Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 22:26   #1
cruiser

OK, How About a Little Gamble ?

30' Morgan Out Island Sloop, 1977, "305" Model - eBay (item 110635840387 end time Jan-20-11 14:07:41 PST)

wonder what a lowball bid would look like?

Im guessing i could have the engine rebuilt for a couple grand, and another couple grand for misc interior, and head, and maybe as long as she is structurally sound, should be a good deal...

let me know, and i will call them tomorrow and get a survey done???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:34   #2
cruiser

also, i dont see the travelor and I only see two winches... hmmm..
Old 16-01-2011, 23:07   #3
cruiser

or how about this one...

it's near me... could be worht a change in destination

Newport 28, Roller Furling, Yanmar Diesel, very clean - eBay (item 120670366457 end time Jan-17-11 19:15:00 PST)
Old 16-01-2011, 23:09   #4
cruiser

there are some 'bargains' out there...

27 TARTAN SAILBOAT NEW ENGINE VERY CLEAN NO RESERVE - eBay (item 250751350514 end time Jan-12-11 15:30:00 PST)
Old 17-01-2011, 04:16   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I LOVE that you ar elooking for boats that are a bit closer to you. I just don't think Ebay is the way to go. Its as is, you can't get a good idea of the condition and its designed to make the winner be the person who parts with the most cash.

I try to "stay in my lane" so I'll probably never give you advice on how to maximize your performance via sail trim. Boat shopping is shopping and shopping IS my lane. Going off to have a look at some listings...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 04:28   #6

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Berg, I know its not FLorida and I'm not certain if the budget will work but Ocean Girl is selling her Cape Dory. Points in its favor: 1. Ocean Girl the sailor knows what she's doing so Ocean Girl the boat has been well cared for. 2. A Cape Dory is a great, solid boat that will take care of you 3. Its in Texas- not quite Florida but its less expensive than Florida and we Texans tend to be a friendly lot.

If it were me, I'd be having a conversation with OG...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 04:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
ditto that on cape dory's,just delivered a 33ft 4500miles,in 37 days sailing
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:50   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

I haven't read all your recent posts - but seemed very clear you don't really know what you are doing. And that not meant as criticism, just how it appears. (BTW on this Boat Forum I can tut tut on your plans along with the best of 'em - but I can sympathise, elsewhere on the internet I am early in the learning curve for building a Pyramid that is bigger than anything the Egyptians had and it's all new to me, and I am sure mistakes will be made ).

Coupled with money being an issue, then, unless you are very very lucky, you are simply going to be throwing your money away by buying with so little idea of what you are looking at, let alone buying sight unseen. (not sure if 2nd hand boat Vendors are better or worse than 2nd hand car dealers - but it's close either way ).

......and if you are that very very lucky I would also buy a lottery ticket

In your shoes I would be scrambling all over "for sale" boats in your area, even those that are unsuitable (in type / size / condition / value - up & down) to learn your way around and then to start collecting numbers on the fixes ($$$ & time, proffesional and DIY). I would also be chatting to folks down the dock / Marinas, especially those armed 24/7 with hammer & paintbrushes.

I am sure Vendors will not thank me for encouraging a time waster , but IMO that down to them and their screening process - which BTW even when you are "serious" with cash burning a hole in pocket will be something you need to consider, so a bit of practice at looking serious / knowledgeable no bad thing as well
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:21   #9
cruiser

mimzy, which boat / ad was ocean girls... and i have always looked at boats closre to me.. i lamented that they were a bit cheaper here before.. very tempting and the ability to see them before buying them, which is what i will do in Florida or wherever the wind blows me...

I will never like Cali waters though so all my effort will be to learn and float thru the canal... so, cost will never be 'cheaper' overall.. but it will save me from driving the truck, which I will end up haveing to sell if i float... which will be a drag as i just put $4000 into it in the last 7 months... dont ask, it was a bad deal but it happened in stages that made sense at the time... but now it has a new motor in it...

anyways... pros, cons, pros, cons, pros, cons.. my life is filled with them and my gambling history is the same, i end up with the CON, no matter what planning and effort i put into it...

All the ebay ads i showed i asked the sellers if i could condition the bid with a boat survey, and so far only one said replied and they said yes...

and this seems to coincide with a couple other suggestions about getting wet first on the cheap, just to learn witout risking too much... as i can not afford to buy and sell and then move and then buy again....
Old 17-01-2011, 06:29   #10

I really like Morgans but that ebay ad is sketchy. There are no pics of the inside and the motor status just says needs valve job. And needs sole repair. So i read it as the interior was wet and soaked probably sunk since there are no pics and all the cushions are gone. Valve job on a yanmar ?? possible but figure on replacing it with new.Rebuilding is only an option if you can get the parts. I got the last 3HM pistons in existence according to Yanmar on my rebuild last week so parts availability must be verified
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Berg... boats are on E-Bay cheap for one simple reason... they're not selling anywhere else coz often they're a bunch of crap that even I'd balk at... and I've bought the odd piece of crap but I knew what I was doing to a fair extent...
If you can find a good boat like OG's its worth considering if its in your price range... though I think this maybe over your budget.
You want something that needs no/minimum interior work so you can move st8 onboard.. scruffy exterior is no big deal... dry is...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:48   #12
cruiser

thanks, i wouldnt bid on them unless i had some way of verifing them prior to final sale... and I thought it would be easy to find parts for yanmars... seeing as how popular they are...

someone should start machining those parts right away to fill the gap in the market... what a shame...
Old 17-01-2011, 06:50   #13
cruiser

and a couple of the boats i saw on ebay are also on Yachtsworld, but for higher prices...

so yea, i understand that if they arent selling elsewhere it's sold on ebay or craigslist...

just like my house furnishings... hehehehe
Old 17-01-2011, 06:54   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
25 Ft CAPE DORY Sailboat 1976

CAPE DORY 28' SAILBOAT ~ CLASSIC ~ REDUCED

Don't want to upset you but I tend to sort of agree with DOJ.

Why is OG selling?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:59   #15
cruiser

i saw this boat listed before...

is she on this forum? do you all know her? sounds like it? I was totally interested in this boat too..

I will contact her...

thanks

b

sorry, thought thse ads were for the 'ocean girls' boat?

but now, Im not sure ? maybe i should have my coffee now?