Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 15:55   #151

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

As resident in the US state od Maryland I became unemployed and lost my health ins. In Maryland as in many states if you are turned down by 2 or more providers you can join the state employees health program and cannot be rejected for pre existing conditions.

You have to pay for it 100% but with a large deductable it is affordable. The care level locally is beyond great.

As a cruiser it is not the cuts and scrapes that worry us it is the the bigger issues. Local clinics are cheap providers for the little stuff and the medicine at reasonable prices. A flu exam and antibiotics to see it through in the Bahamas cost about $35.

I have a copy of the "OBamacare" bill on my computer and have read it front to back. There are some great items in there and some truly disturbing things. I simply wish this would have been a step program starting with catastrophic health care.

The Pres made it easier to not lose your house because you bought a crappy mortgage.... I would have hoped Obama care would have helped you keep the house when you have catastrofic heath issues. It does not.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 09-11-2012, 16:00   #152

I can tell you that the US health care system is broken. Too much fraud, litigation, waste and greed. Every small town Dr makes $500k per year. Canada has a much more successful model. Obama care is not the answer.....the federal govt can't even run the Post Office.....but at least it's an attempt at a solution. Maybe they'll tweak it enough to improve it. The real solution involves tort reform which will never happen when the majority of the legislators are themselves attorneys.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:06   #153

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

In 2,000 + pages of Obamacare there is no mention of Torte Reform or Insurrance reform for the doctors that will be seeing you. Who is pulling the strings?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 09-11-2012, 16:08   #154

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Does anyone know what it is about political thought that makes it different from '1 hull or 2?'?
Yeah,
Hull # 1 or #2 is a voluntary CHOICE you make.

Obamacare is at the point of a gun.

That's not political speculation, it's a fact.

Ayn Rand
Old 09-11-2012, 16:32   #155

Boat: Columbia 41

I am 62 and pay $203 per month for a Kaiser Per. policy. The policy comes with a $9k dedecutable. If you want someone else to pay for the small stuff it is going to cost you.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:41   #156
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There is no review board to "see if you are worthy" but perhaps there should be based largely on BMI I would argue.

I doubt the Affordable Care Act will cover any type of international coverage so unless you are talking about coastal US cruising, I wouldn't get excited.

if you are suggesting you are in the perfect position to get a free lunch based on your particular situation, I'm sure you won't be the first. Any congressman that has served 5 years then gets a full pension and health care comes to mind.
Rick Santorum comes to mind. Alan West will be SOL.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:48   #157

Boat: Island Packet 32

The reason an ER visit in the US costs $3,000 (from page 3, I think) is that the hospital sets its 'charges' higher than its 'costs.' It has been demonstrated that people with insurance and a modicum of money are healthier than people with no insurance and no money - a bitter pill perhaps, but that's what the research shows.

As has been said, no one in the US is "denied" medical care. If you go to the ER of any hospital that accepts Medicare or Medicaid $$, you will get an examination. If you have a serious medical problem, in the opinion of the practitioner, you get treated.

For most hospitals in the United States, the Medicare system pays approximately 100% (on the average) of the actual cost of caring for a patient. There is no "profit" built into that. The Medicaid system on the average pays approximately 65% of the actual cost of care. Then there are lots of folks that have no insurance, and the hospital receives nothing at all.

So the ER charges reflect both the cost of care of you, plus some part of the cost of care of others who cannot or will not pay.

The O'care plan shifts the responsibly to pay 'something' to either the state (through the Medicaid system) or directly to the federal government. Where the money that those entities will use to pay the provider, is - well, a crap-shoot.

Bottom line, it simply doesn't make a lot of difference. Now the US will simply print more money to pay providers - until ..... and that is the question that this thread doesn't address.

Neither Medicare nor O'care will provide payment for services rendered outside the US.

And finally, the choice of what you receive will not be up to you. Service will be "rationed" - in that a person of 80 years should not expect to receive 2 more pacemakers in her/his lifetime.

The O'care bill is - 'interesting' reading. I've read it. All.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:48   #158

Boat: Columbia 41

I have my money with UBS. I talked with my account manager yesterdsy and yes, they do have a Melbourn and Sidney office. It would take about three minutes to transfer my money out of the country. I really have no interest in free stuff and that includes government cheerse. I just want to be left alone.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:58   #159

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
You still own your shares. It is not double taxation. Income under the tax code is "an accession to wealth clearly realized". Why is dividend income (or any other cap gain) not that? It is no different than receiving rent on a property you own.
The difference is that you only pay tax once on the earnings from the rental property.

In a corporation, it pays tax, then it pays dividends out of what is left over AFTER tax. And you get to pay tax also, albeit, at a lower rate.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:02   #160
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Not that I claim to be an expert in this field, but both my brother (hospital administrator) and step mother (head of the masters in medical management at Tulane University) are. Instead of responding off the cuff I asked them a) what the ACA generally is, and b) the major parts of the plan.

From them the boiled down simple answer is that the ACA does not provide insurance for anyone, nor does is regulate the practice of medicin. What it can best be considered is a massive rewrite of the health insurance regulations dealing with what insurance policies must cover, how they have to deal with clients, and the way that risk pools are constructed and maintained.

She then suggested I take a look at Healthcare Management | Healthcare Consulting | Behavioral Health Consulting | Behavioral Health Management that has an expert though uncomplicated review of what the act actually does. From them I am going to post a brief synopsis of what the ACA actually does, and the changes it makes.

- health insurers can no longer refuse or drop coverage based on patients’ medical histories or because of a pre-existing condition
- health insurers cannot charge different rates based on patients’ medical histories or gender
- establishes minimum standards for qualified health benefit plans
- young adults can remain covered under parents until age 26
- most employers must provide coverage for their workers or pay a surtax on the workers wage up to 8%
- an expansion of Medicaid to include more low-income Americans by increasing Medicaid eligibility limits to 150% of the Federal Poverty Level and by covering adults without dependents as long as either or any segment doesn’t fall under the narrow exceptions outlined by various clauses throughout the proposal
- a subsidy to low- and middle-income Americans to help buy insurance
- a central health insurance exchange where the public can compare policies and rates
- requiring most Americans to carry or obtain qualifying health insurance coverage or possibly face a surtax for non-compliance
- a 5.4% surtax on individuals whose adjusted gross income exceeds $500,000 ($1 million for married couples filing joint returns)
- inclusion of language originally proposed in the Tax Equity for Domestic Partner and Health Plan Beneficiaries Act
- inclusion of language originally proposed in the Indian Health Care Improvement Act Amendments of 2009

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:02   #161

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The difference is that you only pay tax once on the earnings from the rental property.

In a corporation, it pays tax, then it pays dividends out of what is left over AFTER tax. And you get to pay tax also, albeit, at a lower rate.
Right - *the corporation pays tax* not you. Your tenant pays tax on her income before she pays you rent too. This is like the estate tax argument, it is word play. When wealth transfers, it is income and it is taxed (unless you are rich and can control legislative policy in order to craft an exception to the definition of income).
Old 09-11-2012, 17:05   #162

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar
Do not know about you guys, but when I retire I will be going to the Caribbean.

Obamacare will not cover me in the Caribbean.

It's all good, No worries. I will take a box of bandages and pay for local dentist and doctors out of pocket as we go.
I will be in the 32` ketch right behind you.

Linus Pauling showed that vitamins and 90 minerals will get a person soundly into their old age without doctors.

I place the AMA bunch ln the same Looney farm as lawyers.

Doctors always see people as human lab rats. The 1% will always see the 99% as servants and slaves. Changing the tax code (all obamacare is is a new and larger tax) is only going to make it worse for the working stiff.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:10   #163

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBob View Post
And finally, the choice of what you receive will not be up to you. Service will be "rationed" - in that a person of 80 years should not expect to receive 2 more pacemakers in her/his lifetime.
This is no different than what insurance companies do now.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:16   #164
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

HAHAHA

After you retire by your boot straps you will then come back to the US and put your healthcare on the government. otherwise you'll die in the gutter in the 3rd world like everyone else.

Seriously, are people thinking of moving to Australia to escape Obama? you guys need a reality check. The first will be house prices, second personal tax rates plus GST then, have a look at there health care system.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:17   #165

Stumble:

Thank you for Facts!

Most useful post thus far IMHO
Closed Thread

Tags
retirement