Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57   #1

New to sailing and new to live aboard

Hello,
I am seriously considering buying a sailboat to live aboard and sail when I can. I will be working full time Monday to Friday. I'm considering this more because I have recently moved to Florida from the UK and think it's something I would love to do, rather than because of a financial need. I will likely rent my house out for the time being.
I have seen a '98 Beneteau 36' Oceanis thats moored in a marina that I like. I have a friend who has been in the same marina as a live aboard for 2 years and so it feels sensible, initially, to benefit from his help in the early days. I also love the look and feel of the Beneteau. It has solar panels and wind power too, which seems like a good option.
Eventually, I would like to be in a mooring field, but until I get used to living aboard a boat, handling it and sailing it, the marina feels like a good option.
As I am completely new to this, I would be grateful for any views, hints, tips, advice or guidance on my planned experience.
Many thanks in anticipation...
Carole.
Yorkshire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06   #2

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: New to sailing and new to live aboard

Welcome aboard, Carole: you'll get plenty of all the above here. And yes, why not? Sounds like you have a good attitude and hope it leads to you a new world of adventure and fun (and occasional frustration, it has to be said ).
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06   #3

Boat: Hunter 420

lol....wow are you going to get some responses...hold on!
Add "go for it" to all the responses you get...good luck.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5055 View Post
lol....wow are you going to get some responses...hold on!
Add "go for it" to all the responses you get...good luck.
I am Doug? How so?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21   #5

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Girl View Post
I am Doug? How so?
I am rather wondering the same thing.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:28   #6

Patience...but I'll add more while we wait.
Join a sailing club..ask the forum sailors in your area looking for a mate to help sail to get experience, read, read and read. Safety first! But don't let anyone talk you out of doing it. My opinion, it was one of the best experiences in my life.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Welcome.

I was based out of Charlotte Harbour for a while.
Most of the South West area is a good place to live aboard.

Lancashire Lad.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:34   #8

Thanks Doug.
That sounds like great advice. I met a broker who said there are a group of people who sail every Sunday and I'm welcome to go along and be crew, so I'm going to do that this coming weekend. I also asked the guy in the marina where I saw the Beneteau if he knew of anyone who would be interested in giving me sailing instruction on my own boat, which I thought may be beneficial. He's going to give me the names of a couple of Captain's he recommends.
I know a lovely guy who has is 78 and has a 42' Morgan 'a proper boat', as he calls it, and doesn't recommend a Beneteau...he doesn't 'get' that I'm a girl and want something that's light and airy, with clean lines. Does anyone have experience of such a boat, and a view on whether or not it would be suitable for the ICW in Florida and down to the Keys and possibly the Caribbean?
Thank you
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good morning Yorkshire Girl,

It sounds a reasonable plan. Just remember that while deferred maintenance can be borne pretty well in houses, it can sink a boat, and boat ownership is qualitatively different from vehicle ownership.

Your post sounds as if you're a considering sort of person, and I think you have a good chance of having a wonderful experience, although I admit it's hard to tell from just one post.....

Have a great time with it.

Ann
Old 09-11-2015, 12:25   #10

another thing...be prepared to learn how to fix everything on the boat...from the engine, electric, plumbing etc...it will save you a fortune....let alone it may keep you from being stranded somewhere without any help around....and trust me, the sailing community is second to none when it comes to lending a hand....if they're around...lol.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:56   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

The Bennie is a good boat to start with. For living aboard, a center cockpit is hard to beat. There was a 40 Benne CC in our marina that looked very nice. Sold something this summer when I was gone. The 36 would not be hard to sail single-handed in the areas you are describing, but for Florida, make sure it has air conditioning. 36' will probably fit you fine, but you will be surprised how fast you can fill 36'.

It is a 17 year old boat, so be sure to get a good survey if you decide to buy it. At that age, I would pay the extra $$ to have a rigger inspect the rigging and a diesel mechanic to do the engine. Both can be fine, but we are talking 17 years and you do not want unpleasant surprises.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:13   #12

I pick up my new (to me) 34 ft Hunter at the end of this month and I'm living aboard.

Just dive in. Just do it. Otherwise you never will.
mdfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:47   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I'll assume you are already here and living ashore. Before you buy a boat you might consider simulating some of the inconveniences. Relative to any apartment, sailboats are cramped and storage is minimal. Look at the boat you like. Limit your closet use to what might fit on her. Same for the galley, especially the refrigerator. At the dock water and power are no problem but not so on the hook, etc. etc. You may love living aboard but you might not. Starting by buying a boat seems ass backwards to me. You might be better off in learning to sail first. Then basic sailboat maintenance from refilling the water tanks to checking you batteries. In any case best of luck to you.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Girl View Post
Hello,
I am seriously considering buying a sailboat to live aboard and sail when I can. I will be working full time Monday to Friday. I'm considering this more because I have recently moved to Florida from the UK and think it's something I would love to do, rather than because of a financial need. I will likely rent my house out for the time being.
I have seen a '98 Beneteau 36' Oceanis thats moored in a marina that I like. I have a friend who has been in the same marina as a live aboard for 2 years and so it feels sensible, initially, to benefit from his help in the early days. I also love the look and feel of the Beneteau. It has solar panels and wind power too, which seems like a good option.
Eventually, I would like to be in a mooring field, but until I get used to living aboard a boat, handling it and sailing it, the marina feels like a good option.
As I am completely new to this, I would be grateful for any views, hints, tips, advice or guidance on my planned experience.
Many thanks in anticipation...
Carole.
Please disregard the advice for air conditioning. I have sailed extensively in South East Florida on other peoples boats (lots of liveaboards) and have also bare boat chartered boats in the subtropics. NONE had air conditioning. And, yes, it is good advice to sail extensively before committing to a purchase. I would consider taking a blue water sailing course. Also - read everything you can get your hands on relative to your sailing interests. I had a three foot shelf of sailing books before I stepped aboard my first boat which was at a sailing school on a 39' Beneteau (nice boat). Blue water books in Fort Lauderdale has a web site that you can explore for books, charts and more. You need to know the Rules of the Road before anything. There are basic boating classes offered by Coast Guard Auxiliary orgs. (I think that's the name) in most major coastal cities. Great place to pick up knowledge for a beginner. Get Chart #1 and buy Sailing for Dummies as well as Herreshoff's "The Sailor's Handbook."
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08   #15

It's odd how many negative responses are tossed toward posts like yours. It's sad really, how arrogant a lot of people come off with their "helpful" comments. Go for it, worse case if you hate it sell the boat. Better to try and fail then never try. Dive in and get to swimming! Best of luck.
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing