Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59   #16
cruiser

oh, and sorry, i had posted teh boat info in another thread.

Im looking at a Cal2-29
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
On a cal 29 you don't need winches at all to raise the mainsail..........and if it's not blowing you really dont need self tailers since you will mostly just pull in the jib by hand.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06   #18

Self tailing winches can be a major help when single handing if you have to tack in close quarters to other boats. Otherwise you need two hands for the winch and one to steer, and the latter is more likely to go wrong fluffing the tack. However, since you are talking, if it is the same boat, a 29' with a wheel I imagine you can lock the wheel and get the jib close to right without the winch.
At $7500 you are not going to get everything, and a lot of things will cost quite a bit, like extras and repairs in relation to the purchase price. Electric winches? Maybe on a 60', though you do mention some disability. Depending on the nature and degree of this you may have problems with say the mainsheet, sail and anchor raising if jib winching is a problem.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09   #19
cruiser

Quote:
posted by the owner of the boat
the main sail in high wind could be a problem for a new sailor just because of the size of the sail.
I will ask what size sail it is...

also, the owner indicated she has her 100t captains license and has taught many others to sail... I offered to let her teach me as much as she is willing, and I would be willing to pay / compensate her as needed...

I am sure they will have no problem in sea trials and maybe a couple of other part day trips, but I would want to be compensated for most anything else...so I will have no problem in compensating them in anyway they want...

they have been very helpful and patient with me and I appreciate that...I am kinda fearing teh end negotiations as I think the boat is a decent deal for their asking price, but they have been trying to sell her for almost a year now and not have had any luck so I am guessing there is some wiggle room... I hate negotiations...

I may have to fly out there early to finalize that and some living arrangements and maybe some work on the boat while i am driving/moving there...

I found a boat here in So Cal, that has bimini/dodger/self tailing/ shower/solar/generator/travelor, organizers, clutches, wind vane, etc... and is clean and sound, for half the price of the Cal2-29

but, i hate it here, and would never think of swiming in the water here.. I could live here in the marina, but Iwould end up sailing south to mehico and I dont think I want to LIVE in another country... visit yes, but not stay there ...

I would love to be able to sail her to the gulf/keys area, but that would take me forever to learn how and be comfortable to do that anytime soon..
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
I still havent rec'd the boat survey... I hope to get it this week... but, the owners are telling me they have fixed everything that was on the report ...
Since they have the report, and you don’t as yet, I assume that this was a survey commissioned by them (or earlier).
You will need your own survey, prior to purchasing!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15   #21

Boat: Nordic 40
Give these a try. They are almost as useful as self-tailers, and a whole lot less. I put them on a Sabre 30 as a stop gap until I could afford new self tailing winches and once I used them I never considered the new winches again

Winchers Self Tailers
Sluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20   #22
cruiser

windlass was suggested early on, but the electric winch just came from some reading online... I doubt i will need it, and was just throwing it out there.. thinking if i incurred the cost of the winch, why not go all out for electric, but yea, getting electrical to it will be problematic too...

And yea, i am probably over thinking most everything, and will not be dumping a ton o money into this boat... I will be on teh cheap as much as possible, and will be woking with her as she sails now for quite a while as I learn the ropes...

for now, I would be happy just weighing anchor and motoring to a dock to get fuel and provisions... and going back and finding my mooring ball.

If i can accomplish that, I will be so effing happy, and getting happy with a beer or three...

to me that is my goal... my milestone...If i can do that, then i know i will be able to do anything...

I actually turned down an oppertunity with zeehag to hang out with her and sleep on board her 27', because i would have to row for few hundred yards, and climb on board without a ladder....

my concerns was being stuck at night and or not being able to clamor aboard, and or slipping in the dingy..

I kinda need someone to show me and support me at least once or twice, then after that, I am golden...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluce View Post
Give these a try. They are almost as useful as self-tailers, and a whole lot less. I put them on a Sabre 30 as a stop gap until I could afford new self tailing winches and once I used them I never considered the new winches again

Winchers Self Tailers
Nice link for Small boat owners... nice one Sluce... Thanks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Since they have the report, and you don’t as yet, I assume that this was a survey commissioned by them (or earlier).
You will need your own survey, prior to purchasing!
Although, I understand the inteent of having my own survey, I kinda wonder why?

this surveyor, (yes, i spoke with him), was hired by a prospective buyer last June. Teh buyer backed out as he would only use the boat 1-2 times per year, and he felt he could rent a boat for cheaper then buying and maintaining one.. .probably correct...

the surveyor was reputable enuf to let me know that he couldnt release the report to me or the owners without that person's approval... (the sellers had approval for one copy, but not two?)

I had some difficulty communicating my desire for them to send the info to me, vs them wanting to give it to me when i arrived.. but they are onboard now, and as far as i know the copy was mailed to me overnight delivery today???

but back to the issue of getting hte boat surveyed by me seems to be 'redundant'? Would you suggest i pay the same guy that did it before or should i pay someone else? and if there is discrepancies, then what? neither have liability..

but, if the first surveyor is reputable, and established in the area, I am assuming that he will certify his report to be fair and without bias..
Old 04-01-2011, 12:31   #25
cruiser

btw: OT suggestion for some that may not know... when saving stuff on your pc or as bookmarks and whatever, you can give it TAGS... and then when you go to the start button you can type into the search box the TAG name, and it will pull up anything with that tag...i.e. book mark that link and save it with a tag of self tailing conversion, then after, you can type conversion into the search field and bam...

sorry if you all know that.. but i just learned that last night...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:31   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
True, but he's only human and another set of eyes can spot what the first doesn't see.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44   #27

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I have a 43' ketch that I single hand a lot. There are very few times thatI would wish for self tailers. Just get my timing right when coming about and the jib will be closr to being trimmed. It's not like you need to use winches constantly, maybe if you race..

Just like when I'm raising my sails, you raise the main and mizzen probably within 1-2 feet of the masthead and just use the winch to snug them up. Same with the jib, except can probably raise it within 6-9 inches, then snug it up tight.

Trimmimng the main and mizzen is all done using tackles on the sheets, the jib will be tweaked out by the winch. IMHO, when cruising winches are about the least used item on the boat.

Self tailers are nice, expensive, but not necessary on small boats..

Hope you have a great ti,e..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55   #28
cruiser

thanks,

one of my first items done will also be to clean out the bilge and make sure the pumps work and to have water sensors installed... Im guessing that wont be an expensive item, (although i havent seen anything on any of the sites i have looked)..

but, in aquarium keeping, we have similar devices with low and high level alarms, and controls for pumps.

I kinda want to make sure the bilge and undersides are all clean and nothing growing under there...

I would like to figure out how to get below deck and see all this stuff, although it cant be too difficult as it should be accessible right?? Ive read a few threads about cats finding their way below...

I would like to understand teh mechanics and plumbing of the boat also...

Is gray water stored and pumped, or can it be pumped overboard? how often is the black water tank pumped?
Old 04-01-2011, 13:07   #29
cruiser

maybe the best way to describe my 'limitations' / disability is that I am 52, but feel and move like i am 66

I have back issues, and walk slow, get up slow, move slow, and basically do most everything slow/deliberately.. I think I am weaker then I should be because i dont do much, and believe if ic an do stuff, I would and I would be stronger...

moving around on a small boat and pulling on lines seems to be something i can do... replacing the motor, ... not so much...

sanding the hull, and scraping the hull, and swimming, definately yes, but not for long periods...weighing anchor, maybe slowly, maybe ith a break or two depending on how much rode is out... ...

one think I am kinda interested in is hwo quickly things happen... i am guessng not very quickly, 'cept when mooring/docking but after that, not so much...

things would be different if i had a partner, but that isnt for me... and as far as ic an tell not necessary for living aboard and occasional sailing...

hope that helps...
Old 04-01-2011, 13:17   #30

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
one of the other things on my 'list', is to 'remodel'/redo the interior... I will be a single sailor, so no need for extra bunk/berths..

I would like to make the head a little larger and the main galley/sitting/navigation area larger...

I 'could' do a lot of work myself, but, I wont have any tools... i recently sold all my tools...and now only own a small plastic toolbox of hand tools...
watch for bulkhead "walls" that can not be moved. you would be surprised at how much can not be moved due to the fact they use it to support hull, deck, and mast if deck stepped.

Right off the bat you need to find someone to sail with, IMHO if you have this many questions about sails, winches, single handing should be down your list a bit. Learn the boat and make adjustments as needed to single hand it later.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote