Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 07:52   #1

Norcold TekII (SeaRay Sundancer 29.2 1992)

Hi peeps,

I have just brought a SeaRay Sundancer 29.2 1992 and am identifying how the internal electrics work.

All OK so far except I am not sure how the Norcold TekII (Built-In) Fridge (With small freezer compartment) works.

There is an on/off switch inside above a dial which has 1 to 5) ... Now I switch the switch on and the fridge starts to work... and I move the dial up to the desired cold level ... All fine.

It is a dual 12v/24v fridge...

My questions:

1) Is it running of the 12v or 24v when initially turned on (plugs and other electrical devices are behind the unit (built in), so not that easy to get to (I am connected to the mains so am guessing it is running off the 12v which is constantly being recharged by the mains??? (I may be wrong, please advise).

I am sure I switched all the switches off on the mains panel and found that the fridge still worked which is why I am guessing it runs through the 12v (Can check again later)

2) If plugged into the mains is the 12v batteries recharged automatically???

2) The boat, and so the fridge has not been used for around 2 years... Is there anything that needs checking before I switch the fridge on and leaving it on???

A very new newbie to boating s please be kind.

Indy
IndianaJonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:09   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Norcold TekII (SeaRay Sundancer 29.2 1992)

As near as I can tell your fridge is DC only and when powered by AC is through the use of a wall watt adapter.

If you have a battery charger on board, it will charge the battery and replenish power consumed by the fridge. But be sure that the batt charger is on (breaker on the panel, or confirm that there are lights on). Or even watch the dc voltage to be sure it rises when the boat is on shore power.

Regarding the two years time. Just turn it on (unless it’s got a rats nest built up behind it).

Here’s a link to the manual

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...ers-Manual.pdf
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:32   #3

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the mains panel again (Badly labelled) and switched the 'Outlets' switch off and then back on (The outlet switch is the one that looks to run the lights and wall sockets).
The Fridge still ran when the outlet switch was off or on BUT you could here it switching power supply, and the volts panel pin would move slightly.

So with the outlet switch on it looks to be running off 24v, and when off 12v.

I'm still looking for, and trying to understanding the many electrical bits & bobs, it is a minefield when you have no idea what you're doing lol.

Many thanks,
Indy
Old 22-04-2018, 09:11   #4

Where are you getting the idea that your mains is 24v?

Depending on where in the world you are it’s either 120 or 220 volts AC. Or thereabouts.
Old 22-04-2018, 10:20   #5

See what I mean, I no nothing about electrics...
Old 22-04-2018, 10:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJonez View Post
See what I mean, I no nothing about electrics...

No worries. Be sure the battery charger is on and you can leave the fridge on so long as the boat is plugged in.

If away from a dock you’ll need to run the engine 1-3 times a day depending on battery size and other loads to recharge the battery. Run time will also depend on alternator size and battery size, as well as total power consumed.