Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55   #1

Newby Questions

Hello, My wife and I will be retiring next June. Our plan is to sell the house, buy a trawler and basically vagabond the east coast, gulf coast ICW and Caribbean with no definite plan. I'm wide open to which boat, however, I've been looking at the PDQ 34 cat, and various full keel mono hulls in the 34-44' range. We'll have a steady monthly income/medical so, working really isn't in the cards as a must. I guess what I'm looking for are some experiences on traveling in those areas. Is it possible/practical to live on the hook for extended time, what are some of the issues that surprised you, Crime/safety, costs, etc.

Thank you,

M
migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:18   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Newby Questions

Hi! A few tips to consider...Sailing the FL Keys and the Bahamas...Make sure you keel is 5 ft or less; you'll be glad you did. Aim for a boat that is less than 10 years old; preferably 5. For a live-aboard...32-40 ft is what you should be looking at. If you intend on doing snorkeling/SCUBA diving, look for a boat that has a stern's platform that can be lowered; very easy access for provisioning and diving. (Beneteau - Oceanis boats offer this feature.) Plan on having 2 anchors, with 150 ft rode for each. Let us know about your progress! Good luck!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...
Old 01-10-2013, 14:33   #3

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Hi,
Just to give you something to look at and compare space available for a mobile retirement home, especially where draft/height is of importance.
Plenty of good value L380s out there as the type is numerous in the charter trade with owner's versions [non chartered] as well. 'Great Loop' friendly boats, 56' clearance.
I'm not involved in the market in any way just an observer, true my family prefers multihulls but a little bigger than this model. LOL
This is great vid [boat is long sold] showing what to expect from a small/medium cat.

Discussions on L380 incl Seth from above link:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...iew-36114.html
Specifications
Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans
Cheers,
Mac
Old 01-10-2013, 15:19   #4

Great video! Thank you for posting. I'm definitely looking at Trawlers as compared to sailboats though. "mobile retirement home" I like!
migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 15:42   #5

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by migolito View Post
Great video! Thank you for posting. I'm definitely looking at Trawlers as compared to sailboats though. "mobile retirement home" I like!
Thanks, glad you liked it. 'Seth' did a good job on it.
There's some great deals on trawlers over there ATM it seems.
We've been watching the market with interest.
My wife and I have decided that if we ever get to do the Great Loop we'll either buy a trawler then resell when finished or a suitable medium cat then when finished import it into Australia for resale or limited use.
Depends on medical reports, markets etc. at that time.
Due to injuries she may not be able to go to sea again, so we've been looking at the smaller cats/trawlers to at least explore the calmer parts of the US waterways, hence my interest in those markets.
I mentioned the L380 vs a trawler because you mentioned the Carib. and a sailing cat has many advantages, but then I admit my bias.
Hope you find what you're looking for and good luck to you.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 01-10-2013, 18:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Some of the biggest issues people have in making the move from land life to living aboard are simply space and stuff issues. Once you get your mind around not needing all the stuff, living aboard is easy really and mostly just mental. You will be treated as a weirdo or crazy...but hey...it is true.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! I know several full-time cruisers on "smallish" power cats like the PDQ and Endeavour -- they all seem very happy with their choice. Lots of space for its size, plus shallow draft. A big consideration for anchoring for long periods is power management...a quiet genset works for most, or if you have a propane fridge, a small amount of solar or wind might due most of the time. Good luck in your search...happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote