Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 19:35   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Soften your attitude mate.....
__________________

__________________
ffiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:23   #32
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well… I do know one or two who have made it round the world by sharing their boat with strangers (mostly young boathitchers) for cash and help with the boat. It can work… but these examples are with single people. I am also friends with the crew of a catamaran (Blue Marble) which was co owned by many young Norwegians who indeed are wonderful people and great friends, whose friendship even survived their shipwreck!

So it can be done…

Their plan was not open ended however. It was: buy a boat, sail across the Pacific, have a fantastic time, sell the boat… The last bit didn't work out but the insurance ended up being almost as good I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOC...ulGgkv9JCOUWfw
These words and others above written by myself should IN NO WAY be interpreted as any sort of encouragement to run an illegal charter business anywhere in the world, however. The above examples are to be filed in the enhanced "shared contributions" category.

Just to be clear.
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:28   #33
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiss View Post
Soften your attitude mate.....
Welcome to Cruiser's Forum. And you should realise that if you wish to reply to a particular comment it is useful to hit the "Quote" button or else refer to them by name/handle.

Oh, and it is also rather important to be polite!
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:41   #34
Registered User
 
american's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Shanghai, China
Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Posts: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiss View Post
Soften your attitude mate.....
It's only 10AM here. I don't start drinking my attitude softeners until after 5PM
__________________
-american
http://sv-synchronicity.com/
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:42   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post

Again, I am giving you advice from a good, well-intentioned place. For the past 9 years I've run my own business in Shanghai, China and learned a lot about Expat/business regulations around the region. Because I'd love to move my company to Thailand I've actually invested weeks of research into the topic - even traveling from Bangkok to Phuket, meeting with local business owners and Expats in my same industry there. What they told me about corruption (police and government), the cost of work visas (insane - think bribes), requirements on staffing ratios (can't hire an expat for a job that could be done by a local), and other serious issues... I've decided to stay in China, at least until I am ready to take a sabbatical or retire.
Bingo! And, I tried to point the OP in a different direction. You can live on a yacht ANYWHERE, and conduct your business from ANYWHERE, just as long as it is a 100% Internet business conducted via local WiFi connections or ($$$$$$$) a full-time 24/7/365 satellite connection from your vessel (I need the latter). Wherever I will sail, I will merely appear to be a tourist enjoying the sun, wind, and waves. Little will anyone know that I am actually working from the boat while my clients overseas pay all invoices electronically.

It works like this: You wake up (whatever time you wish), and then start a nice pot of Columbia Supremo coffee. After a yawn and a stretch, you pour yourself a cup of java and go to the cockpit to have a look around, catch some morning sun, and check your e-mail. You then calculate the time needed to send the clients the finished jobs, send the replies, and close your laptop. You then take another sip of coffee and dive into the water for a nice warm swim. After that, you go below decks and make some nice breakfast -- maybe take the tender to shore for a cafe brunch. You then decide you're getting sleepy, so you take a siesta nap. Finally, you spend a few hours before dinner (or the next day, or the day after that... your choice) and do the work. You zip off the files (including the invoice file), close laptop again, and then decide if you want to BBQ some nice New-York sirloins on deck or go to town again to eat some of the local cuisine.

It's that simple. Running a tour/charter biz with locals breathing down my back and idiot strangers bashing around my yacht? A BIG "No thanks!"
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:46   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
It's only 10AM here. I don't start drinking my attitude softeners until after 5PM
That's interesting. Personally, I never let clocks dictate when I say hello to Scotch on the rocks. In fact, it's often more of a head-zinger around 10:00 AM, with a nice Cuban cigar.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:49   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Gosh that is brave… not the sailing the world bit so much as the "pooling money with friends" bit, particularly considering the "total beginners" aspect. I take it that the 5 year one is the driving force in this venture? I hope you are VERY good friends! I look to weather and see a series of line squalls...
haha! Thant one have me a chuckle!

If worse comes to worse, adventurers can call home, get a wire transfer, catch a flight, and then enroll in night school.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 21:13   #38
Registered User
 
american's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Shanghai, China
Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Posts: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's interesting. Personally, I never let clocks dictate when I say hello to Scotch on the rocks. In fact, it's often more of a head-zinger around 10:00 AM, with a nice Cuban cigar.
You're on your boat. I'm in my office. My employees might react funny if I was getting too "soft" at 10AM

Then again, with what the local stock market is doing these days... I'm certain there's more than a few of them that would join me in an instant!!!
__________________
-american
http://sv-synchronicity.com/
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:16   #39
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Bingo! And, I tried to point the OP in a different direction. You can live on a yacht ANYWHERE, and conduct your business from ANYWHERE, just as long as it is a 100% Internet business conducted via local WiFi connections or ($$$$$$$) a full-time 24/7/365 satellite connection from your vessel (I need the latter). Wherever I will sail, I will merely appear to be a tourist enjoying the sun, wind, and waves. Little will anyone know that I am actually working from the boat while my clients overseas pay all invoices electronically.

It works like this: You wake up (whatever time you wish), and then start a nice pot of Columbia Supremo coffee. After a yawn and a stretch, you pour yourself a cup of java and go to the cockpit to have a look around, catch some morning sun, and check your e-mail. You then calculate the time needed to send the clients the finished jobs, send the replies, and close your laptop. You then take another sip of coffee and dive into the water for a nice warm swim. After that, you go below decks and make some nice breakfast -- maybe take the tender to shore for a cafe brunch. You then decide you're getting sleepy, so you take a siesta nap. Finally, you spend a few hours before dinner (or the next day, or the day after that... your choice) and do the work. You zip off the files (including the invoice file), close laptop again, and then decide if you want to BBQ some nice New-York sirloins on deck or go to town again to eat some of the local cuisine.

It's that simple.
Well, if it's that simple, why don't you own a boat, and are out there doing it yourself?

;-)
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:45   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, if it's that simple, why don't you own a boat, and are out there doing it yourself?

;-)
Hmmm, do I sense a bit of jealousy? I didn't say that it would be simple for everyone, and as I don't know you, only you can tell us if it would be simple for you... my dear friend.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:03   #41
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Seems like a bit of negativity here. Sure Thailand is difficult, operators also need to employ Thai crew or captains, but in most places it's not so hard, eg. A charter licence in the Grenadines is around $150/month and no hassles from the local operators. If you take a look at a couple of the popular cruising blogs you will see a lot of cruisers/bloggers sharing their sailing experiences with their readers and taking on crew and guests to offset their cruising lifestyle. Quite legal and doable and I nice option for the guests to experience real cruising without the high cost or experience required of bareboat or skippered charters, and for the cruisers to replenish the cruising kitty.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:36   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

And like Pappy always said, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:12   #43
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Hmmm, do I sense a bit of jealousy? I didn't say that it would be simple for everyone, and as I don't know you, only you can tell us if it would be simple for you... my dear friend.
Nah, just pointing out that the OP might want to take advice regarding the open-ended liveaboard/cruising lifestyle from one who has yet to live it himself with a grain or two of salt, is all... ;-)

Jealous? Not really, I've owned a boat for quite some time, and have managed to get a fair bit of sailing and cruising in over the years... Hell, I even managed to make it to a number of places before it apparently became mandatory to bring guns along with you ;-)

Now, would I love to have the financial means to buy that Little Harbor 58 you claim to be eyeing? Hell, you betcha I would... However, I would never put it towards something like that, as magnificent as she may be... To each his own, of course...

I'd prefer to own my boat, than to have it own me. And, I don't buy into the seller's sales pitch, that a boat like CARMELLA is "easily singlehanded", either. I know my own limitations, plus having a bit of experience with buttons on such boats not always working when they're pushed...

Hopefully, such a boat might make you happy some day... But, sorry to disappoint, I won't be envous... My little tub has gotten me where I've wanted to go, so far, and I still somehow manage to sleep soundly without a gun under my pillow...

;-)


__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:38   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Posts: 71
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Hopefully, such a boat might make you happy some day... But, sorry to disappoint, I won't be envous... My little tub has gotten me where I've wanted to go, so far, and I still somehow manage to sleep soundly without a gun under my pillow...

;-)


[/QUOTE]

But do you have all chain and are you hanging on a Fortress anchor??

...

Always lots of wisdom from your department Jon.

I'm reminded of when I used to have a slip in Shilshole next to the Schumacher 70 that's out there on the end tie.

The boat 'servant' was out there doing some maintenance and I was talking to him about the boat and how awesome it was. I mentioned that it seemed it would be hard to handle with just a couple people if anything with the fancy hydraulic sail handling gear were to fail and he stressed quite strongly that the boat doesn't go anywhere without crew.

That really took the shine off the boat for me. What good is a boat if you have to bring servants to help you sail it. I suppose they could be your friends but that's unlikely. Your friends have jobs and families to care for.

Then he mentioned how they'd like to take it to Mexico for a season and I expressed interest in helping crew the boat down and back. But then he said it would probably cost too much to prepare the boat to sail there compared with putting it on a Dockwise ship.

Talk about throwing monkey poo on my dreams of grandeur. What good is a boat so expensive that it's cheaper to not sail it? Why even have such a boat if the big passages are going to be done on the deck of a ship?

I don't think wealthy people realize how out of touch their money makes them. They wouldn't even question what was wrong about needing crew to go sailing. Everywhere they go things are done for them. Other than wiping their own ass (which presumably rich people still do?) everything is done for them and laid out before them for the taking.

I'm sorry but that sounds like an empty meaningless life to me. I can't imagine even wanting that. Such a life sounds like a prison with gold plated walls to me.

I can only imagine that people who enjoy such a life are unimaginative, uninteresting, and unworthy of respect. Everything about them including sailing is just a put on.
__________________
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 16:56   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Nah, just pointing out that the OP might want to take advice regarding the open-ended liveaboard/cruising lifestyle from one who has yet to live it himself with a grain or two of salt, is all... ;-)
Understood!

Quote:
Jealous? Not really, I've owned a boat for quite some time, and have managed to get a fair bit of sailing and cruising in over the years... Hell, I even managed to make it to a number of places before it apparently became mandatory to bring guns along with you ;-)
Reportedly, there are folks who hunt grizzly bears with a bow and arrow. Not me!

Quote:
Now, would I love to have the financial means to buy that Little Harbor 58 you claim to be eyeing? Hell, you betcha I would... However, I would never put it towards something like that, as magnificent as she may be... To each his own, of course...
Yeah, me too! That's why we're still about 2-years out. That aside, it's a wonderful boat. Too bad he's asking a king's ransom. Would I spend a cool million for Carmella? Nope!
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Force 10 Oven Burns Everything Iridium Provisioning: Food & Drink 35 02-03-2011 06:15
For Sale: Everything Sailing Offline Renasci Classifieds Archive 0 01-07-2010 17:39
Everything you need to know ... GordMay Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 03-02-2007 21:14
Trying to think of everything before I go Ram General Sailing Forum 8 02-05-2006 15:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.