Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 13:11   #91

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

It will be a lot cheaper to pay the yearly penalty, and just move to Gulfport, FL.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:11   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
All of this is based on the fact that your situation is not put in front of the review board. Then if they decide your not worthy of the coverage, your basically screwed.

Another caveat, probably no insurance coverage would exist for you after that.

Not my idea of an even trade off.

James L

This is already true of private health care. I will never forget when my late husband needed emergency bypass surgery to save his life at 3AM on a Sat. Morning. The insurance company wasn't open to give permission to save his life. the doctors assured us that they would be able to make it work but he went under wondering if we were incurring a massive debt.

It was Monday afternoon before they approved it. He had had the surgery by then.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:13   #93

Quote:
By the way, my wife read me something that everyone who is older and has private insurance will need to consider. We are not sure how accurate it is.

Obama care has "standards of treatment". Even if you have private insurance, the doctors can only provide the services that has been stated approved by the government. Even if you can afford the extra services, the point is moot. The doctors will not be able "legally" to render those services.

Even being rich will not get the care you need. Only being a Senator or Congressman would get you the treatment, as they are "exempt" from the "standards".

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/arc...0/apr/10040115

Scroll down to "other issues".

Sorry to burst bubbles here......I think purchasing that boat just got moved to the top of my list.

James L
Okay, not to pick on you James L but this is exactly what I'm talking about!!! You even start your post saying you're not sure how accurate the info is but then go on to repeat it as if it is true anyway. It's not. If you can afford to pay for treatment that isn't covered, there is no way your government is going to stop you from doing that. Why would they? It defies any common sense. Rich people do what they want, always have, always will.

Lifesitenews is not a news site, it's a pro-life propaganda organization. They have an agenda. It's fine if you want to read their stuff but don't kid yourself or anyone else that this is "objective" news.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:14   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
This is already true of private health care. I will never forget when my late husband needed emergency bypass surgery to save his life at 3AM on a Sat. Morning. The insurance company wasn't open to give permission to save his life. the doctors assured us that they would be able to make it work but he went under wondering if we were incurring a massive debt.

It was Monday afternoon before they approved it. He had had the surgery by then.
No that is the problem. This system doesn't allow the medical treatment beyond the standards.

I'm not talking about paying for it....the procedure isn't allowed.

You need to read the link I posted a few messages back.

James L
Old 09-11-2012, 13:15   #95
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Dave, thank god for the NHS (National Health Service). It would worry me cruising the US if something went wrong.

What happens in the US if you don't have insurance and something serious goes wrong like a badly broken leg?

Pete

I can tell you that I had breast cancer seven years ago, and paid off the last bill in January of this year. It was hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:19   #96

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Wikipedia link to Obamacare provisions. Note the 6th bullet point under Overview regarding coverage, ie "minimum standards for health insurance policies to be established...". Elsewhere I found that there will be several levels of coverage with one referring to Bronze, Silver and Gold levels with Bronze having a $6,500 deductable per person, $10k max out of pocket per family per year with 80% coverage. Also, farther down in the report, there is a premium graph that seem similar to the premiums the OP was quoting, though there is no mention or what is actually covered. I'm guessing we may not know the coverage levels until they have to revealed when the policies hit the market next fall.

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-11-2012, 13:21   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I can tell you that I had breast cancer seven years ago, and paid off the last bill in January of this year. It was hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I broke my pinky last year. That was $13,000
(half my annual income)

It's simply unsustainable.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:22   #98

Boat: Hans Christian 33

When I am ready to cruise next year, I will just take my chances and live my life without costly insurance like the billions of people who came before me.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:23   #99

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I broke my pinky last year. That was $13,000
(half my annual income)

It's simply unsustainable.
Really? You had to pay 13k for a broken pinky?

Within the past 3 years I broke my wrist and my toe and healed both without medical care.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:25   #100

Quote:
The only facts are opinions. This isn't in effect yet. So only the wording comes into play.

Sorry, it just the situation at this point.

James L
Wrong. The difference between facts and opinions as per Wikipedia.

FACT: A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments.

OPINION: In general, an opinion is a subjective belief, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. It can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.[1] In casual use, the term opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. It may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:30   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Wrong. The difference between facts and opinions as per Wikipedia.

FACT: A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments.

OPINION: In general, an opinion is a subjective belief, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. It can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.[1] In casual use, the term opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. It may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.
Have you read the passed bill?

I have, or at least tried. I can read about 98% of legaleze, and trust me when I say, they picked very specific verbage to write this one. It is almost impossible to make heads or tails from.

Why wasn't it written on the standard legal verbage?

Facts will only be after the situation is affecting many, who will have no recourse to change it.

Share some facts with us, if you have any......please.

James L
Old 09-11-2012, 13:33   #102

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior

As a neighbour if we did reduce the defense budget by 20% yours would have to go up 50%...think about it.
So, everyone is just itching to invade Canada and only being held back by the might of the USA?

Also, I would like to remind everyone that most of the healthcare act was written by the healthcare industry. There is little to itching in there that is going to make the insurance industry go broke. Having more reasonably healthy young adults covered will make up for any loses they might face by overnight less healthy individuals; contraceptives are cheaper than maternal care...
Old 09-11-2012, 13:34   #103

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

FWIW, the only reason I was waiting until 55 to retire was employer-based medical.

Much now depends on how cost controls evolve over the next decade, but I now have hope of <55 retirement, while without OC I surely had none.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:36   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Really? You had to pay 13k for a broken pinky?

Within the past 3 years I broke my wrist and my toe and healed both without medical care.
Yep, bone behind the pinky, 5th metacarpal. Had to have surgery and pins.

Right before that I broke my Arm, upper humerus right below the shoulder and that was $30k

And a couple years before that an ambulance ride & broken clavicle was $9,000 and they didn't do a damned thing.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:36   #105

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

My wife's injuries in 1971 were covered to 80%. we paid the balance, about $9000. Simple math shows the bills about $45,000. We bought are first house the next year, for $35k, and it was sold by three owners later, about 5 years ago for $325k. Injuries in 2003, we had to go out of network which pays 80%. With negotiations with everyone, we still had to pay about $50k. We have a mortgage on our retirement house now, where it would have been almost paid off. The Dr's in NYC quite often don't contract with any insurance companies, and when asked, the replied that with the level of care that they give, they can't be constrained by the insurance companies. Back in '71, at Christmas, vendors would give us bottles of licquor for gifts. Not drinking whiskey, I traded them to a licquor store who we had insurance through. He was a family friend, and part of a merchants group, and the more people he had, the rates would be lower. I would trade two or three cased of booze for tow to three months of coverage. I think the premium was $90/month. The highest I paid was $1800/month for two of us, but premium coverage. Right now, I have a $1500 deductible, which I have only paid about $300 towards, and the premium is $550/mo.
Closed Thread

Tags
retirement