Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2014, 21:12   #61
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: Newbie - Is 57 too old to learn how to sail?

In my cruising I actually meet more older people sailing than younger. I'd say most people are between 50 and 70

I think there is a bigger issue turning more younger people to this life than older ones. The interest in learning to sail is not really growing like it used to hence why you are seeing many well known sailboat manufactures turning to building more powerboats.

Every decade I see less and less boats with sticks on them in the marinas. I'd like to think they are all out cruising but this is simply not the case.

Old 26-02-2014, 12:02   #62

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My work and family always had me far in-land from the sea so I am a real rookie and do not know anything about the sea, sailing or living on a boat.

We just retired so we have the time to learn - but we will be starting at ground zero. How many years does it take to learn to sail?

So - should we just forget about it and stay on land or go for it?
I stopped giving sailinglessons 2 years ago just before that I gave sailing lessons to a man of 82 that had never set foot in a yacht. After deciding he would not get seasick he had 18 lessons from me and his last lesson was to take a 26 foot Sadler to Camaret in Brest France with me aboard doing nothing. We had winds from F0 to F7 and he did a sterling job I ws never worried. My last contact from him was just 3 weeks ago he is now in the Cap Verdie Islands and heading west. I still sail solo at 67 and enjoy many a good sail as far as Spain and the Med from the North Brittany Coast. I have had heart surgery 17 years ago. The important thing is your state of health which by the way will only get better the more time you spend at sea. Good luck and enjoy you only live life once so go for it

Old 26-02-2014, 15:31   #63

Things seem to be moving slow but still forward. I know more now then last week. Now I understand some of the acronyms and safety will be #1. That I need a 'blue water' boat. I am starting to understand the cost and so far nothing earth shattering other than the boat cost itself. 'USED' prices seem like 'NEW' prices. 'New Prices' are mind boggling.
Old 26-02-2014, 15:33   #64

Boat: Pearson 27

Definately not to old. The key is take it slow and try and focus on the basics. After that things fall into place.
Old 26-02-2014, 15:43   #65

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

57 Not too old for learning to sail, but I'm currently thinking it's too old for climbing upside down into lockers and tight spaces for boat maintenance.
Old 26-02-2014, 21:34   #66

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

It all depends on the shape you're in - not so much your age..

http://svtikinotion.jimdo.com/
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:08   #67

Quote:
Things seem to be moving slow but still forward. I know more now then last week. Now I understand some of the acronyms and safety will be #1. That I need a 'blue water' boat. I am starting to understand the cost and so far nothing earth shattering other than the boat cost itself. 'USED' prices seem like 'NEW' prices. 'New Prices' are mind boggling.
If you are lookingfor advice on a yacht and where to find the right one I would be happy to advise you. I run a FREE Marine COnsultancy for people like yourselfwho find the mine field of yacht buying too much. If I can help Please message me and I will give you my e-mail address. Regards Pete
Old 28-02-2014, 12:31   #68

SOmeone here called Joe sent me a personal message I replied but think I may have deleted the message before it was posted. If that is you I am sorry please re message me and I will sort it out . Cheers Pete
Old 01-03-2014, 09:54   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
We just retired so we have the time to learn - but we will be starting at ground zero. How many years does it take to learn to sail? So - should we just forget about it and stay on land or go for it?
Heck....lots of folks retire, buy a boat and then cast off cruising green right out of the box...that's the reality of the majority of cruisers out there today. It freaks out and drives the "experts" that say you need this training, that training, or 15yrs of experience absolutely crazy to even think about it. Nonethless they are out there having a blast right next to the 25yr sea vetran who makes his own replacement sail slugs in his onboard machine shop...because everyone must have an onboard machine shop to be a "real cruier" he would say.

John Glenn started at Ground Zero and found himself amoung the Stars.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:03   #70

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

It takes about 10 minutes to learn how to sail a boat but a lifetime to learn to sail well. I started sailing when I was about 9 years old and at well into my seventies, I still learn something new almost every time I head out. Everyone who sails brings a little different trick to the pastime and you can continue to learn from everyone regardless how long you've been in the game... I believe this is the reason it is so popular. Phil
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46   #71

Re: Newbie - Is 57 too Old to Learn how to Sail?

Hi
I'm a very robust and healthy 64 and bought a Freedom 32 located in Florida about 6 months ago. I live in Ontario and plan to spend a larger part of the winters in Florida tho I still like to ski, so it won't be the whole winter.

I live on Georgian Bay in Ontario, Canada and after thinking about it recently, just bought a complete but very inexpensive Catalina 25 for $2750....I'll sail all summer, crew and take a few courses and should be ready to take my Freedom down the Gulf coast of Florida next winter....carefully!!!

As mentioned, you are only too old if you think you and I absolutely do not!!!!
Richard
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57   #72

Boat: Gib'Sea 302 , 9.1m
Re: Newbie - Is 57 too Old to Learn how to Sail?

I started at 67 and am single handing my 27' at 71...!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: