Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 19:58   #1

Boat: 1990 Tahitian, 60ft
pirate No Sailing Experience / Buying a Boat = Stupid?

Hello, I am brand new to this forum my friend suggested it to me who owns a Motor Yacht in Sydney, Australia.

Let me introduce myself, I'm Amy. And I've sold everything to move back to New Zealand (from Australia) to be with my partner and look into purchasing a Sailboat to Live on! This sounds like the perfect life to me, not the easiest but perfect in its own right.

Not everyone is supportive of this decision as both my partner (Dean) and I have absolutely NO sailing experience, and then on the other hand some people are super excited for us. We have found a boat, and drawing up contracts now to change her into our name. She is a 60ft Tahitian built in 1990 Sailboat, and you have no idea how excited we are about it all.

I've joined this forum to learn as much as I can and connect with people who enjoy the same lifestyle so am pretty glad to have found this forum.

Amy
Old 09-07-2015, 20:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: No Sailing Experience / Buying a Boat = Stupid?

Two things
First welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase
Second no not a dumb move we all had to start someplace
Look into taking a sailing course and most important sail the hell out of her and have fun doing that
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 00:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There aren't many large sailboats built in Tahiti. I'm wondering if the "Tahitian built" is refering to a Tahiti Ketch design which may have be built anywhere.

Regardless, the question as to wether this is a good choice or not is all about money and risk of a financial loss. If someone were not awash with funds it would be best not to buy before knowing that you would be successful and content with sailing and living aboard.

In addition, there's much upkeep and expense in maintaining a 60 foot boat. Many are comfortable living on board a far smaller boat in the 35' to 40' range.

......but, it comes back to money. If you can risk the expense, then enjoy the adventure without the long study first.
Old 10-07-2015, 00:54   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

First off, welcome aboard!

Please post a picture of the boat, so we can see what you have. When/if you have questions, the picture will help.

Thanks,

Ann
Old 10-07-2015, 02:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by brierlya View Post
................... She is a 60ft Tahitian built in 1990 Sailboat ....
Amy, I reread your post and noticed my mistake. I see that the boat is a "Tahitian" that was built in 1990 and not a "Tahitian built" boat. I'd still say that the risk of proceeding without experience is only about risking the money put into the endeavor if it doesn't turn out well.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:27   #6

Unless you are just looking to leave it tied up to a dock full time, I would seriously look for a smaller boat. That's a lot of boat for 2 people to handle. It can be done but takes a fair bit of skill (and mechanical aids)

More info might change my opinion, but I'm making the assumption you are a younger couple who is not rich and found what looks like a bargain. You may have found the diamond in the rough but far more likely you are looking at buying a total cluster.

Please tell us you have had it professionally surveyed including engines, rigging and sails? Yes, it will cost a few thousand but please add this to the contract that it must pass survey if you decide to proceed.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:57   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

If I am not mistaken that's a Hartley? That's an awful lot of boat.

You will find two schools of thought on the size, I am firmly in the school that says that is too much boat for someone with no experience. I won't bore you with the arguments instead I will ask "why?" Why on earth would you buy such a big boat for just two people? Read around on this forum and you'll soon see you need nowhere near that size, regardless of your ability to handle the boat.

Second, I think that it will be a ferro cement construction? Again, there will be two schools of thought on this. I am firmly on the side of don't do it. Not because I hate ferros or anything like that, I know a couple of superb ferro boats, but because I firmly believe that ferro boats are not for those with no experience. The complexity of maintaining them, of determining their condition, is beyond me.

Please, if you came here for advice, then I would say stop. Take a deep breath, and start from the beginning. Find out what sort of boat you can manage first, then find out what sort of boat you can afford, then choose based on that wisdom. Don't become the defeated owner of a monstrous floating bucket of trouble, be the proud owners of a manageable, well maintained smaller gem instead.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10   #8

@ Amy

Lemme add my voice to those who counsel caution!

But lemme also say that I have, as a professional sailing instructor many years ago, taught some hundreds of totally green landlubbers to sail in a boat of this size. But CAUTION is the watchword!

Boat-handling we'd get outta the way in two week-ends if you were students in my boat. Seamanship, however - that's a whole different kettle of fish! And maintenance! The stuff you have to know, and the skills you have to acquire, so you'll not constantly be at the mercy of "professionals" — it's simply unbelievable!

Remember that a 60-footer is an AWFULLY big hammer, and remember that in big heavy boats (I'm guessing 30 tons displacement) things that go wrong for the most part evolve slowly, almost unnoticed at first, but once they start to go, they are inexorable, and it takes knowledge and a SERIOUS dose of bloody-mindedness to stop them.

You CAN teach yourself ab initio in a 30 tonner, but it's not the smartest way to go. If you haven't signed the purchase agreement yet - DON'T. There are far better ways to fly :-)!

But don't give up the dream. Just slow down a bit. This board is full of experienced, knowledgeable people that'll be happy to help you make a SUCCESS of your transition to a wonderful sea-going life!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I did the same thing two years ago. Needed somewhere to live. Other than windsurfing, had zero experience. So I bought a 40 foot cruiser sailboat. How hard can it be, right? The BEST thing I did was hire a very knowledgeable captain who sailed with me on my boat and showed me how to handle her. Most important lessons: rules of the road, esp important in busy SF Bay; how to maneuver under power-- back and fill, prop walk, turning arc Cost a couple hundred bucks, worth every penny. Since then, it's been self study through online video (you tube is great source) and books on sail trim, seamanship and, of course, maintenance Trial and error, it's a proven way to learn. Note that the riskiest part was the first few months when I thought I knew what I was doing. The more I sail and study, the more complex and interesting sailing becomes, and the more cautious and respectful of the elements I've become. Safety cannot be overemphasized.

As to living aboard, it has taken some adjustment, and I'm fortunate to have a place to store my sports gear, extra cloths, tools, etc., so the boat stays neat. So if your galley is functional, saloon comfy, and beds big enough, you're set.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:32   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361

Amy,

The answer to your question is no. It's a great idea!

However, you've chosen the wrong boat! Run, run, run from this boat! It's just too big, too complicated, and you will spend your LIFE learning how to maintain it. You want a boat in the 35-45 range, fiberglass, solid, but not fancy. If you plan on just coastal cruising, there's a zillion choices out there. If you plan on blue water cruising - the appropriate choices narrow, but only slightly.

Please, please, please don't buy this boat. I've got nothing against the boat design, manufacturer, or anything else (well, I admit to not being a fan of ferro-cement hulls). It's just NOT the right first-time boat for you.

Everyone wants to see you succeed in finding your dreams. This boat will kill your dreams and suck the life out of you.

IMHO
reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:34   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The annual maintenance cost on an old(er) 60 foot boat can easily exceed the purchase price. Frankly, you are not unique as a novice buying a first boat but asking for advice after doing so, as you imply, puts you in a dubious group of people who make huge mistakes as a learning experience. Good luck!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40   #12

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Amy - I have to agree that 60' is a lot of boat, even for the most experienced crew. And a ton of maintenance. But my wife and I were newbies and we got a 42' boat. Ours was a somewhat special case though as I got a job in a boatyard specifically to learn how to maintain and upgrade boats. That saved my bacon! I can do my own work for the most part otherwise we could never afford it. If money is not an issue then you can muddle through a lot of it. You will have to be able to fix things on the water as need be. That depends on your mechanical aptitude, spares, and tools on hand. If you are lucky you will get her back to port to hire help to fix whatever.

However, we took things VERY slow from the start in learning how to handle our boat - docking, motoring, sailing. Lots of mistakes but we never sunk our boat, or other boats.

A 60' boat will suck on your bank account really hard though. You'll find out.

But good luck to you. Just take it slow. Take classes if possible. Read a ton on all aspects. Get good insurance (to start at least) including towing. Don't defer maintenance - it will add up on you and destroy your investment and your enjoyment. Sell down if it is too much and suck it up. Even a 40' boat is too much for some people but attitude and energy count for a lot and you might make it.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:03   #13

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Welcome aboard Amy and Dean.

My 2 cents. Reread and understand all the excellent advice you're getting. Everyone is on your side and their experience is obvious. Don't get caught up with Big boat fever. I'm a retired capt and I assure you that that boat is a pretty crazy initial purchase. Good luck, we're here for ya.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09   #14

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45
Thumbs up Re: No Sailing Experience / Buying a Boat = Stupid?

Amy.
Congratulations on the jump!

STOP!

Do a lot more research before you buy. Listen to all the stuff listed so far by some great minds.

PROCEED. Knowing a boat in the water is a LOT of money.

Capt Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56   #15

Boat: ODAY 28

as said before, we started at one time,, good luck
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, enc, sail, sailing