Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 14:50   #1

Boat: 2003 Nordic Tug 32+
Need Help on Islander Bahama 30, 1981

Just looked at a 1981 Islander bahama 30 to buy. selling for $18,500 any thoughts on price and make and model? The boat looked clean and it's been about 5 years since bottom paint.
gmcairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 17:03   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
That is really subjective. What is the condition overall? Has he motor been replaced. If you have any photos that may help. A friend of mine sold one for $6000 last fall. If this boat has a new motor that may be worth a markup. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Re: Need help on Islander bahama 30, 1981

seems to me you could do better if you are going to spend that kind of money, it is a buyers market, has been for several years and will continue to be. Monohulls are all over the place, cheap. Here is a good website to compare monohull specifications and their resulting expected sailing performance and stability

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37   #4

Boat: Islander, Bahama, 30'
Got an 1984 Islander Bahamas that I bought 3 years ago. Love the boat but had to fix a lot due to neglectful owners. Had overheating problem but took apart and cleaned some of the cooling sections of engine, replaced thermostat, and removed head to get at a couple of small holes that circulate water that were plugged with age. Now it's a reliable and fun boat to sail!
SV Scooter AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: Need help on Islander bahama 30, 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
seems to me you could do better if you are going to spend that kind of money, it is a buyers market, has been for several years and will continue to be. Monohulls are all over the place, cheap. Here is a good website to compare monohull specifications and their resulting expected sailing performance and stability

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

I reread this and I realize this could sound like I was knocking the Bahama 30, which I like. My intention was to say that I think you are paying too much for that boat that you mention, although having a link or photos would be helpful and my comment was meant to say if you have that kind of cash resource, either pay less for that particular boat and use the remaining amount for improvements or upgrades, or pay that much for a boat that is better equipped, better shape, perhaps larger, just depends.

Pat
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05   #6

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Need Help on Islander Bahama 30, 1981

It's impossible to say how much the boat is worth (or not worth) without knowing it's condition and contents.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

NADA Guide - Boat Prices for buying and selling a boat the 1981 Bahama 30 is in the NADA Guides, you would need to complete the description of the boats features to get the results of what they think the boat is worth. I say the market is a buyers market, has been for several years, will be for a couple more, if you are not going new or semi-new there are deals for good boats everywhere.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
NADA Guide - Boat Prices for buying and selling a boat the 1981 Bahama 30 is in the NADA Guides, you would need to complete the description of the boats features to get the results of what they think the boat is worth. I say the market is a buyers market, has been for several years, will be for a couple more, if you are not going new or semi-new there are deals for good boats everywhere.
I agree it's a buyers market. There's probably quite a few I30's out there. But the question is condition and contents.

In my experience with the Tartan 30; there are some very cheap ones for around $5k, there's the average price around $10-12K and there's the really good ones that are going for close to $20k. The good ones have new(ish) diesel motors, hauled out every year, well maintained, new rigging, new paint, new sails, electronics, self steering, etc.. etc.. The cheap ones are usually just as solid as the nice ones, but they lack all the extras and upgrades.

So until we know what the condition and contents of the boat is, it's impossible to judge it's value.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I agree it's a buyers market. There's probably quite a few I30's out there. But the question is condition and contents.
So until we know what the condition and contents of the boat is, it's impossible to judge it's value.
I think you'll find the NADA Guide covers such information and will only give you there best guess after completing an inventory
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24   #10

Not trying to argue here... but Based on the NADA guide I should list my boat for $29k. The NADA guides are useless when it comes to used sailboats. There's is no way for them to list or measure the options, condition (other than cosmetic), and associated gear. They don't know the difference between a $500 autopilot and a $3000 autopilot, a $100 alcohol stove, and a $2000 propane stove, etc.. etc..

The only value a sailboat has is however much a person is willing to pay for it. One person might want to pay $20k for my boat (i'd like to find that person!), but another person wouldn't pay $5k for it.
It's a perceived value market.

The Islander 30 is a good boat. It could very well be worth $18k if it has all the right gear and upgrades. But again, WE won't know that until we know what's up with it.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:53   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well all I know is theres a 32 ft french vessel listed on here at 19,000 OBO thats a honey !! if it was 8 or 10 ft longer I buy it in a flash !! I have nothing to do with this vessel I only saw it on here ! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:58   #12

Boat: 2003 Nordic Tug 32+

Here is the url Cameron's Cove Yacht Sales (Benicia, CA)&

Thanks for the help. Looked at a couple more boats today and would have bought a 30 foot Watkins Sea Wolf but it has a deposit on it already.
gmcairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:21   #13

Looks nice. Clean, well kept, fairly well equipped. It's a broker listing so the price is jacked up a bit by default. If you were pursue it, don't be afraid to start with a low offer.
Old 11-02-2012, 15:38   #14

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcairns View Post
Here is the url Cameron's Cove Yacht Sales (Benicia, CA)&

Thanks for the help. Looked at a couple more boats today and would have bought a 30 foot Watkins Sea Wolf but it has a deposit on it already.
That is a nice boat! But….I think you can get more boat for the money these days. Or the same boat for less money. They do hold their value well. Happy boat hunting. If it don't make your heart go pitter patter keep on looking.
neilsailingrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:03   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

After looking at this boat I say again, look at the french 32 for sale on this site !! much better deal and nicer boat !! just my 2 cents ! Bob and Connie !! PS it's not in france LOL
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote