Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41   #61

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
We'll no one mentioned the Panhandle area. I'm partial to St. George's Island, Panama City and Ft Walton Beach area.

Compared to Orlando, where I once lived, the Panhandle is a dream. There is less traffic, fewer tourists, and as a result, MUCH less crime. The prices are more moderate as well and the people are much more friendly there.

The closer you get to Tallahassee, the less of an impact hurricanes have due to their rotation. The last hurricane to hit near there was Kate (cat II) that hit Jt. Joe in 1985, most of the damage was from flooding. Lighting is not as big of a problem there as it is in the Tampa/Orlando area.

The weather can get cold there in the winter, you'll usually see a week or so of tempertures dropping into the mid 20's, but usually the temperatuire warms up to the 50's or 60's during the day. It will get hot and humid in the summer, but nothing comapred to Orlando, Tampa and Miami.

If you like to fish, the fishing around there is great.

Boat slips in PC are is as little as $200/mo for a 40ft boat. There are several anchorages along the coast. You must be mindful of the depth of the water, there are a lot of sandbars. If you are interested, you can get a lot of information from Activecapitain.com (of whom I have no affiliation with, personal gain, etc)

Anyone from the Nature Coast have an input?

Shhhhhh - Don't tell everybody about our secrets. We love the quiet, layed back panhandle.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Hi,

I've spent several months all told on a mooring at Dinner Key. There are anchorage areas to either side of the official mooring field that you can use for free. These areas are quite shallow though mostly, so it depends on your boat. And you don't get the free pump-outs or the water taxi service. Also I don't know where those at anchor leave their dinghies when ashore. But I'm sure there's somewhere, 'cause there's lots of folks anchored.

Margo
Hi Margo
I am presently anchored out between the two channels. very shallow.
I dock the dinghy at the waterside restaurant - usually 4 or 5 there.
Have been to West Marine, Walgreen's and Home Depot are nearby too. Nice and tranquil place.
National sailing teams training around me. Cigarette Boats, mega yachts, and little ol' things too.
Mooring balls sound good with all the associated services.
Will check them out...
thanks
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 13:22   #63

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail
Active Captain

{If you are interested, you can get a lot of information from Activecapitain.com (of whom I have no affiliation with, personal gain, etc)}

I believe it's ActiveCaptain -
www.activecaptain.com

Seems like an interesting site that I didn't know about!

Thanks!!
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 14:24   #64

Boat: Ericson 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02buster View Post
Stay away from South Florida. The crime is crazy, people get murdered on a weekly basis. I lived there on a sailboat for 2 years then got the hell out. I'm from Denver suburbs where its nice and safe. Also don't expect to hear anyone speaking English. South Florida is a forging country. Have you seen the bumper sticker that says " will the last American to leave Miami bring the American flag" Ft Lauderdale is a little better but not much.
Depending on where your from this will either shock you and make you run away or it will be nothing new. Living there is different than going there on vacation.
I lived in Miami for work a few years ago and yes people get shot every weekend there. However the gangs fighting in Little Hati and Little Havana stay there and kill other gangbangers, the sharks I saw diving worried me more. WHEREVER you go except for whitewashed suburbs there are real life problems and poverty is one of them. That bumper sticker that you like shows why you should stay in the "safe suburbs" with your closed mind.
Elsakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 20:53   #65

Boat: Downeaster 38
My previous post praised the boating resources available to Fort Lauderdale boaters. But, did I mention the weather?

I was just reading the news which says yet another winter storm hits the midwest and northeast. "4' drifts of snow in Tulsa, 1300 flights canceled in Chicago, 900 flights canceled in Dallas, 1100 flights canceled in New York." This has been going on for two months!

But I'm sitting here at 11 pm in flip-flops, shorts and tee-shirt in 70 degree weather in Fort Lauderdale and loving it. I will probably sleep with the windows open tonight and tomorrow the forecast is for 79 degrees with 10-15 knots of wind. Maybe I will go for a day-sail tomorrow?

So, if you are going to live aboard anywhere, what is your second choice to Florida?
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
Cool! Anywhere near Palatka? I lived in Gainesville for a short while and would drive over to the St. Johns river, to Palatka and Green Cove Springs. A couple of nice marinas in that area that allow liveaboards.
My mast height no longer allows me south of Green Cove Springs, but Orange Park and all the wide St. Johns between Jax and Green Cove has been our home port for over 35 years. There are quite a few easy and reasonably priced live aboard opportunities there.

Tags
florida