Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2010, 10:48   #16
cruiser

where can i find these boats???

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
If you are handy with the tools then don't forget the ex charter boats. They are always cheap and always have something that needs fixing. The Caribbean is full of them.
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 10:50   #17
cruiser

friggin lovely boat... wow!!!!!

But, I would question whether someone could sail that on thier own??? it maybe possible, but i couldnt imagine how to dock or moor the boat with just one person???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I would buy something like this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=3144&url=

It is a well built boat that has been well cared for (need to verify that in person). The shallow draft is a really nice feature for your ICW plans. It is plenty big for one plus an occasional guest. It is extremely seaworthy for a boat this size. It will hold its value well if you need to resell it. It is already on the East Coast. It is a well proven boat. It has a very active owners association so you can get good information and advice. The downside is the small fuel tank.
Old 28-12-2010, 10:53   #18

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
RainDog is right on the money. The boat is everything you need or want and you can add whatever once aboard & comfortable. Smart money on this kind of thing you really can't lose if you find it's not the life you expected. Your good common sense is all ready putting you in an excellent starting position. The fuel capacity shouldn't be impossible if you really sail her. The Volvo burns a little over half gallon an hour at cruise.
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 12:29   #19

Boat: mt34dt
Great reply's all. I will continue to do my research and pull trigger in next year. Friend of mine had a Cape Dory 30 and it was a fine boat, just another one to add to the mix. Itching to get away sooner but responsibilities i.e. son in school, are keeping me from doing it. I do have 3 months off in summer when son stays with mom, so I could buy sooner and sail during the summer, probably somewhere around the Chesapeake, then haul her out. I really want to get back on the water.
Thanks,
Mike
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 12:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
But, I would question whether someone could sail that on thier own??? it maybe possible, but i couldnt imagine how to dock or moor the boat with just one person???
Not sure I follow you. You mean this boat looks harder to sail with one than other boats in this size range?

It is a quite small boat, so sailing with one should be easy.

IMHO boats (such as this one) with a full keel and rounded bottom are much easier to dock single-handed because the wind pushes them around much less that fin keel, flat bottom boats. The downside is that backing up is considerably more challenging than with a fin keel.

With the exception of backing under power, I think this boat would be easier to sail and dock with one than most boats in the size range you are looking at.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 16:35   #21
cruiser

sorry, my bad... i was looking at that boat, but thinkin of a bigger boat...

I am at the 30ft limit myself, at least that is where i am targeting...

Mark, if you want o stay in touch and follow my progress so you can see what NOT to do, let me know..

but, I have just made an offer on a 29ft in the keys...I am looking to move in about 1-2 months...

I may fly down there to take a look at her shortly though...
Old 30-12-2010, 17:03   #22

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
where can i find these boats???
2006 Beneteau Oceanis 323 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2005 Beneteau Oceanis 323 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=53169&url=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=1469&url=

1986 Jeanneau Espace 990 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984.../United-States

If you want to pay around 80k or so there are plenty more near new boats.

Enough ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 17:27   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I would buy something like this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=3144&url=

It is a well built boat that has been well cared for (need to verify that in person). The shallow draft is a really nice feature for your ICW plans. It is plenty big for one plus an occasional guest. It is extremely seaworthy for a boat this size. It will hold its value well if you need to resell it. It is already on the East Coast. It is a well proven boat. It has a very active owners association so you can get good information and advice. The downside is the small fuel tank.

Sweet!

That is one to jump on - literally.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 05:59   #24

Not certain if this thread is dead, but my two-cents...

If you already sailed and enjoyed the Nonsuch 26, why not step up to the Nonsuch 30 Classic or Ultra? With the ultra, you sacrifice some cockpit space for a nicer layout below. The cockpit is still pretty big by 30' standards; just not huge like the one on the Classic.

The demand water heater is always nice as well.

Cheers,

Bob
anchorsaweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:59   #25

Boat: mt34dt
Re: Newbie Here - Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorsaweigh View Post
Not certain if this thread is dead, but my two-cents...

If you already sailed and enjoyed the Nonsuch 26, why not step up to the Nonsuch 30 Classic or Ultra? With the ultra, you sacrifice some cockpit space for a nicer layout below. The cockpit is still pretty big by 30' standards; just not huge like the one on the Classic.

The demand water heater is always nice as well.

Cheers,

Bob
Loved the Nonsuch 26 and would buy another in a heartbeat but looking for a bluewater boat just in case. The Nonsuch 26 or 30 Ultra would do everything coastal and Bahamas, but if I get a hankering to venture further asea I would like a different boat. I just bought a trailer sailer (WWP19) to hone my skills allowing me time to search for the one, I'll do some lake sailing, Sea of Cortez and the Keys, she'll help me decide what I really want.
Mike
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote