Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 11:56   #16

Thank you for your service, your dedication, and your hard work. Congrats on the open posting in paradise!! I'm mostly a clueless newb, but liveabord in St. Croix is hubby and my dream/goal, so I'd say do all the research, run all the numbers, then do everything in your power to make it feasible!! And enjoy life! You've earned it!!
Ldylightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:54   #17

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Re: New Job St. Thomas Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHunter View Post
I would like to solicit input on living aboard (38 Foot) boat in St. Thomas. I work for the government and have the opportunity to get a paid move down. This will be my last assignment, retirement in the next few years. Is living aboard a real option? I will have an issued vehicle, so ground transportation will not be an issue. My wife will join me in a year or so. Can you anchor or get a long-term mooring? I think the marina / dock fees would be astronomical. I am open to renting a place if I knew my boat was in a good spot. Suggestions on close hurricane holes for approaching weather. I’m new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. Yes I did a search on this type of thread before I posted, most of the posts are dated. Thank you in advance for you time and input.
You may be surprised that marina prices at the condo's like Sapphire Beach in Red Hook are not as expensive as you might think. Especially when you make the effort to contact any absentee owner who has a dock that sits empty when he's not there. Make friends with the dock masters at as many as you like and he can put you onto the right connection. (a little cash incentive goes a long way) Latitude 18 is another deal with moorings and dockage but the ferry traffic out of Red Hook can be a pain.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 11:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

I was walking down the dock the other day with a guy to do an estimate on his boat. While we were walking; he was telling me how he was "100% VA disabled"...........
Both my wife and I are disabled vets. My wife has severe PTSD. Not all disabilities are visible. Perhaps reign in your tone for people who suffer daily after serving their country.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard