Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 13:55   #76
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The OP has apparently not yet read the fine print in the 2200 page Obama Care package. I'm not counting on receiving any "free" USA healthcare. Will set up our own catastrophic coverage policy with a private carrier, then take care of minor stuff with cash. Self reliance is best.

I really can't see ever checking into a medical facility anywhere very far outside the USA and presenting some Obamacare Medical Card and expect to be taken care of... heck, most medical doctors today are refusing USA government insured patients. Cash and private insurance is the way to go.
What happens when you are refused private insurance because of pre-existing conditions, or you are dropped by the carrier?
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 13:58   #77
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookish1 View Post
Our $3,000/month cruising budget hinged on health care costs. With pre-existing conditions, we could not have afforded to cruise and pay $1,200+/month for health care. Risking going without was not an option.

With Obamacare now a certainty, a cruising couple making less than $50,000/year from any form of income (no means testing!) will not pay more than 9.5% of income for health insurance ($395/month!)

Whether we like or don't like Obamacare, the economic reality for us, is that retiring and cruising is now possible and I'm wondering if it has had the same effect on anyone else??

Seven years ago I was retired and well off. However, both my late husband's retirement program and my teacher's retirement program cancelled health care for their retirees.

Then I got breast cancer. I have medicare now but seven years ago I would cheerfully have paid the cost of Obamacare. If I had, I would not now be living month-to-month. All of my retirement cushion and then some went to surviving cancer. I too am uninsurable and have actually met people who are *certain* it's my fault. I have cerebral palsy but have learned to walk so well that it is not immediately apparent, but it made me uninsurable at any cost.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 13:59   #78
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
Evidently you haven't compared the cost of our health care with theirs.

James L
Our Canadian medical costs as a percentage of GDP are 1/3 less than in the States. We live longer. I suspect there is a ton of inefficiency in the US model.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 13:59   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 382
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

It would be soooo cool if we could refrain from spewing opinions and speculation, really. The OP looked at the facts of his situation and based on those facts, decided to share with everyone that he will be able to cruise earlier than planned because he won't be paying outrageous health care premiums. I think this is awesome. He wanted to know if other folks had done their own math but what he got was a whole lotta opinion and political crap spin which will likely ensure this thread gets turfed pretty quickly.

To get things back on track it would be awesome if people would refrain from spouting off unless they actually have some FACTS to share. Specific, personal experiences - not my brother's boss's neighbour's cousin had X happen. Seriously, this is how politics (and other stuff) gets so messed up! Opinions without facts or facts taken so far outta context and twisted as to be completely meaningless (jeep jobs to china ads ring a bell anyone?!)

C'mon folks, I know you can do it. Please try to be a little more open-minded and thoughtful in your responses. Your friends and neighbours on this board, regardless of political spots, sure would appreciate it.
__________________
terminalcitygrl is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:01   #80
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
What happens when you are refused private insurance because of pre-existing conditions, or you are dropped by the carrier?

Obamacare isn't perfect, but until it passed we were the only first world country not smart enough to figure out how to do this. It's OS 1.0. It's not going to be perfect. Who would want to run their computer today with DOS? Remember that? Typing in the commands?
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:02   #81
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
That's a pretty amazing statement. I understand a lot of the lies (rationale) used to perpetuate unfair practices. Income is income, except when it isn't.
Dividend income is after tax paid by the corporation. Should that be taxed twice? The investor bought the shares with after tax money, so the initial investment was tax in.

You don't get taxed twice on your salary, why should you investment income be taxed twice?
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:03   #82
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
What happens when you are refused private insurance because of pre-existing conditions, or you are dropped by the carrier?
You don't. You can't be denied for pre-existing. But you may not be covered for some either. If the condition is listed out side the standards for your age. You just don't get medical coverage for it.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:04   #83
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Uh... You do know that "Obamacare" passed a couple of years back, don't you? Nothing at all changes in that regard with this latest election, especially since the balance of power in Congress remains practically unchanged.

Actually something very big has happened -- actually, several big things. Any number of attempts to torpedo it have failed, including a proposed amendment to the FL Constitution, and the leading Republican has announced that it's the law of the land and we have to find a way to live with it.

Not fighting over it any more will be a HUGE step forward, and will allow the better parts of both parties to look for ways to make it work better.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:04   #84
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
It would be soooo cool if we could refrain from spewing opinions and speculation, really. The OP looked at the facts of his situation and based on those facts, decided to share with everyone that he will be able to cruise earlier than planned because he won't be paying outrageous health care premiums. I think this is awesome. He wanted to know if other folks had done their own math but what he got was a whole lotta opinion and political crap spin which will likely ensure this thread gets turfed pretty quickly.

To get things back on track it would be awesome if people would refrain from spouting off unless they actually have some FACTS to share. Specific, personal experiences - not my brother's boss's neighbour's cousin had X happen. Seriously, this is how politics (and other stuff) gets so messed up! Opinions without facts or facts taken so far outta context and twisted as to be completely meaningless (jeep jobs to china ads ring a bell anyone?!)

C'mon folks, I know you can do it. Please try to be a little more open-minded and thoughtful in your responses. Your friends and neighbours on this board, regardless of political spots, sure would appreciate it.
The only facts are opinions. This isn't in effect yet. So only the wording comes into play.

Sorry, it just the situation at this point.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:05   #85
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Obamacare isn't perfect, but until it passed we were the only first world country not smart enough to figure out how to do this. It's OS 1.0. It's not going to be perfect. Who would want to run their computer today with DOS? Remember that? Typing in the commands?
You mean writing batch files to create menus? You bet.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:05   #86
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Not everyone knows that we have been paying for the uninsured to get health care through decades in a very expensive way- hospital and ER care. If you are uninsured with no assets in the US, you don't come to the inner city practice where I work. You just wait until you get really sick, get admitted to an ICU. You can't pay your 50,000 bill. Who pays for that? taxpayers.

I know 50 K will more than cover the cost of 1 patient FOR LIFE in my practice, including most tests I would send them for.

The expansion of medicaid in the Affordable Care Act should actually save money. Trust me, folks aren't just dying without insurance, they're just waiting to access care until they have no choice, and at the point at which I can't treat their disease as an outpatient. Then they are plugged into the high cost medical system.

As an aside Americans want their healthcare to be cheap, quick, and unlimited. Unfortunately it's like wishing for an inexpensive, fast, strongly built sailboat. You can really only have 2/3.
__________________
malbert73 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:06   #87
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Our Canadian medical costs as a percentage of GDP are 1/3 less than in the States. We live longer. I suspect there is a ton of inefficiency in the US model.
And Profit, and profit on the inefficiency.
__________________
xymotic is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:07   #88
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Are you saying thank you for us paying so that you can go cruising???

You don't have to be cruising to need health care. he was trying to keep it related to sailing, but in fact injuries while sailing are fairly common. Health care is relevant. I want everyone in the United States to have health care, and I take our Canadian friend's point: they DO spend less on health care while assuring it for all.

By the way, the only reason I'm eligible for Medicare is that my husband has passed away and he was in social security. As a public employee (special education teacher), if I had remained single, I would not have been eligible for Medicare. My medicare card has my late husband's SSN on it.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:08   #89
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
You don't. You can't be denied for pre-existing. But you may not be covered for some either. If the condition is listed out side the standards for your age. You just don't get medical coverage for it.

James L
Being Canadian, I can't even fathom that not getting medical coverage because of a preexisting condition. Different solitudes for sure.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 14:09   #90
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Not everyone knows that we have been paying for the uninsured to get health care through decades in a very expensive way- hospital and ER care. If you are uninsured with no assets in the US, you don't come to the inner city practice where I work. You just wait until you get really sick, get admitted to an ICU. You can't pay your 50,000 bill. Who pays for that? taxpayers.

I know 50 K will more than cover the cost of 1 patient FOR LIFE in my practice, including most tests I would send them for.

The expansion of medicaid in the Affordable Care Act should actually save money. Trust me, folks aren't just dying without insurance, they're just waiting to access care until they have no choice, and at the point at which I can't treat their disease as an outpatient. Then they are plugged into the high cost medical system.

As an aside Americans want their healthcare to be cheap, quick, and unlimited. Unfortunately it's like wishing for an inexpensive, fast, strongly built sailboat. You can really only have 2/3.
How far will you let the system test your Hippocratic oath? What about when the standards tell you, that the treatment is not allowed on a patient, even if they have the money?

I have major problems with that.

I know we needed something, but this isn't it.

James L
__________________

__________________
propellanttech is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
retirement

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.