Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Newbie - Is 57 too old to learn how to sail?

It all depends upon you.

If in reasonably good shape and with some common sense it is very possible.

But some folks can't, no matter the age.

I bought my first sail boat at about 55, my first sail was solo up the coast. I am 63, and I've done about 8,000 miles, mostly singe handed.

But I see some other folks get on the boat and you can just tell they are completely uncomfortable, stiff and scared. My. wife was a bit like that but now she is doing much, much better. We live aboard half time.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16   #47

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I appreciate all the responses...well most of them anyway. When I was in my early 30's I was looking at a 26' Hunter as a beginners boat but bought a ski boat instead. The ski boat at that time made more sense and I did use the heck out of the boat. I will join a club and probably buy that beginners boat in the 26ish foot range.

Also I will plan on more time to learn, seems I will need at least a year or maybe 2 before I move up. But today I am going out in my kayak and look at the sailboats in the bay.

Thanks everyone.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19   #48

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Certainly you are not too old. I remember when I was only 57!

Before you and/or you wife decided its best to go to a couple major boat shows and/or areas to compare and go on boats in general. power and sail. To be a live aboard general requires bigger more capable boat, so you might want to start now taking courses, get out on the local water to gain experience and knowledge. Best to take a step at a time, and go from there.
Respectfully, don't do that – that is, the major boat show route. Don't fall into the "need this, need that" trap. It will come, soon enough, but hopefully your "needs" will be more tuned to what you have learned. Are you around the waters? Know anybody with boats? Don't be bashful. Many sailors are glad for a guest or crew, even green. Talking around the docks will uncover some grumps, but also the other kind. Live aboard? Are you about to make a choice of buying a house or boat? If not, just try to go floating. Do you have some money to lose? (you'd better). You can get a lot of smaller weekend capable boats for not much money, and to foo with the condition of the sails, etc. The basics should be sound. A good anchor and practice with it. (the anchor discussions here will drive you bats. Personally I've had best luck with the new kinds, Rocna and Manson Supreme.) When you're up against it, in anchorable water when you can't claw off a hard place, an anchor can be your brake.

Reading? The Storm Tactics books are great, but don't take much from them beyond "there's plenty to learn, but first is to pay attention." As for books on sailing basics, it's like everything: the more you know the more you learn, and good sailors never stop that process. Age? Are you moderately fit? Don't be silly. (And, respectfully, that's a defeatist kind of question. Does that describe you?)
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24   #49

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Bought my first sailboat at 60 and now have a 38 footer in the Med for summer cruising. Cruising is not rocket science. Do not confuse it with racing or blue water sailing which is what you will mostly read about. Make sure you know about weather in your patch and stay in port when it blows.

I wonder about the starting small idea. It's what I did and it cost me thousands in depreciation etc. It's mostly about learning the ropes, trimming the sails and mooring. the older the boat the more mechanically minded you might need to be because problems will arise.

Crewing on a race boat is often a waste of time; often all you learn is how to crawl across the coachroof as you move from side to side tacking and how to flake sails.

Chartering a boat and skipper for a week might give you an idea of what sailing is like. I shuddered at the cost however.

Have a think about buying the boat you want to end up with and organising a skipper to teach you the ropes for a season. Some people will do this for the pleasure of sailing, others will want to be paid.

+1 for just do it
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26   #50

I'd suggest taking a few ASA courses. I'm far from a sailing expert, but I took ASA 101 and 103 last summer and captained a 33 foot hunter for the rest of the summer with no issues. This was my first season sailing. I learned a ton from those courses, enough to confidently captain a boat. You can do the same.
southpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:28   #51
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My work and family always had me far in-land from the sea so I am a real rookie and do not know anything about the sea, sailing or living on a boat.

We just retired so we have the time to learn - but we will be starting at ground zero. How many years does it take to learn to sail?

So - should we just forget about it and stay on land or go for it?
I know a 90 year old man who single handed a 30 something foot boat up in New England until a few years ago after he had a muscle spasm on the foredeck. Now he has a sailing partner close in age. He told me he started sailing after he was 65.

Never to old to gain a new skill or hobby. Life is too short to pay attention to age. Do you want to be 60 and sailing or 60 and not sailing.?
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:46   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie - Is 57 too old to learn how to sail?

One of our members Rakuflames did not start till her early 60's.. and she had mobility problems but manages a 30ft Hunter.. live aboard as well I believe.. not been active on here recently so either tee'd off with us ragging her or unwell... hope its the former.. spunky lady.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 20:04   #53

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

We bought our boat from an 87 & 85 year old couple that sailed her from Washington to Glacier Bay Alaska 3 times and around Vancouver Island twice. So, no you're not even close to "too old"yet
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:00   #54

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

I'm 57 and the wife spent my retirement years ago, . , just dreaming about trading the motor boat off and invest in a off shore sail deal of some kind. Hoping for a Frugal lifestyle.
If sailing is not an option for me I will look for a good deal on a used cardboard box and a place to put it under an overpass, but I'd rather die at sea.
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:06   #55

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog View Post
I'm 57 and the wife spent my retirement years ago, . , just dreaming about trading the motor boat off and invest in a off shore sail deal of some kind. Hoping for a Frugal lifestyle.
If sailing is not an option for me I will look for a good deal on a used cardboard box and a place to put it under an overpass, but I'd rather die at sea.
Why but a Used Box... when you can get a New one at Home Depot?

jes sayin...

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 09:36   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog View Post
Dix... You're starting to post, and we're enjoyin' the company! Start now... There's a million opportunities out there.... Some of them are actually good one's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Ricko View Post
Why but a Used Box... when you can get a New one at Home Depot?

jes sayin...
And they come in several different sizes to you can have several separate rooms... Additions are a "ZIIIIP"! (that was the sound of a packing tape roller)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 10:04   #57

Boat: Freedom 38

I stepped on a sailboat for the first time 5 years ago and next month I'll turn 49 (yeah, still a mere babe, I know). First-hand experience will be your best teacher. Learn all you can in the forums, books, internet and classes, but know there will be moments of fear and uncertainty as you learn on your own. Let these motivate you and your wife, and don't let them cower you. Be willing to embrace the thumping heart as you rely on your confidence. Talk to others about any mistakes you make, scenarios you might encounter, or general questions you have. Absolutely, it can be done. The alternative is sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch watching the cars and your lives go by.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:09   #58

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I started sailing when I retired at 67. I would have curled up and died if I did not have an outlet for my energy. I am 73 now and I am in good health so I keep going with it although I do wonder if the Grimm Reaper is eying my hourglass. I have a centerboard dinghy that has taught me a lot about trimming sails, docking by sail, even anchoring if too close to shore. It cost me $2000 and well worth it, but I think it would have been better to go with a small keel boat as an accidental jibe will capsize a centerboard, and so I always wanted other boats around. Not sure I have the strength to climb up onto the centerboard to get the sailboat upright again. I say this because when the grand kids jump overboard to practice crew recovery, it's all they can do to get back on board even though the free board is about 8 inches. I can recommend the ASA 101, 103 & 104 courses, but check the internet for the particular school and instructors as the quality of instruction varies. The ASA courses allow you to rent a much larger sailboat. After taking the courses, you have to practice, or loose it. So, Carpe diem, seize the day.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:10   #59
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I started sailing when I retired at 67. I would have curled up and died if I did not have an outlet for my energy. I am 73 now and I am in good health so I keep going with it although I do wonder if the Grimm Reaper is eying my hourglass. .
But you'll die a sailor when he does and that's all that matters in the end.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:39   #60

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
But you'll die a sailor when he does and that's all that matters in the end.
YES! Carpe diem.
Carpe diem comes from a poem written in the Odes in 23 BC by the Latin poet Horace

Carpe diem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail