Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2013, 08:53   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions

I have "hot-rodded" my four burner Force 10 into an eye level oven with lower burner assembly. In the process I removed the exterior stainless sheets to access the fiberglass batting within. I will be replacing the batting with a ceramic fiberboard used in kilns called Fiberfrax (Fiberfrax Refractory Ceramic Fiber - Fiberfrax High Temperature Insulation). I did this because, on my trimaran, the stove sits atop the underwing allowing any gas leakage to drain overboard through "snorkle valves". Previous stoves were from recreational vehicles, specifically the Magic Chef, but these are no longer manufactured, and being made of steel, rust out after a few years of boiling salt water. At the moment, it's all disassembled in the shop, but I'll send pics when the Fiberfrax arrives and I can button it up.

Old 15-06-2013, 09:03   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions

My only experiences are with gas stoves, CNG, and propane. Our first propane , was an Eno, two burner with an oven. It had no thermostat, but it did have a large circular burner in the bottom of the oven, and settings of low, medium, and high. It baked countless loaves of bread and pastries for us, as well as roasts, and required little minding. If I were in the market for a new stove, I'd certainly consider Eno. Incidentally, we found parts for our at-the-time over 20 yr. old Eno in New Caledonia. Parts availability matters.

Our present stove is a Mariner four burner. It does not, and in our ownership of the boat, never has worked properly. Its burner is at the "back" of the oven and definitely creates a hot spot. I use a 14"x14" ceramic tile about 3/8 " thick for a "stone", and that helps. But for temperature, I watch the oven thermometer like a hawk, and my drill is to check the temp every 10 min., and adjust the heat accordingly. I'm not brave enough to try a souffle with it, but with watching, and fuming (me) it has baked a lot, with only a few signs of uneven heating in the finished product. Mariner are out of business, but if I were going to be in the market for a new one, I'd do as has the OP. There must be a decent propane marine stove out there. I hope to hear about it here!

Ann

Old 15-06-2013, 10:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: New galley Oven/Stove Suggestions

Well I have to be different. My 41 year old sailboat came with a 41 year old trav'ler RV range with porcelain coated steel. Looks like the original owner / builder (mine was a kit boat) modified it by installing a oven door latch, side fiddle arms and gimbols.

After 7 years of daily use by me including heating salt water for dish washing, the original porcelain cast iron burners tops (the parts the pots sit on) are starting to rust, but the cook top is not yet rusting except for two tiny slits on the edge of front burner hole.

Oh its not perfect but the oven temperature does work fine for baking. OK I had to adjust the thermostat adjustment screws on the oven gas valve when I first got the boat

A RV 3 burner range is only about $500-600 ish. At that price I can replace it every 8 to 10 years or longer with a new one and still be less expensive then a marine unit.
Old 15-06-2013, 13:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I've often thought of converting to propane but my Seaward electric works fine. Hardly ever use the oven as I have a toaster oven that will bake anything I make, it does get used everyday for anything from toast to meatloaf or broiled chicken parts. I have been thinking of a Cobb grill or a propane grill but have not really missed not having one since the old magma shot craps.
Old 15-06-2013, 14:52   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

We love our SMEV. It's been great for 5 years. Hard to find in the states now but worth the hunt.
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:17   #21

Boat: Still building

Here's an option:

Companion Portable LPG Oven & Cooktop | Snowys Outdoors
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17   #22

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Im thinking of replacing my old Shipmate with a nice new Dickinson Mediterranean .

Would love to hear anybodies experiences with the units.

Regards
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46   #23

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43

We got a very nice Force 10 propane stove and use it quite a bit, it works really well. Bought it while shopping through the scratch and dent section of West Marine. it had been dropped on a corner, bending the frame in the back. It's in the back and the only way you can see it is if you crawl under it in the galley so it looks pristine once mounted. Got it for 50% off so my suggestion is, if you can wait it out, to go through that scratch and dent section often and see what may turn up there. Took about 8 months for this gold nugget to fall into our laps but it was certainly worth the wait.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:50   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well I have to be different. My 41 year old sailboat came with a 41 year old trav'ler RV range with porcelain coated steel. Looks like the original owner / builder (mine was a kit boat) modified it by installing a oven door latch, side fiddle arms and gimbols.

After 7 years of daily use by me including heating salt water for dish washing, the original porcelain cast iron burners tops (the parts the pots sit on) are starting to rust, but the cook top is not yet rusting except for two tiny slits on the edge of front burner hole.

Oh its not perfect but the oven temperature does work fine for baking. OK I had to adjust the thermostat adjustment screws on the oven gas valve when I first got the boat

A RV 3 burner range is only about $500-600 ish. At that price I can replace it every 8 to 10 years or longer with a new one and still be less expensive then a marine unit.
Yep, even my 44 footer came with a Magic Chef!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:45   #25

I discovered some corrosion on the propane feed header and burners on my 20 plus year old Hillerange Seaward Stove. After looking at the cost to refurbish the stove. I did an experiment last year cooking with just a single burner Coleman burner and discovered I did not miss cooking on the stove or the cost refurbish it. So this spring I partially dismantled it: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: RETHINKING PROPANE USE ON BOARD: Dismantling the Hillerange Stove Part Two
Since the stove was already nicely gimbled I decided to use as much of it as I could for my new cooking arrangement. I also took out the oven burner (only used the oven twice in 20 years anyway) and now can store all my pots I use inside the oven cavity. Will probably buy a small toaster oven at some point. Also having a Honda 2000 generator on board and a 10 kw battery bank opens up a lot of possibilities.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Assuming you have a generator onboard or shore power hook up, nothing beats the NuWave oven. We now cook 90% of the time on a Nuwave cooktop and/or the Nuwave oven mini. Cost: about $100 each, sold everywhere. Induction cooktop and infrared oven.
Old 17-05-2014, 21:06   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I've found that not having propane onboard saves me over $100.00 a year on my insurance premium. I can use that to buy diesel for my generator. :-)
Old 22-08-2014, 17:55   #28

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement for my ENO 3 burner cooktop and oven which are pretty tired now.
I'm not keen on the ENO and would like to find something a bit better.
The Force 10 look a lot better even though they are the same company but they only come as a combined assy and I have read that people are having problems with the gas lines and regulators so it would appear that they are having some quality issues.
So can anyone suggest a quality alternative LPG brand preferably with a separate 3 burner cook top and oven?
It's for a cat so gimbals are not required.

thanks

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: