Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

i am 67 and on medicare and no that does not work outside the usa -- but we find really good care out here - we have circum nav the carib over the past 2-3 years and while each of us has good health we do see docs for such things as skin problems, torn miniscus, hand surgery and found the quality of care excellent -
my concern with medicare is when we get back can i even get a doc to see me -- with the cut back in medicare payments to docs is it feasible that they may simply turn medicare folks away --

medical care needs a fix and i think obamacare is simply one step to full gov't take over of the entire medical system - single payer option

just our thoughts and opinions for what they are worth
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
This is exactly right, if you poll people "Obamacare"=Bad but then if you ask them about all of the individual components of it they universally agree with them.
That is because the bill is 2700+ pages, and you must have an intimate knowledge of the medical field to understand it.

Not written to confuse anyone though.....

Probably more loop holes than swiss cheese.

James L
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33   #48

Boat: Mason 43

Reality check: Medicare doesn't work outside the country, neither will Obamacare. Medicare Advantage is only valid in the state you live in, no travel, probably the same with Obamacare. At least now you can buy policies to cover the gaps, it doesn't look like you will be able to with Obamacare. Last time you needed a part fast did you use the government postal service or did you choose UPS or FedEx?
Nuff said.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34   #49

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
In the US it became fashionable on July 30, 1965 with the signing of Medicare by Lyndon Johnson. Everyone over 65 gets free health insurance (Part A) with no means test.

US Cruisers over age 65 have had this for almost 50 years and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

Carl
There is a huge distinction. Let's review how many millions of people were recently added to this "free" health insurance.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45   #50

Boat: Mason 43

How many people who were 65 in 1965 are still cruising? see it didn't work.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There is a huge distinction. Let's review how many millions of people were recently added to this "free" health insurance.
You still have to pay your insurance premiums or be penalized through taxation. I believe Obamacare is for those that cannot afford medical insurance.

There was an anti-Obama ad here in Virginia by a religious group saying Obama was cutting funds to religious schools but providing Obamacare. In other words, the religious group did not want those that could not afford to pay for their medical to get proper care!?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47   #52

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Yes, and who is going to pay for it? I suppose the doctors are just going to become very charitable in providing services?

The OP choose the title "Obamacare = early retirement anyone?"

Many who "retire early" do sowith an expectation that their financial plans will allow them the liberty to do so.... I suspect we will soon find that those plans will be unrealistic.

Even IF (doubtful) Obamacare freed up money, the tax implications as well as the detrimental effects on growth / devaluation of the currency that stem from increased debt are likely to decrease the opportunity to cruise... not increase it.

Time will tell.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:01   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Wow. Clearly some folks have some really opposite ideas about how Obamacare works and how it will impact their lives and the lives of their neighbours and friends and communities....With so much misinformation out there currently, I'm really looking forward to this conversation in 3 or 5 years, once folks have more experience with the new system.
This is why, during the original heated debates in congress, I actually downloaded the bill and reviewed it while listening to them. I was appalled to discover, although not entirely surprised, that these supposedly respectable leaders were lying through their teeth ... and they still are.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06   #54

Early retirement for us means 55-56 instead of 62-65. My wife has had breast and bladder cancer and although is cancer "free" now, there is incentive for us to go sooner rather than later. I have never made a six figure income and our boat will be something seaworthy and modest (Tayana 42CC?)
Maybe we are just lucky, but after working 30+ years, paying off the house and having some modest rental property income - we can now make some serious plans.
If that sounds like I expect someone else to foot the bill, you misunderstand.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06   #55

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Obamacare is based on The " Complete Lives System " from which our Congress conveniently exempted themselves.

Do a search for that and it'll curl your hair (if you have any left).
The bill was written by Rahm Emmanuel's brother.

Here's an example:

The Health Care Chart that Will Scare YOU to DEATH | The Cassandra Effect

Ayn Rand
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07   #56

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

The OP's quoted price of 9.5% @ < $50k income is the first actual Obamacare premium I have seen. Is it me or has anyone else noticed that premiums and coverage for Obamacare have been conspicously absent in the media? $395 per couple seems suspiciously low for full coverage unless the deductable or co-pays are high or prescrptions are not covered, etc. My Mom pays about that much for her medicare supplement and Medicare pays most of the bill, not her supplement. Maybe there are different levels of coverage. The penalties are a joke in my view. The 28 year old kid next door who still lives with his parents said he will pay the the $75 annual penalty for not having coverage and still go to emergency when he needs care and they can't turn him away. Recent article in USA Today reported that Darden, who owns Red Lobster and many other chain restaurants is considering moving 180,000 employees to part-time status to avoid the Obamacare insurance requirements. If that is true, then we are back where we started with a whole bunch of uninsured people. This is going to be a mess for a while.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08   #57
cruiser

The OP has apparently not yet read the fine print in the 2200 page Obama Care package. I'm not counting on receiving any "free" USA healthcare. Will set up our own catastrophic coverage policy with a private carrier, then take care of minor stuff with cash. Self reliance is best.

I really can't see ever checking into a medical facility anywhere very far outside the USA and presenting some Obamacare Medical Card and expect to be taken care of... heck, most medical doctors today are refusing USA government insured patients. Cash and private insurance is the way to go.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10   #58

Here is a link to some good information. Like the article says, it could help you retire early or destroy us.

How Obamacare Could Help You Retire Earlier (or Destroy Itself Trying) - DailyFinance
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15   #59

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
.Medicare Advantage is only valid in the state you live in, no travel, probably the same with Obamacare...
Why Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare? Ruth and I are both on Medicare and have AARP Supplemental and they have worked in Florida, Conn., Calif, AZ and where we live, Utah. We have been taken care of with no problems.

We have a number of Canadian friends (sailors and car guys/gals) and they all seem very happy with their system. Why are we so afraid to take a look at something that seems to work so well for so many?

Sum
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
Why Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare? Ruth and I are both on Medicare and have AARP Supplemental and they have worked in Florida, Conn., Calif, AZ and where we live, Utah. We have been taken care of with no problems.

We have a number of Canadian friends (sailors and car guys/gals) and they all seem very happy with their system. Why are we so afraid to take a look at something that seems to work so well for so many?

Sum

Evidently you haven't compared the cost of our health care with theirs.

James L
Closed Thread

Tags
retirement