Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 12:25   #391
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: Obamacare = early retirement anyone?

As a Canadian, I find this thread very interesting. So many perspectives that we just don't think of up here.
Old 15-11-2012, 12:36   #392

Boat: OEM, proportional

Dave (GBN): Our modern enlightened societies run on debt fueled consumption. The loss of quality is noticeable across the board, as is the short term shallowness. I wasn't speaking of "safety" razors, I had in mind the old Sweeny Todd type straight razor, made of crucible steel that would last a lifetime with some modest periodic sharpening and a strop before use. Most folks can't sharpen a kitchen knife, let alone a razor. Or a chisel, plane or saw. Electronics and planned obsolescence...that's a whole study on its own, though commercial PC wouldn't welcome it. Honesty is passé as well as all the other former values...

Stu: look under the covers of Obomney/Robama "Care", you'll find it isn't such a rosy thing. I could cut my legs off and claim the attenuation in height reduces the incidence of me slamming my head on the disgustingly steep German eave-rafters by 24%, and the saving in socks & boots save me .03% of annual income; but my cute derriere dragging on the frosty ground makes these benefits less attractive. After your so-called "care" package kicks in, there will be 30 million uninsured, more than before. Many doctors won't even let you in let alone listen to you because they won't be able to afford it, and if you're very young or very old you likely will be left out of treatment because you either haven't paid in yet or have worn out your welcome.

The thread title mentions "early retirement" connected to this "equitable healthcare" malarkey. Can anyone with basic logic and arithmetic figure out that someone has to pay, eventually....and if it wasn't you paying for your retirement, that the people forced to may find the arrangement a little odious? Once upon a time folks saved, and families provided for another. Gone is all that...dependence on the system is the enforced reality now. Time to get out of the soundbite short term mentality, and start looking all these so called gift-horses in the mouth. They have anthrax and are lame.
Old 15-11-2012, 12:42   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

Can anyone with basic logic and arithmetic figure out that someone has to pay, eventually...
Isn't that how the entire insurance industry and tax systems work?
Old 15-11-2012, 13:11   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wraun View Post
Isn't that how the entire insurance industry and tax systems work?
exactly we are already paying. we pay more and get less than every other western nation. the arithmetic can't get much more basic than that.
Old 15-11-2012, 13:50   #395
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Odd the number of claims I am reading without any citation...... BTW, Fox and CNN don't count as sources for citation as they all lie through their teeth.

FACTS (according to George):
  1. Nothing is free
  2. If something is too good to be true, it usually is NOT true
Old 15-11-2012, 14:10   #396

Boat: OEM, proportional

George sounds like a wise man.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:24   #397

What do you think happens when a poor person is sick now? I've been employed and in pretty good health, paying 9 or 10 thousand dollars per year in premiums to receive *nothing*

Wouldn't it be better to pay that money to directly help a sick person?

I really don't understand how the 'we can't afford it' or the 'something for nothing' crowd thinks it's a good idea to pay extra profit to a middleman for *nothing*
Old 15-11-2012, 14:27   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Odd the number of claims I am reading without any citation...... BTW, Fox and CNN don't count as sources for citation as they all lie through their teeth.

1. Nothing is free
It is an interesting fact, most people do not realize; Fox news is not a news program, it is an entertainment program. They are not a member of the Associated Press. They never have been and never will be. They do not need to speak the truth.

Although on the other side of the card, most news programs are biased based on their political affiliation, so they are only going to side with the party for which they are affiliated.

Trust nothing that you read or hear, and half of what you see. Smoke and mirrors are everywhere.

James L
Old 15-11-2012, 14:33   #399

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
exactly we are already paying. we pay more and get less than every other western nation. the arithmetic can't get much more basic than that.
And that is the crux of the whole healthcare issue in the States. The insurance lobby did a great job and convincing Americans to be scared of anything other then what fuels profits to them.

So, as a result, the most expensive healthcare system in the world, but people live less then in other advanced economies.

I just got a shock today of the realities of costs in the States. I am coming down for 6 months and figured I would just take my regular amount of meds with me.

Yikes! What a shock. For the identical drugs at Walmart Pharmacy, one is 5 times as expensive, and the other 3 times! I just about fell out of my chair.

Guess I will be stocking up here, because, frankly, that is ridiculous.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:51   #400

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

1. Nothing is free
Fact (according to Cotemar)
Free only comes once in life, when your born. For the rest of your life your going to pay for it.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:59   #401

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Free only comes once in life, when your born. For the rest of your life your going to pay for it.
My brother says the doctor smacked his ass a minute after he was born, and he has been taking licks ever since.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:01   #402

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar

You obviously haven't seen the bills from a maternity ward.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:17   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
What do you think happens when a poor person is sick now? I've been employed and in pretty good health, paying 9 or 10 thousand dollars per year in premiums to receive *nothing*

Wouldn't it be better to pay that money to directly help a sick person?

I really don't understand how the 'we can't afford it' or the 'something for nothing' crowd thinks it's a good idea to pay extra profit to a middleman for *nothing*
Yikes!!!

Well I'm not going to try to hijack this thread into an "American Healthcare Course for Canadians" because I don't know the details of the issues you are arguing about.
I pay about $1300/yr for me and my wife in premiums and that covers our visits to the doctor's office because that's typically all we ever use it for. Except about 20 years ago my wife had surgery on her back. If we'd not had government subsidized healthcare, I don't know how we could have afforded it.
Isn't that the bottom line for you too?
Old 15-11-2012, 15:25   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wraun View Post
Yikes!!!

Well I'm not going to try to hijack this thread into an "American Healthcare Course for Canadians" because I don't know the details of the issues you are arguing about.
I pay about $1300/yr for me and my wife in premiums and that covers our visits to the doctor's office because that's typically all we ever use it for. Except about 20 years ago my wife had surgery on her back. If we'd not had government subsidized healthcare, I don't know how we could have afforded it.
Isn't that the bottom line for you too?
You would think so. (also I mis-spoke I've paid 9 or 10 k in years with premiums and copays, my premiums alone are more like 5 grand all-in if you count employer contribution.) But still, you are paying 650 for full coverage. Something is definitely broken in the good ole US of A.
Old 15-11-2012, 16:38   #405
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
.........................That's about me done

Dave
Thankyou Dave, Regardless of the stand one takes it is always a low risk to claim, "I'm against that,- I disapprove,- don't blame me because I didn't vote for it." I admire those that are able to take the risk to express what they are in favor of and what they see as solutions, proposals or accomplishments. This approach is always available to both sides of a debate. I like to honor it when I see it.

Tags
retirement