Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 06:53   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New to Living Aboard and Being Pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansmith View Post
................. Would you suggest any type of boat for us to check out?
This is an often asked question that is near impossible to answer. Here are just a few of the conflicts:

Do you value a low maintenance boat built with the appearane of a Chlorox bottle or a beautiful vessel loaded with brightwork that requires great care for the wood?

Do you value light wind performance and easy manuevering with a fin keel or the weight, size and strength of a long keeled cruising "truck"?

Do you value the current reliability of new or are you capable to revive and refit an older boat?

Do you value the choice of long passages offshore with the chance of being subject to major storms or would you choose coastal crusing and selecting weather that would make your passages only subject to brief thunderstorms?

Do you expect to stay in deeper waters or spending time gunkholing up shallow estuaries?

These are just a few of the compromises that must be made. I sail a moderately heavy, long-keeled, inexpensive, "chlorox" bottle designed, shoal draft, coastal cruiser that I've stuck with for 41 years, but my first live aboard was a high performance, light, fin keeled design. I made my choice, but it's not for all.
Old 09-03-2014, 18:36   #47

Hi! I'm new to this forum, I am 3 months pregnant actually so we already have a lot in common haha. My husband telecommutes in the IT field, he can work anywhere within a couple time zones of the Eastern U.S. We spent last Fall in Roatan and then Argentina. Now we are thinking how amazing it would be to live on a boat and travel around. We are not anywhere near that point though and will for sure wait until after the baby is born and around for a few months. But I would like to keep an eye on this thread, maybe we can stay in contact!
I've always thought it would be awesome to somehow rent or splits costs of a boat with a few other families in a similar situation and take advantage of this lifestyle we are so lucky to have.
BestFaceForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:15   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestFaceForward View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum, I am 3 months pregnant actually so we already have a lot in common haha. My husband telecommutes in the IT field, he can work anywhere within a couple time zones of the Eastern U.S. We spent last Fall in Roatan and then Argentina. Now we are thinking how amazing it would be to live on a boat and travel around. We are not anywhere near that point though and will for sure wait until after the baby is born and around for a few months. But I would like to keep an eye on this thread, maybe we can stay in contact!
I've always thought it would be awesome to somehow rent or splits costs of a boat with a few other families in a similar situation and take advantage of this lifestyle we are so lucky to have.
Hey! That's awesome and congrats on the pregnancy! I bet getting to live in other countries has to be amazing. I don't remember what I originally wrote in this thread haha but my husband is in the navy. He's seen more of the world than I have. I haven't even left the states yet but I'm dying to! Almost I'm not pregnant yet and not sure when we plan to but with us wanting to live aboard I figured finding out all the info I could would be the best. It's amazing how many woman actually live aboard pregnant.

Have you guys ever owned a boat? Do you want to go with a sailboat or power?

Right now we have a sailboat. My husbands second one and my first so we are still new to it. We were going to go with a sailboat but with my husband being in the navy we know we won't be able to travel far for a while so we are looking Into powerboats for the extra room.

You're more then welcome to add me on Facebook or email me if you want. We are in the east coast too. What state are you guys in?
Ansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard