Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2016, 03:35   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Oak Harbor Wa

Anybody know what the marina liveaboard situation is in Oak Harbor Wa. I'm going to call them, thought someone could give a heads up, even in Anacortes also, thanks

SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Oak Harbor Wa

Check with Skyline Marina in Anacortes.
Liveaboards were allowed last time I checked.

"I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned,
but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

-Thomas Sowell
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 03:49   #3

Hey, I figure you have already called the marina but this might also interest others. You find the rates here:
Oak Harbor - Whidbey Island's Premier Waterfront Community - Oak Harbor, WA 98277

at the bottom of the page it states that there is a $60 Live aboard fee.
akger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 09:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I don't know from direct knowledge but I believe there are some liveaboards at Oak Harbor. As noted above, Skyline does have some liveaboards but only on one of the marinas there. The "condominium" marinas there do not allow liveaboards and they have the majority of the slips in the little harbor.

Anacortes Marina allows liveaboards but they limit them and they usually have a waiting list, with priority going to sailors they have had good experiences with (e.g. have had their boats there and keep them in good condition, pay their bills, and are polite). No one has a right to liveaboard anywhere in the state TMK. There is a fee and they hold you to high standards as to behavior, courtesy, insurance, and following the rules. You have to have a monthly receipt for pumping out your holding tank. I believe most marinas are like that, some more than others. They'll kick you out in a heart-beat if you don't follow the rules, liveaboard or not.

Cap Sante is the only truly "public" marina and is owned operated by the Port of Anacortes. They used to forbid liveaboards and would ban the odd boat that tried to hide living on their boats. They may have changed that recently but I don't think so. Some liveaboards have acted like asses and ruined it for other folks - trashy, neglected boats, dumping sewage, not paying their bills on time, loud music, etc. Docks are not gated so anyone is allowed on all docks.

There are two more small marinas that allow liveaboards: Anchor Cove and Lovrics. Almost impossible to get a slip of any kind at Lovrics and it is pretty much in a sad condition. Anchor Cove is central to town but the daily tidal flows up and down the channel there make it a challenging entrance. Only a few slips available for sailboats - mostly covered for powerboats. The previous dockmaster there did not have the best customer-focused demeanor but I hear the new one is a good egg.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: