Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 08:15   #16

Re: New to sailing and new to live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
It's odd how many negative responses are tossed toward posts like yours. It's sad really, how arrogant a lot of people come off with their "helpful" comments. Go for it, worse case if you hate it sell the boat. Better to try and fail then never try. Dive in and get to swimming! Best of luck.
I am curious as to how many negative responses were "tossed" to her in your opinion?
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21   #17

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I am rather wondering the same thing.
I can tell you.
You're going to hear how dumb an idea it is because you have no experience sailing. And you can't pick a boat that will suit you because you don't know anything yet. Some will tell you you need lessons and then to charter different boats for a year or two before you are informed enough to make a decision. Etc. etc.
Some of us operate differently. We sometimes pay a price for it, but that's life.
Good luck and follow your heart.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
I am curious as to how many negative responses were "tossed" to her in your opinion?
not many "yet" but I wasn't just talking about this post. So many of the posts like this are met with "your plan is ass backwards" kind of stuff that it comes across as less than helpful. People come here to ask for helpful info (which is given in heaps) not to get beat down and told they are idiots for dreaming (even if sometimes unrealistically) and wanting to be a part of the cruising community.
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

While I have not been a permanent live-aboard yet, the day will come! I have lived a complete summer, and many, many LONG weekends, including through the Northeast winters, and there's nothing like waking up on any given morning, making coffee and feeling the peacefulness.

Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Live the dream.

Be ready for anything and yes, as dw5055 said, read. Many things, almost always unexpectedly, can and will go wrong, but the joys and memories last forever.
Boating in Connecticut Boating on Long Island Sound Boating News
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:31   #20

Quote:
not many "yet" but I wasn't just talking about this post. So many of the posts like this are met with "your plan is ass backwards" kind of stuff that it comes across as less than helpful. People come here to ask for helpful info (which is given in heaps) not to get beat down and told they are idiots for dreaming (even if sometimes unrealistically) and wanting to be a part of the cruising community.
Yes, I know and have observed. But so many people post basic questions without showing evidence of having done ANY prior searching for information. I am also active in the UHH photography forum. Same thing. "What's the best camera?" Here: "what boat should I get?"
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34   #21

Boat: Hunter 420

Ok Carole so you're getting some opinions now.....some good, some so so...IMO. This Site helped me immensely. I didn't really write much when I first got on here just read all the topics that interested me. Then took all this info (opinions), went thru it and thought about what made common sense to me. And btw you can't beat experience and there's alot of it here. As someone once said..."you're dead alot longer than you are alive"....so get out there and enjoy it....lol.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
Yes, I know and have observed. But so many people post basic questions without showing evidence of having done ANY prior searching for information. I am also active in the UHH photography forum. Same thing. "What's the best camera?" Here: "what boat should I get?"
Ha, It's funny though, I'm looking for a new camera as I type this on the BH page. There is so much info out there on the cameras I am looking at that it becomes overwhelming (the more I read the less I know.) At some point with all the info out there it becomes hard to match up apples to apples. It's the same thing with boats It can be Frustrating and I guess that is why the simple broad questions are so typical.
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:43   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My 2c, note I do not yet live aboard, just a few weeks here and there when I can.
You don't have to be a sailor, I wasn't , maybe I'm still not, but being "handy" at fixing things helps, I have had a very difficult time finding competent people to do anything on my boat, so I end up doing most of it myself. The sailing thing is not rocket science, and it doesn't have to be done in a day either, make learning it fun, not work, but living on a boat does not require a sailor, that an come later.
Living in a Marina and working every day is in my opinion many, many times easier than living on the hook. I wouldn't consider myself having a "real" job and not being in a Marina myself, if I could. Just imagine trying to dinghy in, in 20 kts of cold blowing rain to go to work at 7 am.
I can't even think of what life in a Marina would be like without air conditioning, and heat for the winter. It's not difficult or expensive, and keeps the inside of the boat "dry", why in the world not have it? Be hard I think to find a good sized, newer boat in Florida that doesn't already have it.

You get a lot of hard core people here who think showering in fresh water, washing dishes in fresh water, airconditioners, refrigerated food, TV etc to be un-necessary luxuries, and for them that is fine, just there are others of us that want those luxuries, and we aren't bad for wanting those things, and you can have them too, don't think just because you are going to live on a boat you have to live in the stone age, you don't.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:51   #24

Quote:
Ha, It's funny though, I'm looking for a new camera as I type this on the BH page. There is so much info out there on the cameras I am looking at that it becomes overwhelming (the more I read the less I know.) At some point with all the info out there it becomes hard to match up apples to apples. It's the same thing with boats It can be Frustrating and I guess that is why the simple broad questions are so typical.
I know lots about cameras and photography. Maybe I could help. What do you want to do in photography? There are basic models, so called bridge cameras with extensive zoom lens ranges, and DSLR's that feature interchangeable lenses. All have video. Personally, I have a Canon IS50, a Canon 60D and a Canon SL1. Lenses from 8mm to 300. Email at fredericksenr@hotmail.com if you have more questions.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:23   #25

Boat: 47' Cutter

Hi Carole,

Living aboard is fab. If the Bennie grabs you, get a really good survey so that there are no unexpected nasties that will empty your pocket and curb your enthusiasm and Go for It. I’d consider it “my first boat”. There is always a “next” boat and IMHO never a “perfect” boat. I find that you never stop learning to sail and that next boat spec is constantly changing. If you have a 9-5 job consider the logistics of getting ready for work each day including wardrobe, hair and ironing etc. Being based in a marina means that this should not be a problem, being at anchor makes all of this a little more involved. Make sure that you can stow everything so that you can easily cast off the shorelines for that weekend sail. You only regret things that you haven’t done and if it doesn’t work you can always sell the boat, but I suspect that you will love it.

Go for It!

Moose
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:51   #26

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Carole,

Welcome to the forum.

Your questions reveal you have given living aboard some deep thought and are ready to try it on for size.

I've been living aboard off-and-on over the last few decades in 5 different vessels- and still every time I take a break from it there is an adjustment period upon return.

I mention this because, like a house, a boat doesn't have to be your last and only [or only place of residence...] A good vessel well purchased can be resold with little 'loss' if well maintained [but will rarely gain value like a house might- at least in my experience...]

In May 2014 we retired and moved aboard our [last?] boat. It is Donna's first experience living aboard, and she has adjusted well to our new home and lifestyle and has written about her adjustments on our blog. [link below]

Your concept of starting out at the dock is a smart one in many ways.

First, with your work schedule, it will be the most convenient approach from my experience.

Second, once you start using your boat, you will gain lots of docking experience. [Just as parallel parking a car on a steep incline is also a necessary skill, but not often practiced by everyone...]

Lastly, as you prepare to enjoy your boat away from the dock, you will have a good feel for how everything works and how long you can go between battery charges, water fills, etc. [by unplugging at the dock and pretending to be at anchor in preparation for cutting the umbilical...]

If we could recommend a couple of other sources [among many...] that might also give you a good feel for things to consider when living aboard a boat, one would be The Boat Galley [Carolyn goes well beyond what her site name might suggest...]

You may also want to investigate joining the closed Facebook group Women Who Sail. [Donna really enjoys that group and highly recommends it.]

We hope you have fun and enjoy your journey.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 10-11-2015, 10:02   #27

Thank you to you all. As with any kind of research on a new subject, all views and opinions are helpful in order to help me make my own choices. I am, by nature, a positive, optimistic and enthusiastic girl who follows her dreams. Can I be impulsive? Yes...can I sometimes make things a little tricky for myself? Yes...do I always manage to get back on an even keel (hey, that must be a sailboat analogy) and learn from the experience? Absolutely...and have a lot of fun along the way 😊. My house is close to having the remodeling finished and I have decided it's probably sensible to get that finished (only another couple of weeks) and start my new job next Monday before I buy a boat. Then how does this sound for a plan?
1. Buy the one I like in the marina my friend is staying in if it surveys up ok
2. Set the boat up with everything I need whilst living in my house
3. Spending the whole of this time reading, reading, reading about sailing and boats in my spare time
4. Organize a Captain who can teach me how to sail
5. Move onto the boat and become comfortable living on it in a safe, secure marina with my live aboard friend in the same marina
6. Learn to sail my boat with an experienced captain
7. Start to sail locally
8. Go with the flow and see how it goes...and decide at some point in the future about a mooring field. I have to say, I am strongly drawn to living comfortably, albeit in a compact and bijou, though beautiful space...surrounded by water, with a downtown office where I can give something back and make a positive difference to other people's lives...job first though...visa doesn't allow hypnotherapy practice yet...though I have no doubt it will when the time is right.
I do believe if we follow our hearts with conviction, the Universe conspires to help us live our dreams. In March I sold my house in the UK, came to Florida on my own, knowing a handful of people I met last December on a trip here who are now great friends...not knowing if I would be able to stay beyond my 6 month visa...because it felt the right thing to do...have made lots of wonderful friends, went away for 3 months intensive accelerated hypnotherapy training so I can help people less fortunate than myself, been offered a job that comes with a 5 year visa by a British Company owner who met one of my friends in the same tiki bar I met him!
I am confident everything will work out as it should and in the meantime, you all are helping make my journey easier and simpler...and for that I'm very grateful...thank you 🙏
Yorkshire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:06   #28

That's great Bill, thank you
Old 10-11-2015, 10:06   #29

Fabulous Moose, thank you
Old 10-11-2015, 10:18   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Welcome to CF Carole,
I've been living aboard in Oregon for a few years now. At least you picked Florida... I love the life, but when our weather turns wet and cold I question my sanity. Living aboard is great and you will have ample opportunity to gain sailing experience living in a marina. My main suggestion is to make sure you feel comfortable in the space of whatever boat you get, storage is limited.

Best of luck,
JimK

Tags
sail, sailing