Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 13:09   #1

Need to learn, need a boat, let's get started

Hi all (hope I'm in the write forum, if not let me know),

After spending the last 10 years travelling half the world by motorbike it’s time to look at sailing it (although first boat doesn't need to be Blue Water).

So where to start? I have been reviewing a lot of forums on here the last weeks and thought maybe I could have more focus if I asked for directions.

I am a 40 year old, reasonably fit with 8 sailing race experience as weight and various touches of rope and hauling of sails in NZ. My girlfriend is 35, fit with strong abilities cooking and in nutrition, but no experience in sailing. We are looking to primarily live on a boat with the odd move to nearby ports in the Caribbean and around the Northern coast of South America and with more experience venture to the Galapagos Islands. But really are open to anywhere in the world that boast lower cost living.
At the moment we live in Argentina Dec to May and 6 months or more in Calgary, Canada during their summer so I can work (I'm Canadian, but Calgary means there is very little sailing culture).
Recommendations please…
Gaining experience:
I think an intro course would be good. I have found no requirements about licenses in the Caribbean or South America, but not sure about this. Cheapest way to do courses?
Working or sailing with others on a boat is definitely an option as the both of us have very flexible schedules. Any recommendations on where in the world it’s easy to find these opportunities?
Boat:
Links and recommendations of boats between 30’ and 40’ for $50,000 USD would be great. We would love a Catamaran for the extra space, and can push the budget to $100,000. I would be adventurous enough to buy a boat anywhere in the Americans and take it to a destination of our choice after living in that place long enough to get the confidence to handle her.
Thanks to all for making these forums great and I look forward to hearing some responses.
Brad
bacougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need to learn, need a boat, let's get started

Hi.. Welcome to CF!!
There's a few bike oriented sailors here so you should kinda fit in..
Browse the crew wanted pages.. maybe post one in the available section..
Regarding course's.. not sure about that side of the world though I'd imagine there's RYA/ASA course's going in the islands

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Need to learn, need a boat, let's get started

You should contact Jackdale on this forum.

He's a very experienced sailor and instructor and hails from Calgary. He can advise on the "sailing culture" and the best places to do courses from there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need to learn, need a boat, let's get started

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You should contact Jackdale on this forum.

He's a very experienced sailor and instructor and hails from Calgary. He can advise on the "sailing culture" and the best places to do courses from there.
A+1... forgot about Jackdale.. gud un Stu..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 14:50   #5

Boat: Sceptre 36

If interested in schools in Canada, go to the Sail Canada website and search for accredited schools in the area of your choice.

Sail Canada

There are a couple in Calgary that can deliver anything you need or want.

ghost lake sailing
Pacific Karma Sailing

among others
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:08   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The CF poster "cwyckham" is also a sailing instructor.

Steady Hand started a $30,000 boats thread, and it is around CF somewhere", and you could probably find it with a CF Google Custom Search. There are some photos and some discussion. If $50,000 is your top, folks are saying you should plan on at least 15K more for "upgrades." I am absolutely certain that it will of course vary boat to boat, and customer to customer, but as something to keep in mind, there will be unexpected as well as expected expenses.

Ann
Old 13-02-2016, 15:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The CF poster "cwyckham" is also a sailing instructor.
Yep, another Canuck, but I don't think he is based in Calgary (Vancouver?)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:34   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Have you seen the MondayNever videos: https://youtu.be/Oaal0frjKv4

You asked about boats, so I suggest a CS36 traditional with shoal draft keel:
Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales
Its well within your price range, is well built and well reviewed.

A Pearson 35 would also meet your needs and budget: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cate...ype/Pearson/35
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:02   #9

Hi there
Dave Layton of Wildrose Sailing School in Calgary. He offers all the CYA sailing courses...Basic cruising to Advanced. Also Coastal Navigation. I have taken most of his courses and now feel confident enough as we are bareboat chartering our first trip to the BVI's in April. I highly recommend his courses. I might add that he is one of the guys who pioneered CYA courses.
Flyingsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:14   #10

Calgary, Eh? Not the best place to learn to sail, but, hey, Vancouver and Georgia Straits is only just over the hill.

Coupla excellent proprietary sailing schools in Vancouver wiil take you out on a seven day "croose'n'learn", and when you come back you'll be, if not competent, then at least certificated. "Small Craft Operator"'s card, "Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime)" for your VHF and, if I were your skipper/instructor, a whole lot of pilotage and chartwork under your belt. You'll be able to rent boats if that be your pleasure, and you'll have at least an inkling about what to look for if you want to buy.

But don't get carried away buying. For the five grand a year moorage for a 27- footer will cost you, you can rent for a whole lotta days!

If you do get carried away, then be mindful that an excellent little crooser in the 27 foot range, which is good to start on, you can pick up in Vancouver for the price of a coupla cases of good wine. Good little boats lie about the marinas just crying for new owners cos they don't move from one year to the next.

If you want to explore further, shoot me a PM

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:55   #11

Actually the theory is done in a classroom of course in Calgary...doesn't really matter where you learn. It would just be convenient close to home. Then you would go out to the coast near Sydney where Dave has his 35ft. Yamaha for the Intermediate or Advanced. The basic is done on a local lake which in my opinion is a great place to start because you can not use a motor so it forces you to learn some advanced sailing skills so you're able to maneuver her safely without damage. Once you complete each course you are CYA CERTIFIED. You can also get your radio license and PCOC. You can also charter at a number of different places locally to save the big expense of owning right away. I have spoke to a number of people and they all have said it's a lot scarier sailing on a lake in Alberta because of the unpredictable variable winds especially just before a thunderstorm is about to kick up, than the very predictable west coast prevailing winds.
Flyingsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 11:10   #12

Thanks, that cs 36 looked pretty good. Already sold!
bacougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 12:09   #13

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

- snip -

But don't get carried away buying. For the five grand a year moorage for a 27- footer will cost you, you can rent for a whole lotta days!

- snip -
Maybe going off topic here - but where do I find a "whole lotta" days for $5k? We're planning three separate rental weeks this summer, sharing with groups according to the size of the boat, and it inevitably comes to a bit over $2k CAN per week for a couple. (Lake Champlain & Lake Huron)

It's a serious question, because I know we're going to the kind of place that has shiny new boats with all the mod cons, and am wondering if there are alternatives where I can rent a good, but less equipped, boat for less money.
Old 14-02-2016, 13:17   #14

At Anglais @ 13

Granville Island (Vancouver) is full of charter clubs. Jericho Beach is teeming with dinghies. Unfortunately EVERYBODY has "gone up-scale", so perhaps I was being a touch hyperbolic.

My fundamental point stands, however: Minimum entry-cost for people "from away" is $10K — 5K for the boat plus 5K for moorage with no guarantee of being able to get out gracefully.

I'll admit that rates ain't wot they usta be. But contact the various sailing clubs in Vancouver, and I'm sure you'll find something. There are also "co-operatives"
(rather like "condo-shares") that offer cheaper ways in than owning is. I don't stay a jour with those kinds of arrangements any more since I own, and since having been too far from the briney for too many years I let my paper qualifications as an instructor lapse. but I'll be glad to lend a hand if you PM me.

Straits of Georgia is a WONDERFUL place to learn to sail and to cruise. Found myself with a "croose'n'learn" crew many years ago that came here from the Bahamas to learn to sail. I must say that that puzzled me, but they appreciated these waters and the instruction enuff that when they got home they sent me a "commemorative T-shirt" Still have it these forty years later :-)

@Flyingsailer #11

I agree. The classroom stuff you can do in the winter in some sordid high school classroom - even in Calgary :-) Canadian Power Squadrons do a very creditable job of it. But doing it that way really doesn't have the cachet of doing it where you'll be using it. Learning sail trim off the printed page is possible, but hardly ideal ;-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:25   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Hello and it sounds like you will have a lot of fun in the next few years. There are many different ways to go about this. One way is to find a boat that is relatively inexpensive but solid. This will allow you do discover what you like and don't like, and if the boat is worth keeping, then you'll have a good budget to upgrade as you desire. If it isn't the boat you really want, then you can sell her and shop for one you want based upon your experiences.

If you go about it this way, here in the northeast of the U.S., boat prices tend to drop quite a bit at the end of the winter and end of the summer sailing season. People become more desperate to get rid of the boat they are trying to sell and avoid another season of storage, dock fees, etc. You can often save thousands of dollars even on an inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) boat. Sometimes, if you are not in a hurry, you can find some really good deals.

Again, this is one of many ways to find what you will be happy with. I wish you good luck with whatever you end up doing.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote