Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20   #31

Re: New to sailing and new to live aboard

The Beneteau's are nicely designed for comfort. If you like it, go for it! Florida's a great place to live aboard. Negotiate the price, boats can often be bought for much less than asking price. Up to 40% on some!

PS: Carole said nothing about sailing, just living aboard. She can sail as he gets comfortable ... or not!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:24   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
not many "yet" but I wasn't just talking about this post. So many of the posts like this are met with "your plan is ass backwards" kind of stuff that it comes across as less than helpful. People come here to ask for helpful info (which is given in heaps) not to get beat down and told they are idiots for dreaming (even if sometimes unrealistically) and wanting to be a part of the cruising community.

Yes I do see negative responses to some newbies that post to the forum but generally only the ones that run along the lines of "I've never been on a boat before, I found a 30 year old 25' brand X for $10,000 that I want to buy and leave next week for Hawaii." Almost never do I see a negative post to someone like Yorkshire Girl that comes in with a realistic idea.

And by the way, welcome to the forum Yorkshire Girl. I think you are coming into this with both eyes open, a good plan and the right attitude. If you do end up buying this boat I guarantee that you will find lots of very nice people in the marina that will go out of their way to help out a new boat owner. That's just how boaters are and one thing I love about the life.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30   #33

Thanks skipmac
Yorkshire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:50   #34

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
PS: Carole said nothing about sailing, just living aboard. She can sail as he gets comfortable ... or not!
You might want to reread the Original Post...
Old 10-11-2015, 10:53   #35

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You'll want amenities, most of which are on all more modern vessels, but just in case- hot & cold running water, refrigeration (not just an ice box), gas burners (preferably with a large gas tank).

Where are you going to hang out with friends? In the cockpit. So you'll want an easy hatch to get in and out- the Catalina 30 is probably king of that. And a short stairway because you'll be up and down up and down.

You'll want a comfy cockpit (and cushions!). You'll want to lay against the cabin bulkhead facing aft, and you won't want the traveler across the cockpit. Of course you'll need a bimini and dodger to hide from rain and sun.

The bed. Make sure it has a big bed. Now, somebody is going to gripe about what I have to say, but in my search for a new boat this is one of the three mandatories- a big bed. V berths are OK for weekends and some live-aboards, but not for me. I want my lady right next to me, not separated by the "V" in the berth; and neither of us wants to climb over the other like in the Beneteau 405. And I don't like aft cabins because I love the breeze coming down the hatch dropping on my face. You should give some good thought to the bed and cabin, because that is where you will spend a lot of time.

Our other "mandatory" is a step-through transom.

You'll want a boat you can single-hand (take on/off dock and sail alone) which is not that hard and fine for a B36. Yeah, but you'll have friends to "help" right? Huh. Not land people. Easier to tell them to sit there, and you do the work.

If you're tall make sure the boat has headroom where you need it. We had a killer deal on a great boat that hadn't even been listed- that is, until we actually got in the boat and realized we couldn't stand up in the galley.

How easy is it to get in and out of the dining area? Some are L shaped, meaning first in last out- so if Mr. First In is seated near the bulkhead and decides he needs to use the loo just as you serve dinner, everybody has to scoot out, wait for him, then back in again. Best to have a table approachable from two sides.

Don't get all upset about AirCon. There are those made to drop through hatches, but many people make do with a standard unit through the companionway (where you get in and out of the cabin). I use an upright self-contained unit that exhausts through a port and stores away under the V Berth. There are plenty of ways to take care of that.

Finally- and most important- is security. During the week and particularly at night marinas get pretty quiet and empty. A lady aboard alone during quiet periods is not, to my mind, a great idea. At least you'll want to be able to lock from the inside and secure the hatch against intrusion. So you'll want to talk to people around your selected marina(s).
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Girl View Post
Thanks skipmac
Welcome and good luck finding your boat.

By the way, I got to visit Yorkshire a couple of years back. Beautiful countryside. The M62 between Leads and Manchester is the only place I've ever seen a farm right in the middle of a motorway.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:17   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Just for you Skipmac, and maybe for Yorkshire Girl if feeling homesick.
Known as the "Little House on the Prairie.

nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

Used to drive past it a lot.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:33   #39

Ahhhh Scammonden Dam, right beside the M62! Thank you...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37   #40

Just to let you know, it's a gated marina with 24 hour security, so feels very safe. Now the mooring field one day will be a very different matter and something I'll need to consider as and when...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:44   #41

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Smile Re: New to sailing and new to live aboard

I have owned my Beneteau 38 (1997) for ten years. I has been a great boat and never let me down. Yes, if I was in 80 kts of wind I would probably want something with a full keel but I have been sailing 45 years and the most I have ever seen was 45 kts and my Bene could have handled that ( I was in a Catalina 38 at the time) Get some experience with other skippers, maybe join a race crew, and upgrade your systems as you find the need. Try to do as much yourself as you can to save money and learn your boat. This forum is a great place to find info on your boat and issues you may have.

There was a woman author who cruised with her husband and children on a Beneteau 38 for 7 or 8 years I think. She wrote three different books about it with pics and diagrams. I believe her name was Liz something. I'll see if I can find it. I bought two of them but I think they are on my boat.

DO NOT miss the strictly sail show in Florida Feb 11-15 2016
Progressive® Insurance Strictly Sail Miami®
They have great seminars about 1 hour long on just about everything you might want to know by the people who have done this and vendors. They are all free with the price of admission.

Maybe I'll see you there
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:10   #42

Sailing can be exciting and exasperating. I love the freedom it gives me, being on the water and the sailing friends I've made. Theres always more to learn, especially if you're going to live aboard. Check out "Women Who Sail" on Facebook for advice on your new endeavor.
NautiNomad Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:30   #43

That's fantastic Mark, thank you...maybe I will ��
Old 10-11-2015, 12:37   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes. That's the place. Wondered how they sleep at night with the lorries roaring by both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

Old 10-11-2015, 12:41   #45

Thank you, will do

Tags
sail, sailing