Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 00:31   #1

Newbie Needs Boat Recommendations

Want to coastal cruise the USA West Coast, Mexico, Gulf, Caribbean, USA East Coast.

Can spend up to 100k for a boat, prefer decent gas mileage, and somewhat luxurious finish, plan to live aboard, spend time out for a while, spend time at a marina too.

Thinking my biggest expenses will be fuel, slip+electricity, some food (hope to eat fish, crab, lobster?).

Recommendations for a boat are wanted, as well as a reasonable cost of expenses, did I miss some?

Trying to be realistic as to what boat and what monthly budget I should have to be comfortable.

Thanks!
RockinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Newbie Needs Boat Recommendations

From your description of needs it seems that you're looking for a long range cruising power boat,- right? 'no mention of sailing.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:43   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRandy View Post
Want to coastal cruise the USA West Coast, Mexico, Gulf, Caribbean, USA East Coast.

Can spend up to 100k for a boat, prefer decent gas mileage, and somewhat luxurious finish, plan to live aboard, spend time out for a while, spend time at a marina too.

Thinking my biggest expenses will be fuel, slip+electricity, some food (hope to eat fish, crab, lobster?).

In boats, that's usually sort of an oxymoron.

You mean a power boat, right?

Usually you'll get better long-term economy (fuel mileage) from diesels. At greater up-front cost (no free lunch).

Still, fuel can often not be your biggest expense. Marina fees, insurance, maintenance (and maintenance, and maintenance.).. upgrades... and did I mention maintenance?

Assumption: a $100K powerboat with diesels (or even with gas) will not be a turn-key boat. Search yachtworld.com for $70K boats that seem like they might offer you the features/amenities you might like. Then come back with your first impressions of those that look attractive... and your reasoning about why they seem like a potential good fit. That makes it easier for the group to comment, rather than just throwing a dart at an unknown target.

Hint: "trawlers" (a marketing term) are often thought to offer good space and economical (hence, usually slow) cruising. Trawlerform.com (a sister site) may be useful for you.

-Chris
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49   #4

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Quote:

Recommendations for a boat are wanted, as well as a reasonable cost of expenses, did I miss some?

Trying to be realistic as to what boat and what monthly budget I should have to be comfortable.

Thanks!
As ranger said, go to yachtworld.com and do a search to get a basic idea of what boats cost and start there for boat ideas.

There is also a current thread going that talks about expenses for a couple that has been cruising the carib and med for the last seven years - check it out here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html

Of course, your expenses could be much more or much less. Getting a power boat? Plan on spending a lot on fuel. Want decent gas mileage? Learn to sail. Where are you going to spend the night? Marinas are expensive. Anchoring is free. But depending on where you are, anchoring may not be an option, and so on...
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:44   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

A power cat is likely to have very good power / mile ratio. Other things that help are well sized engines, well matched props, gori overdrive, clean bottom and .. going 'slower'.

Going slow extends your mileage. Sure getting there takes more time.

More cost will be insurance / maintenance and overhauls.

Food / life will cost you as much as it does now. We tend to drag our landlife styles aboard.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

And I think cruising both coast unless you ship the boat is tough, but if that is your desire, best I think to start on the East side
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:40   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Thanks!

Decent gas mileage is relative. Offshore powerboats will get in the vicinity of 3nm/gal at 6kt, slowing to 5kt might almost hit 4.5nm/gal. I have acquaintances that took a trawler type RTW spending $59k in fuel, let's say about $2.25/nm. With inflation let's say $2.50 or so per nm.

A 40' sailboat motoring is going to be getting 6-9nm/gal depending on speed. Sailing it will get 20,000-30,000nm/gal (fuel evaporates).

Compared to cars boat gas mileage is extremely speed dependent.

You want to take a powerboat long distance, it's going to cost ya.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, but standing and running rigging, chain plates and sails will cost a bunch too.
I'm not so sure that for the average boater that a Trawler isn't cheaper in the long run, if I only wanted to do the ICW, maybe Great Loop and the Bahamas, I might well have been in a Trawler, especially for the Loop
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

For the loop, yeah powerboat.

In the ICW I understand that sailboats motor about 75% of the distance. But they are still getting about twice the gas mileage.

Everywhere else the OP mentioned sailboats will have a really stark advantage in fuel costs.

And then there's the boat safety question. Id rather be in a 30' sailboat in a named storm than a 40' or even 45' powerboat.

As far as boat maintenance goes yes a sailboat needs sails and rigging maintenance. A powerboat needs maintenance of the engines. These will not be equivalent costs, the sailboat will probably require more up front but I'm believe it would come out well ahead money wise in the long run.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45   #10

For a mere $100k you are not going to get any luxury. Maybe an old, in need of work wooden Grand Banks. How big? Figure one gallon per 3 miles is the average consumption of diesel fuel for a 30-40 foot cruiser. Over 40 feet and you will get about one gallon per mile. If you want luxury then pay about $800k for a Hinckley sedan and that should get you about 2 gallons per mile. Welcome to reality.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:52   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:

Thanks!
Seriously Dude, you're gonna have to do better than this. The only parameter you've provided is budget. Do you really not have any preference regarding boat type?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:40   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
As ranger said, go to yachtworld.com and do a search to get a basic idea of what boats cost and start there for boat ideas.

There is also a current thread going that talks about expenses for a couple that has been cruising the carib and med for the last seven years - check it out here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html

Of course, your expenses could be much more or much less. Getting a power boat? Plan on spending a lot on fuel. Want decent gas mileage? Learn to sail. Where are you going to spend the night? Marinas are expensive. Anchoring is free. But depending on where you are, anchoring may not be an option, and so on...
Maybe a small diesel motor sailor would fit the bill. I cannot see feeding fuel for a trip like that. Gas would be insanity.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 13:51   #13

Wow, was thinking I would get some replies over the next several months to plan this out, You folks are awesome!

So for starters, I think sailing would be a lot of work, I prefer keeping things simple lol, plus the wife struggles with simple tasks. I will not be in a hurry to move around, thus do plan to move slowly and save on gas/diesel (hopefully will not have to travel far to catch some food lol). I am thinking a month or two near LA, then San Diego, then Baja, etc, thus taking a couple years to circle the US Coasts. And being realistic that docking at a Marina makes sense, even if it costs money, so we can get on land to explore too (was thinking a week out, a week in, if that makes sense).

I started by looking at boat trader, and I am looking for roominess since I plan to live aboard, thus it seems motor yachts, trawlers, sedans, and the like are appealing. Tried staying newer age, approx 2000 or newer.

I saved the following boats that appeal to me under 125k:
2001 Carver 396
1999 Carver 406 aft cabin
2007 Carver Mariner 36
2004 Carver 360 sport sedan
2004 Carver 366
2005 Regal 3880
2005 Meridian 381
2001 Silverton 392
1998 Fairline Phantom 38

By no means do these have to be my choices. Again, looking for roominess, comfort, slow travel speed is ok to save gas, etc

Thought about doing an RV, but think that would be easier when I get older, so figured I would do that after boating. THANKS!
Old 01-08-2016, 13:52   #14

Correct, see recent post, thanks!
Old 01-08-2016, 14:33   #15

Looking at Yachtworld, trawlers seem pretty roomy though not very luxurious, and less sporty, though that is not a big concern, under 150k:

2002 Prima Sea Horse
1999 Mainship 430
2002 Mainship 390
2002 Heritage Trawler

Tags
men