Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 10:30   #1

New here and wanting to find a good first boat.

I've been reading a lot of the blogs and forums for many months and have decided that living aboard and sailing are something I want to do at some point soon. I'm tired of paying rent for a 1 bedroom and believe it would be more rewarding to travel and live at sea like I see Delos doing. Unfortunately I don't have much money and wanted to know what the best first boat is for a wanna be world cruiser who also wants to live aboard full time.

I'd like to narrow down my search to 3 or 4 boats in the 50keuro range and I want to find the boat in the Med. Also, what do I need to know about buying a boat in the EU when I'm not an EU citizen? Any help in this regard would be hugely appreciated. Also, where is the best place to shop for used boats?
UAEguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:05   #2
vjm

Re: New here and wanting to find a good first boat.

Do you have any sailing experience? If not, take some lessons and go sailing as much as you can on a variety of boats. There is no such thing as a "bluewater boat", only boats that people have used for extensive travel. The qualities and build of these boats various enormously. Some emphasize one thing and some another. So it depends on what you discover your wants, needs, likes, and dislikes are. I would recommend lessons and then an inexpensive boat to practice as much as possible. Once you do that and have some experience, you won't really have to ask what to get- your experience will let you evaluate each boat for suitability for YOU.

First find out if you even enjoy sailing, then if you enjoy overnighting, then if you enjoy long passages (you can always crew for someone if your boat is inappropriate for this). Then you will know what kind of sailor you are in the real world. It's an awesome sport, so welcome!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Once you do that and have some experience, you won't really have to ask what to get- your experience will let you evaluate each boat for suitability for YOU.
Yes, I have been doing a lot of sailing, but all the boats here are very expensive and nothing that I could ever afford. I need some guidance as to what makes sense to go hunting for in my price range. Again, any help would be appreciated.
Old 21-06-2016, 11:25   #4
vjm

So what is your list of "must haves"? What's your list of "deal breakers"? There are so many boats in that price range you have to narrow it down some. Also, is the 50k euro just for purchase, or is that purchase and refit budget?
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Is 50k euro just for purchase, or is that purchase and refit budget?
50k is all I have...or will have.

I want something that is comfortable for two people, safe, outfitted for cruising if possible. From what I've seen, 35 to 45ft is a nice size, any smaller becomes too cramped.
Old 22-06-2016, 08:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi UAEguy,

Let me first qualify what I will say by admitting that sometimes people find a special deal and get a great boat for a cheap, cheap price. It could happen to you but you also might win the lottery and $1,000,000 prize. The point being, the odds of getting a super cheap deal on a really good boat are very, very small.

For €50,000 it would be very, very lucky to find a good quality 40-45' boat in good condition and with good equipment for cruising. 35' or so, maybe.

You should be prepared to find a boat that needs work and be prepared to do the work yourself.

Also, have you considered the work and cost to maintain the boat? Buying the boat is just the beginning. What are your skills? If you have to pay a professional to do the repairs and maintenance you could easily spend more than the cost of the boat in repair costs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:21   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

There are several boats at this price range for sale in the Med
I can help you Identify your boat since I have recently searched for myself
40-50 feet in ready to sail condition and insurable
Expect 20+ years old though
If you seriously interested contact me via a private message
Do not attempt to buy a boat of that age without seeing her
For you the boat will be tax free
Cheers
PS I am not a broker
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote