Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-02-2016, 12:20   #1

Boat: Swan 432
New Bern NC, Salt or Fresh Water?

Looking for a year round liveaboard marina in North Carolina. Came across a nice marina in New Bern called the Grand. Is the water here fresh or salt? I am asking because it seems to be quite a ways upriver and not sure if freshwater zincs would be required.

Old 17-02-2016, 12:25   #2

Re: New Bern NC, Salt or Fresh Water?

Glad you found something you may like. Since you "found" them, if they have a website and contact, can't you ask them?

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 13:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

New Bern's a cool little town. Water there is brackish.
Old 18-02-2016, 05:47   #4

Boat: Pearson 424

Check out the BridgePointe marina, just across the river from the Grand. I spent 3 months there this fall and thought it was a great place, new docks, nice lounge/bathrooms and great price(I'm 42' and they gave me a 50' slip for $260/month). Several liveaboards had recently relocated to the BridgePoint from the Grand because they liked it better.
And yes the water is brackish so you'll want zincs.
Old 18-02-2016, 06:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Aluminum indium is the recommended anode material for brackish water.
Old 18-02-2016, 06:33   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

If you end up there, be sure to search out a place called "Brewery 99". Very cool little joint...
Old 18-02-2016, 08:43   #7

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

I have kept my boat there when not cruising for the last 2 years and you will want zinks and be prepared to clean the bottom every month April through November. It is brackish contributed to by wind tide even though it is 20 miles up river. You will love the location of the Grand right next to downtown where something is always going on. The boaters meet every Tuesday at the bar in the DoubleTree hotel where we are treated royally. I don't even keep a car there, I just rent one about once a month to do shopping and maybe a little sight seeing. Other than that it is walking, dinghy or a bike. They call me the dinghy lady!
Old 18-02-2016, 08:44   #8
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

One question please.
If you winter over that far North for a few months, do you need to winterize the engine or fresh water systems?
North Carolina gets pretty cold at times. The marina rates do look very attractive though!

mnh
Old 18-02-2016, 08:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsearite View Post
I have kept my boat there when not cruising for the last 2 years and you will want zinks and be prepared to clean the bottom every month April through November. It is brackish contributed to by wind tide even though it is 20 miles up river. You will love the location of the Grand right next to downtown where something is always going on. The boaters meet every Tuesday at the bar in the DoubleTree hotel where we are treated royally. I don't even keep a car there, I just rent one about once a month to do shopping and maybe a little sight seeing. Other than that it is walking, dinghy or a bike. They call me the dinghy lady!
Do you literally mean "zincs" or do you mean anodes ?
Zinc has little effect in brackish water. Aluminum and magnesium are much more galvanically active with aluminum being preferred for brackish and magnesium for fresh water.
Old 18-02-2016, 08:57   #10

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

It isn't as bad as you think with only a few nights of really cold. I don't winterize and I'm not always there but boat friend will go turn heat on if he thinks it will be low temps for a few days. The full time live aboard just keep regular heat going for their comfort and that takes care of the boat. Report is only one boat has ever had an engine to freeze, years ago. I have had boats in Tennessee and winterized all because temps will stay below at night and close to freezing during day for days on end.....that's trouble!
Old 18-02-2016, 08:57   #11

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I am further down river from there and never have to winterize. I watch the temps to see if you have consecutive days of below freezing, then maybe put a small safe heater in the boat if a long cold spell is predicted. I have power at the dock. The river never freezes. I sail year round.
Old 18-02-2016, 08:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnh View Post
One question please.
If you winter over that far North for a few months, do you need to winterize the engine or fresh water systems?
North Carolina gets pretty cold at times. The marina rates do look very attractive though!

mnh
Yes North Carolina gets hard freezes. They have had hard freezes in Northern Florida. A hard freeze can do a lot of damage to a boat. Use the internet to find record lows.
I would also recommend zincs on any boat, fresh water or salt. By the way, I once saw snow on the ground in Clearwater Florida.
Old 19-02-2016, 06:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Check out North West Creek Marina. Great facilities, great staff and great boat owners.
Old 19-02-2016, 07:03   #14

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I'm about 100 mi west of New Bern. We had 18 a few days ago. But, the temperature has risen to above freezing every day this winter except maybe for two or three. January normal high is 42.
Old 19-02-2016, 07:42   #15

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
Check out North West Creek Marina. Great facilities, great staff and great boat owners.
+1
We compared our rate this morning and once you factor the electric pedestal charge, we are paying about the same as BridgePointe.

You might also check Pecan Grove in Oriental as they keep sending me offers for slips but they do not have any cat slips.

We drained out water lines and added rum or vodka, forgot which, for the winter, will go back to water this WE. I did not add antifreeze to the engine exhaust this year.

Tags
salt, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: