thing...

And all winches are expensive... (I may even want electric but will not do that for quite the while until i figure things out)

but, for now, I am guessing that i would have to spend over a grand to get self tailing winches to replace the ones onboard already...

this makes the boat way more then other boats of similar 'quality' and size.. and that was the money I was going to use to install a bimini..

seems most boats have bimini and dodgers, but not this one...

ARRRGGGHHH

Do i have to start looking at other boats again... dang it...

Old 04-01-2011, 11:26   #2
cruiser

oh, and since I am on the subject....

What things should I make sure the boat has to be SOLO SAILOR friendly???

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28   #3
cruiser

also, since i am kinda rambling/ranting...

how come winches cost so much.. seems they cost as much as motors...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
What size boat? self tailers are nice, but not really needed. I'd put a bimini and maybe a dodger ahead of self tailers. If you look more closely though you may find that "most" boats don't have bimini's and dodgers.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I agree, self tailers are nice but certainly not needed. A self tailing winch keeps the sheets wrapped tightly around the drum and sheds the line automatically as it is winched. This allows one person to grind the winch without having to simultaneously pull the sheet as it exits the winch. It can also act as a cleat for the sheet that is managing, though everyone has their opinion whether that is proper or not. I can't encourage you enough to not worry yourself over this. A bimini is a huge plus if you liveaboard.

Don't bother with electric winches- if you think they cost a lot, just wait until you price out what it costs to get sufficient power to them.

Oh yeah- winches for the boats you are looking at only cost as much as engines if you are buying a really cheap engine! The more simple your boat, the more you'll use it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

As above on the self tailing winches.... nice but easy to live without.... when your cranking the winch you won't be using the other hand for anything other than balance anyway so holding/pulling on a rope as you winch aint no big deal.. then a single turn on a cleat...
As for Bimini and Dodger... I'd prioritise the Dodger/Sprayhood and leave the bimini as an add on luxury farther down the line...
The dodgers great for going to weather and keeps the rain outa the cabin most of the time unless slanting down from astern... all a bimini is is a sunshade..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:48   #7

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Self tailing winches have a set of "jaws" that grip the "rope" thus making it secure without tying it off to a cleat.

I have to agree with Boatman61 and Sailmonkey, although very nice to have, there are more important comfort items to consider.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Self tailing winches have a set of "jaws" that grip the "rope" thus making it secure without tying it off to a cleat.

I have to agree with Boatman61 and Sailmonkey, although very nice to have, there are more important comfort items to consider.
I also agree with the above....
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36   #9
cruiser

ok, thanks for the input.. i was 'worrying' myself, and probably scaring the sellers a bit too...

I wont be moving and or sailing in weather anytime soon...as i will be learning how to move the boat first.. so, shade might be more of an immediate albeit not as important over all
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40   #10

Electric winches... LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41   #11
cruiser

oh, the owner also indicated that the main sail is kinda big for a newbie, and mabye big for me to haul up or down, and i asked about REEFING the sail, and havent heard back yet.

but, can you REEF any/all sails? and if not, no big deal as i doubt I will be going out in weather anytime soon, and or going far.

I also dont have a problem in acquiring a smaller sail to have onboard and or use till i get better...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaasun71 View Post
Electric winches... LOL
yeah, i knew someone would say something... but, I have some limitations, and if I can benefit by some 'toy', and if i can afford it, I will... sorry...

I dont think I will have any troubles but I am not going to be any kind of extreme sailor... sorry
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
What size of boat? This will make a big difference. To me, self tailing winches would be a necessity unless we are talking 30' or less.

It sounds like you don't have much experience sailing so trying to manage without self tailing winches might be a real problem.

You might want to get an experienced training captain to help you out for a while until you learn enough to be safe.

I, and many others, don't have a problem with electric winches. If you don't have them you just have to learn a few tricks to make things easier.

Good luck with the boat.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53   #14

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Did you ever say what the boat is. I highly doubt your mail sail is too big for a noob, unless you are looking at a huge boat. Really huge.

Tell us what you are looking at.

Also for single handing, it's nice to have self tailers, and most of your lines lead aft, and an auto pilot, and a wind vane, and a Power Aide bottle in the cockpit.

All sorts of things. Good luck, and by all means ramble, at least you are asking questions. Thats always good.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58   #15
cruiser

one of the other things on my 'list', is to 'remodel'/redo the interior... I will be a single sailor, so no need for extra bunk/berths..

I would like to make the head a little larger and the main galley/sitting/navigation area larger...

I 'could' do a lot of work myself, but, I wont have any tools... i recently sold all my tools...and now only own a small plastic toolbox of hand tools...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: