Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2015, 14:15   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New to sailing and new to live aboard

YorkshireGirl,

I'm not sure how the insurance situation is in the US now, someone local can probably fill you in.

What I was wondering is whether your premiums would be lower if you took some formal instruction, whether the insurance company would require that or proof of experience before issuing you the insurance the marina will require? It's just something to check, that might change the order you do some things in.

Like I said earlier, have fun with it.

Ann

Old 10-11-2015, 14:18   #47

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Carole,
I own a beneteau 36cc, 2000 model. Great boat. Very comfortable and sails well. PM me if you have any questions.

Greg.
S/V Pura Vida

Old 10-11-2015, 14:31   #48

Good point Anne, thank you, I will
Old 10-11-2015, 15:28   #49

Welcome to the best of all worlds! I have some experience in this sort of thing. I got started in mid life as a complete landlubber. I had a sort of leg up... my best friend at the time... who got me into this... was a sailor with a boat and so I could pester him for answers. There was no www back then so it was books and magazines and speaking to people in boat yards. But you don't want to come off like a complete idiot either by asking dumb questions.

I read whatever I could get my hands on. I bought a 36' new boat in 85 the one I presently own and have sailed 50,000 miles by now and single handed back and forth to the Caribbean. My boat was new and only needed "tweaking" and gear for offshore or live aboard.

I tried to do everything myself.... planning the project in detail... taking lots of time... before I did a thing. You will have to (and like) learning about all sorts of things... boats have it all... plumbing, electrics, rigging, communications gear... joinery and so on. Almost every project I had to do some part of two or three times to get it right... Sequence is important.

Working at a dock is way way more convenient than at a mooring. In winter I in water store and so I can do projects dockside... In summer on the mooring it's just more difficult but always doable. And you'll acquire all manner of tools in the process.

I am sure you can sail (day sail) with other sailors on their boats or they on yours... Make a picnic and invite some good sailors! They eat and teach! All is good.

In a few years you'll be sailing wherever you want. And that.... is very cool.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2015, 15:34   #50

Boat: Hunter 420

You might want to go to the St.Petersburg Sailboat Show Dec 3-6, 2015...Lots of good stuff there. New and used sailboats, seminars, sailing vendors, food and beer....
Old 10-11-2015, 23:51   #51

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
YorkshireGirl,
What I was wondering is whether your premiums would be lower if you took some formal instruction, whether the insurance company would require that or proof of experience before issuing you the insurance the marina will require?...

Ann
I believe, that is a state by state regulation... In Oregon, it is a simple Boater Safety course which is required for Registration and Insurance... here's a link to Florida instructions Florida Boat Registration Instructions | DMV.org. It appears Florida requires an exam similar to ours... It costs next to nothing and involves an hour or so of online instruction/testing.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:50   #52

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Girl View Post
Then how does this sound for a plan?
1. Buy the one I like in the marina my friend is staying in if it surveys up ok
I would allow a bit more time and a much wider search area. At least used boats are very much individuals, and it may be better to look around for a while. You might find a much better boat or a boat that is much more suitable for you, and that has a more suitable price tag too. Unless you are happy to switch to a new one quickly, it may be better not to marry the best guy from the first bar you drop into.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

There was a woman author who cruised with her husband and children on a Beneteau 38 for 7 or 8 years I think. She wrote three different books about it with pics and diagrams. I believe her name was Liz something. I'll see if I can find it. I bought two of them but I think they are on my boat.

Maybe I'll see you there[/QUOTE]

The book was named Cruising for cowards and the authors are Liza and Andy Copeland

She has other books but this one systematically address questions you may have

ABOUT ANDY & LIZA COPELAND
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

BTW. Their boat is a 1985 Beneteau 1st 38 that they are still sailing actively and have put over 117,000 miles on. So take that all you Bene bashers

Bagheera is a Beneteau First 38' built in France in 1985

that we have owned since new. Since picking her up in France we have logged over 117,000 nautical miles and visited 114 countries, including a circumnavigation with our three young sons. Oversized rigging, a collision bulkhead forward and additional lockers were the only structural modifications made when new. Equipment was always upgraded when replacement was necessary. With a tall masthead rig and 7’2” draft she is a high performance, moderate displacement and easily steered craft in which we have rarely averaged less than 150 n. miles in 24 hours when offshore.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:27   #55

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Girl View Post
... Then how does this sound for a plan?
1. Buy the one I like in the marina my friend is staying in if it surveys up ok
2. Set the boat up with everything I need whilst living in my house
3. Spending the whole of this time reading, reading, reading about sailing and boats in my spare time...
I was just thinking about how much fun Lisa and I had driving around the PNW looking at boats before I bought Sedna... I'll admit it was love at first sight when I found her but she wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started looking. That said, no decision is final... if you buy a boat that isn't comfortable, sell it and buy another.
Old 11-11-2015, 19:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
Carole,
I own a beneteau 36cc, 2000 model. Great boat. Very comfortable and sails well. PM me if you have any questions.

Greg.
S/V Pura Vida
Thanks Greg
Old 20-11-2015, 21:50   #57

I had a question for you experts. I plan to do a course for Coastal Skipper and get a certificate for the same, the one that is required for driving ships (12m x 4m) in Sweden. I spoke to many naval officers who suggested this course - Kustskepparexamen - Navigationsgruppen - Vi utbildar dig I request you to check if this will really help me.
P.S. - You might need to translate it to English since the page is in Swedish.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: