Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2018, 17:16   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: New to Living on a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp77 View Post
The advice that I've seen in this one thread has been more informative than every other thread that I've read combined, thank you to everyone for your input. I have zero experience with anything outside of a fishing boat, and I'm not interested in sailboats. I know what kind of boat I want, I know what I want to do, I have almost all of the resources at my disposal, but lack the experience and expertise that many of you have. I grew up in Tampa, Fl. but the Army has seen it fit to stick me in the stinky sphincter of the US known as Kentucky. I'm working on getting away from this cesspool, and hopefully will be able to within the next few weeks. I read a post here suggesting finding an owner that would more or less rent out their live-aboard. I love the idea, but I would want something that is at least CLOSE to what I have in mind for when I buy my own.
That in mind, if anyone has, or knows someone that has a 75' - 90' motor yacht akin to an older (1980's - 1990's) Canados 80 or Technomarine that they would be willing to let and/or use to teach a 41 y/o slightly disabled veteran, I would be most appreciative.
Let me be very clear, this is NOT a midlife crisis, it is something that I have been dreaming of and working toward for some years, and it WILL happen regardless of any help that I may or may not get. However, I believe in working smarter, not harder, and I like to draw on other's experiences and knowledge to make things easier for me and safer for others. So, again, all advice is welcome and appreciated.
One more thing, if anyone is willing to help show me the ropes (pun definitely intended) by letting me join on a voyage this coming summer, I would be more than happy to pull my own weight as best I can given my limited experience...
This has been on Craigslist lately. Might be your cup of tea!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...472519672.html

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:41   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wasp.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:38   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
This has been on Craigslist lately. Might be your cup of tea!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...472519672.html
Thank you for that, however the link may be broken. I'll try looking via a different method.
Wasp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57   #64

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp77 View Post
Thank you for that, however the link may be broken. I'll try looking via a different method.
The link still works. It's listed in the Tampa Craigslist under: 80 Foot US Navy Trainer YP668. Looks like a cool boat but the maintenance requirements on a vessel like this would be enormous. For a live aboard I'd recommend something more modest.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
if you are not cramped in a very small studio apartment you might be OK.
I was lower enlisted in the Army, we were grateful when our barracks could accommodate two bunks and we didn't have to take turns getting out of bed. I really don't think that a 80'+ boat will be too encroaching, lol.
My main concerns are learning what I need to be able to pilot something that big by myself, and... well... learning to pilot a boat that big. lol

Wasp77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: