Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-12-2010, 12:13   #1

Boat: mt34dt
Newbie Here - Need Advice

Hello all,

I'm Mike and this is my first post but long time follower. I have made the decision to move aboard a smallish boat and cruise the Caribbean. I will break away June 2012 as this is when my son graduates from HS. I am single retired Navy for I have my pension. Plans are to live in Caribbean in winter then head up intercoastal during hurricane season or hole up near South America. My last boat was a Nonsuch 26 until Katrina claimed it. I have read many posts about good boats and not sure if I should go more seaworthy or more comfort. I have no plans of sailing the world. I have $100K in savings and a retirement income of $1400/month. Social security will kick in in about 6 yrs adding another $900/month to the kitty, also will have a small $400/month retirement from teaching in 2015. I like small boats and the PS Orien and Shannon 28 have my eye. Wondering if I should go up in footage to a lesser built boat for more room. I will be single handing it most of the time and an occasional guest will be aboard a few weeks a year. What would you do? Larger boat more room, more seaworthy boat less room. I would like to keep boat budget to < 50K and have the rest for cruising kitty/emergencies. Sorry for the long winded msg. and I have read extensively but still comfused. Thanks, Mike

Old 27-12-2010, 12:20   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Hi Mike... welcome aboard...
From my viewpoint if your mainly single handing with the occasional 1 guest at a time stick with the 28/30ft size... as you say you've no plans other than the Islands so keeping costs down is the way to go... unless you want a seperate cabin for the guest...
Good luck with your goals and happy sailing

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:27   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Just did a Yachtworld check and 960 boats came up with a 40-50k criteria and a 32-38 ft length. Love those little Shannons, almost bought one. But side by side, it'd be hard to take the Shannon over, say, one of these http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=32744&url=

Lots to choose from, obviously, but you did say small, so maybe you're on the right track.
Old 27-12-2010, 12:29   #4

Thanks Boatman...

Happy to be aboard....I do not need separate cabin and ease of single handling is important as well as maintenance costs. I plan to live mostly on the hook. I am leaning hard to the 28-30'ers just looking for those that have done both. Guess if I buy a good quality small boat I can always sale it and go larger if need be. Thanks for the welcome.

Mike
Old 27-12-2010, 12:33   #5

Thanks Anzo,

Very nice boat there, just wondering if maybe too big for a crew of one. I have been searching and there are some great buys right now. The one you posted is very nice indeed.

Mike
Old 27-12-2010, 13:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike .

I think you’re on the right track.
Maggie & I spent 10 years happily living aboard & cruising on our C&C29, a 28-1/2 Ft club racer. We were able to accommodate our daughter, son-in-law, & grandson on their annual visits.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 13:36   #7
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
I'm going the other way. Considering the amount of money you have and the income I would go the "lesser built boat" route. Why would you want to be on a small tank given your plans? Get some comfort and enjoy the boat instead of saying you have a perfect strom boat even though you plan to never need such a thing?
Old 27-12-2010, 15:03   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am leaning hard to the 28-30'ers just looking for those that have done both.
I'm more with Don on this. As you get ready to shop I would start with an open mind and look at large and small boats. Cost and repairs get larger faster than length. That is the only bad news. Look and see what you can buy for your money so you understand. Only boats you can buy now count! Deals someone heard about are meaningless.

Consider this. When you are out to shop you are not selecting from every boat ever made. You can only buy the ones you can go see and are for sale. If you toss out the ones that are too much anything the list is not that large. You can't pick the perfect boat on paper then go find one. You'll waste a lot of time and never find it. Get the best boat you can find and don't look back. Eyes wide open!

Give higher consideration to those that need less work. No project boats because you can't afford one in time or money. Assume all boats need work and maybe hold out 20% so you can have nice new canvas and some extra gear. Creature comforts like good canvas are a joy. It's not extravagant to be comfortable. You ain't sailing around the world so you have it a lot easier.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:23   #9

Thanks all....

I do not want a project boat. I want one in very good condition and would like to spend about $35K on boat and have $15k for outfitting. I am pretty handy with a tool, save for a paint brush (never could find one that fit properly and very mechanically inclined, although electricity is a short coming. I will start my search in March and hopefully land something summer of 2011. There is an Orion in Louisiana available that has peeked my interest. I must look at some 30-35 ft'ers to compare. I was very happy with my Nonsuch, very roomy for a 26' boat and easy to sail, offshore not so sure about. Anyway thanks for the input. Probabaly a silly question as I am the one gonna be living on her and I will spend a lot of time looking for the right boat. Hopefully she will speak to me when I find her. I have June, July, and August to cruise around the states looking for the one. Just wanted to know what you salty dogs would do.

Mike
Old 28-12-2010, 03:08   #10
cruiser

hey mark.

welcome and it sounds like you are in a good position.. You have more upfront money then me, but less monthly income...

I am looking for a boat that I can kinda fix up as i go, where as you might want toi consider something really turnkey for now..

I am seeing a good selection of 30ft'er in the 10-15k range... but they all probably need a about 2-5k worth of improvements from the get go...

I would think you will find a REALLY nice 30' for the $35k you are ready to buy with...

the only way to pay more would be to buy brand new and let it depreciate instantly...

anyways, I will be moving to So. Florida to get my boat in about 1-2 months, and then like you spends the next half year learning how to get off hook...

maybe we can run into each other down there.. (not literally, I hope)

bill
Old 28-12-2010, 03:39   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
My choice would be to go safe: seaworthiness over spaciousness. That's assuming you're not going to spend your time at a marina's dock. Gee, if you're single, how much room do you need? I'd suggest a boat that sleeps two (you might get lucky) and can serve dinner for four.
Old 28-12-2010, 03:48   #12

Boat: Able 50
If you are handy with the tools then don't forget the ex charter boats. They are always cheap and always have something that needs fixing. The Caribbean is full of them.
Old 28-12-2010, 04:21   #13

My vote is for 28-30 footer and the only thing I'd add to the good advice above is: don't aim to spend up to your budget but simply find the boat that suits your needs now. I think you could easiy get something adequate in that range for less and salt away the rest. That will provide some flexibility when you're thinking about your next vessel - and there'll always be one of those.
Old 28-12-2010, 05:20   #14
cruiser

+1

I agree with this philosophy too... get the bet quality boat for now, and that way there will be plenty of money for later on if you find a surprise or if you find a bigger better boat, because you will be surrounded by and have more oppertunity/exposure
Old 28-12-2010, 09:45   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
I would buy something like this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=3144&url=

It is a well built boat that has been well cared for (need to verify that in person). The shallow draft is a really nice feature for your ICW plans. It is plenty big for one plus an occasional guest. It is extremely seaworthy for a boat this size. It will hold its value well if you need to resell it. It is already on the East Coast. It is a well proven boat. It has a very active owners association so you can get good information and advice. The downside is the small fuel tank.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: