Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New to Live aboard life. Looking into it.

Matt, If you're looking for a useful book I would suggest Nigel Caulder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual". If you're considering instruction I would recommend the course offered for very low cost by the local USCG Auxiliary Power Squadron usually at local community or adult education centers. Most of those that are prone to seasickness don't find it a problem while the boat is moored or in a slip. 'keep us informed of your adventures.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

I think OP needs to first decide whether the boat is to be purely a liveaboard or is intended to also be sailable - or to be used later as a means for voyages to distant lands......plusses and minuses to all approaches.

Living in a floating house is not that difficult - mostly centred around making sure it does not sink! the trickier part comes when dealing with a boat that goes sailing to places - but fortunately not rocket science.

But the good news is that OP sounds like he has the income to pay for some learning curve! - my advice is to look at the first boat you buy as a learning tool, and don't pour all your dreams and cash into her from the getgo.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11   #18

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'm not saying, "Nay". I'm saying don't buy a boat to move aboard when you have never been on a boat. Join a sailing club; charter; take a boat ride on a fishing charter; rent a skiff; cross a river on a ferry. I don't have a memory in my life at an age when I had never been on a boat. I would think it would be well advised to have a little experrience on a boat before the commitment, Please don't interpret my response as a naysayer. On the contrary, do it!...but don't just fall into it totally unaware.
A few months ago we met an older German couple, who was moored on the Suriname River, here in South America. This guy was an aluminum welder. He just bought the drawings of a Reinke 12M, started to weld and when the boat was almost finished, he and his wife took a few sailing lessons. He didn't even finish the course. With the mast in horizontal position they motored from Germany to the Mediteranean and started sailing. Now, three years later, they have done the Med and crossed the Atlantic. And they are just doing fine. Relaxed people.
You know, that is just how certain people do things in life. They get an idea and act. And learn while they are doing their thing. So please give AlmostSailingMatt some space.
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 14:26   #19

I am new to this Forum and having raced smaller boats in the past, I am ready for a larger boat. I want to get into the cruising lifestyle and have looked at boats in the 40 foot range. It is only 2 of us and about $150,000 to spend. I am looking for advice on Make, size and equiptment needed.
Thanks for any help out there!
~WP
grn4nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:15   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
........................ So please give AlmostSailingMatt some space.
Of course, Matt has all the space he wants! Anecdotal evidence doesn't change the percentages. Most people that do well with living on boats gain some experience with boats before their first purchase.
Old 04-11-2012, 13:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

How is this different from, "I've never been on a horse, but I want to be a rodeo cowboy"? "I don't speak French, but I'd like to apply for the French teaching job". ....or...."I've never seen a piano, but I want to be a pianist. Isn't there some earlier step that you might take?
I bought my boat, a 1969 27' Irwin sloop, when I had never sailed before, took lessons a week later, and now I live aboard and am cruising from NC to FL. Its not impossible, but I will say, you're going to learn a lot of lessons the hard way. Have fun with it, and good luck.
twoifbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43   #22

Boat: Irwin 33

Matt,
Are you hell-bent on a sailboat? Don't forget to ask a marina how much liability insurance you are required to have on the boat. I can tell you from experience that if you have a land schedule (job), living on a mooring ball will get old real quick. You will have to dinghy back and forth at least twice a day during the week, regardless of the weather. You'll probably want a generator, and you'll have to consider how you are going to get water. I'm not trying to pi** in your Cheerios, just giving you more facts to consider. If I wasn't a sailor, and I just wanted to live on a boat, I would get a houseboat.
piratesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26   #23

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Matt,

My advice is to not go into debt, buy a boat for cash, even if you only have $2500. You can live aboard many 22ft pocket cruisers. Bank all the money you can each payday, and enjoy each day and night aboard the boat. You are young yet, and have your whole life ahead of you. I can not stress enough that true freedom comes when you have choices and the biggest limiting factor on your choices is debt. Taking on debt is akin to selling yourself into slavery.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47   #24

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
Matt,

My advice is to not go into debt, buy a boat for cash, even if you only have $2500. You can live aboard many 22ft pocket cruisers. Bank all the money you can each payday, and enjoy each day and night aboard the boat. You are young yet, and have your whole life ahead of you. I can not stress enough that true freedom comes when you have choices and the biggest limiting factor on your choices is debt. Taking on debt is akin to selling yourself into slavery.
Old 31-07-2013, 13:44   #25

Boat: catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This is too funny but also too true.
This guy don't even know if he will get seasick or not.
Funny, but I have been boating quite a bit this last few years, and I still get sea sick at times. Just have to put up with it for a while till it passes. There are lots of treatments for it also....although no cures. (heavy sigh)
tangled is offline   Reply With Quote