Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 05:11   #1

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop
Now living in Brisbane

We are newish to living aboard. We have moored in Brisbane near the CBD botanic gardens. I asked the council and they said they like liveaboards as it keeps the city waters bustling with life. This is what they wanted to keep going. Take the boats away and its just water.
Music to my ears.
We are still setting up and making a few changes here and there. Even have christmas tree lights for the stays.
So far so good.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 13:46   #2

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: Now living in Brisbane

Hi guys
You have a lovely position to start living aboard - so convenient to everything you may need. The folk on the moorings are very friendly we have found when we have visited in the past. We are in Pittwater in Sydney as I am recovering from surgery and then we hope to head south to Tassie for the summer. We will be back up your way next May/June as we spend the winter months on the Barrier Reef. The forum is a grey place to get answers to the many questions you will have - don't be afraid to ask but search first as lots of topics will have already been covered in great detail. A warm welcome to a great life style.

Cheers Sue

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 11:02   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

Tac, it's interesting to read your post about the pile moorings in Brisbane and the councils favourable position on liveaboards. I'm keen to hear how you go day to day with the ferries wake wash and how disturbing it is.
I'm currently in Tassie but need to return to Brisbane in the new yr for cancer treatment and it would be far more convenient being in the city for hospital visits every day for 7 weeks rather than in and out on the train from Manly.

Hope recovery is going well Sue and look forward to catching up with you both when you get down here.

Alan's

Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 12:07   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Amnesia II,

Given the medical situation and that you are singlehanding now, I would imagine you could set it up in Brissie with the pile moorings. Given that the procedures you're anticipating can knock someone about quite a bit, I don't think asking is out of order.

Normally, they are first come, first served, of course, but if they knew they needed to hold one briefly for your arrival, it might possibly be arranged beforehand. Also, up the river, Dockside allows liveaboards, we know someone who is living aboard there now, so there may be more options than the train from Manly.

Ann
Old 21-11-2014, 21:25   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Thank you Anne, docklands sounds ideal for my needs,will make contact.

Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 20:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau 43

Spoke to the council today - they will NOT hold a spot for you, whatever the extenuating circumstances are. I complained about the number of piles that have had ropes strung up for over 3 months that I have been watching, and they advised that goes against the intent of the marina and that it would be quite within my rights to remove the ropes and use the spot. Currently, B2 is strung up by a guy who doesn't even own a boat apparently - he's currently in Mooloolaba purchasing one. What a selfish d!@k - there is always one who only thinks of themselves and stuffs the others in the process.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 02:09   #7

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I am coming up to Brisbane next month are there many pilons available? What is the go with ropes hanging of them? How do you usually tie up to them? Does it get busy on New Year's Eve? Cheers

Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 14:51   #8

Currently (as of Tuesday morning) there are NO pylons available. There are 4 or 5 with ropes strung up, and of those at least 2 have had those ropes strung up for at least 3 months. Buggers. You are perfectly within your rights (according to council, just yesterday) to move onto one of those pylons and if the "rope-er" returns, ask them for proof that they have paid (however, if you ring council for verification, they won't give it to you)
Hope that helps. And thats what I plan to do in a couple of weeks time when we come up for Christmas.
Old 27-11-2014, 05:36   #9

I can see a few pylons free. There is a notice advising, and i was told, when i go sailing, to leave a line between the poles. I pat a weekly rate and the rope means someone is paying for that space. Anyone who takes a space when someone is paying for it..so i am told..may find a slipped mooring. The best way is to ask the council if a spot is taken. The rope the tide.between the pylon makes it easy to come in and out regardless of the tide. Is a great idea.
As for the ferry wake, not much of a big deal. Much less than normal tides. I am in the middle pylons so i dont get much. I cant say i really notice it that much...when i do, its only for 10 seconds.
The person comming up for medical treatment, give me a shout when you come up. There are a few doctors on these pylons. Not that you would tell. Daggy Tshirts and bombay bloomer shorts were my clothes for the day. The ferry accross the water is free with pay for service ones running as well.
Toilet, shower and laundry are there. I am on B12( not the vitamin)
My high point for the day was stopping the overflow possibility from the head. I also see the masserator blade and my magic bullet blender share the same blade. Made me think twice when mixing lol
Everyone seems nice. Some keep to themselves of course.
I think the only issue i have at times is the conjested tender mooring and that you cant leave your tender out after dark as the losers steal the tenders. This gate is not locked.

Old 27-11-2014, 05:42   #10

The car park has taken over the moorings. Its on 100 Adelaide street. They took over about a week ago after the G20.
I noticed today, a french yacht left and another is sitting on the hook.
As an access control token is required and a form is to be filled out, the council can tell if anyone is there.
If you need help, i can do some leg work.

Old 27-11-2014, 05:54   #11

@Akaperterc your question on the ropes. I copied what everyone else does. Two rope fore and aft. A third rope for and aft which you join when you go sailing. The idea is, you motor in, grab the rope with your boat hook and "rest" there stable whilst you tie up the mooring ropes. The reverse for when you cast off to go sailing.

Old 27-11-2014, 12:36   #12

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hope you all survived that storm up there last night

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:19   #13

How did you all fare with Thursday's storm? I believe there was a bit of carnage opposite, with some of the boats on permanent moorings dragging?
Old 27-11-2014, 23:37   #14

I was in Surfers paradise with work. I am going up in the morning. I had a friend have a look at my boat. One solar panel looks like a brick hit it. The mesh around the safety rails looks like someone used a shot gut on it. A few holes from hail in the rear Bimini. I was told the good thing about steel is that hail didn't put chips like the fiberglass deck boats got. The tender is full of water. The boats on the other side were swept onto the wharf. It's a community on the pylons so people helped those like we who were not there. I wish I was there to be honest. At least the main and roller curlers stayed put and didn't flog.
Old 29-11-2014, 13:31   #15

If anyone wants a space in a week. A french couple are leaving. They have paid for 3 months but leaving early. . I said I would ask around. Mind you, if it were me, I would drop the rope and just leave. PM me with a phone number I can pass on. Not sure if they have email. Or go to marina birth B9.
It was just a random conversation with owner. All I can do is pass message on.

Tags
brisbane