Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 08:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Need advice on San Francisco bay

Im taking a 3-4 yr contract in San fran and would like to buy and liveaboard a sailboat in the area. I will be commuting back and forth to Toronto a couple times a month. Im looking for advice on marinas or clubs, a broker to help me buy a boat etc. My wife says I cant sell it all and start my cruising life but I can start getting ready for it. Im not looking to liveaboard because its a cheap way of life, im looking for the experience.
cheers
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 08:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
re: Need advice on San Francisco bay

If your taking a job in the City, then coyote point marine, might be your best bet. It will save you the fun that is the bay bridge every day. But if you like to suffer, marina bay in Richmond generally has liveaboards and the liveaboard fee is $100 less then Coyote point.

Mind you the baybridge tolls would eat that in 1/2 month. Anywhere else probably has a long waiting list on liveaboard. For boats, look at latitude 38 magazine, free and on line too. Boats for sale in the back are not too pricy
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 08:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

re: Need advice on San Francisco bay

Good luck!

The East Bay is warmer and has more sun during the summer.

Consider your commute times, as traffic can be heavy and slow. I used to live in SF and at one time worked at an office in Oakland and it would usually take a hour to get home.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Need advice on San fran bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
If your taking a job in the City, then coyote point marine, might be your best bet. It will save you the fun that is the bay bridge every day. But if you like to suffer, marina bay in Richmond generally has liveaboards and the liveaboard fee is $100 less then Coyote point.

Mind you the baybridge tolls would eat that in 1/2 month. Anywhere else probably has a long waiting list on liveaboard. For boats, look at latitude 38 magazine, free and on line too. Boats for sale in the back are not too pricy
I have the idea that I might one day get my boat to the west side and spend some time in the city so looked at the web site for Coyote Point. Says "Tenants are welcome to spend up to 3 nights per week aboard. Liveaboards are not allowed at the Coyote Point Marina." Guess the current, "official policy" is no liveaboards but maybe like a lot of marinas in the Bay Area there's a bit of wink, wink, nod, nod going on?

Another question, in my admittedly very limited experience in SF I was there on a business trip years back. Don't know if this was normal or not but I found traffic from south side to the north side pretty bad. Midday it was about a three hour round trip from Palo Alto to the Presidio area and back. Could the Bay Bridge be worse than that?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need advice on San Francisco bay

Darn Blonde moments, I meant Oyster point marina. Their liveaboard fee is $350. Ouch. Marina bay was $200 last time I looked.

Traffic all around the bay can be a delightful daily experience. It can take an hour to cross the bay bridge at rush hour, plus all the waiting before and after. On a good day it's bad, On a bad day, you can't get there.

I will not work in the city. Way too much pain and suffering. East bay can be bad too but not quite as bad as getting to or from SF
Old 21-09-2014, 09:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My standard for if live aboard is allowed or not is if there are dish tv antenna's on the dock piles. No Dishes, no liveaboards. But you will never get a "we allow liveaboards", unless you and your boat show up in person. OK some don't allow liveaboards anyway. But no liveaboards does not always mean no liveaboards.
Old 21-09-2014, 09:46   #7

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

Rather than driving into the city (San Francisco), try to find a way to use BART (from the east bay) or CalTrain (from the peninsula) to commute to work. Saves driving and (especially) parking issues.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 09:51   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would take a ferry into the city. That would make Marin or Vallejo another choice. Loch Lomond marina could be a nice place to live.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 14:59   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

My standard for if live aboard is allowed or not is if there are dish tv antenna's on the dock piles. No Dishes, no liveaboards. But you will never get a "we allow liveaboards", unless you and your boat show up in person. OK some don't allow liveaboards anyway. But no liveaboards does not always mean no liveaboards.

Sailorchic thanks for the advice I owe you dinner I will be working on the tallest building in town down in the financial district. I travel in at 5am and out by 4 and im used to traffic as im currently in downtown Toronto.
Toronto will be a great city when they finish building it.
I live on my boat the summer and know one even knows im there boats are made to take off at a moments notice I don't want to be undoing shore connections when the zombie apocalypse hits.
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:04   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
Toronto will be a great city when they finish building it.
I remember when Ajax was a suburb.........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:31   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Lived aboard my Ingrid 38 for a few years back in the early eighties in a marina close to Sa n Rafael in Marin County. I've never lived in in a more repressive, unfriendly or stuck up neighborhood in my life and couldn't wait to get out of there!
The petty anti do gooders and generally nasty folks that lived shoreside had to be Experienced to be believed!
The entire Bay Area seemed to be filled with folks who forced their weird way of life on others through local laws and ordinances... definitely not the live and let live types!
San Francisco and the surrounding community would be the last place on earth I would ever move to unless I had no other choice.
I would chose to live in the Middle East before moving to the bay area! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 16:21   #12

Boat: Monk 36

Capt Phil - my oldest daughter lives in Sunnyvale. I share your opinion of SF. Now, if northern CA had split off from the weirdos in the state, I would have entertained living up there.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 18:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
Sailorchic thanks for the advice I owe you dinner I will be working on the tallest building in town down in the financial district. I travel in at 5am and out by 4 and im used to traffic as im currently in downtown Toronto.
5am the traffic will not be too bad, but afternoon rush hour starts at 3 pm and goes till 6:30 ish. Some days are not too bad, Others are Epic, but not in a good way.

The problem with SF bay is that big blue wet thing in the middle of everything. Only so many bridges going back and forth. Only thing worst is the weekends, when everyone is on the roads all day long.

The Bay is not everyone's cup of chai. Some Marin folks get a little up tight, too much money I'm thinking. But there are nice people there too.
Old 21-09-2014, 18:53   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1, dpddj sailorchic34, when I lived there, I found not only Marinites but the whole Bay Area screwed up beyond belief! Not sure whether it was the water or what but the area produces some of the most dysfunctional folks I've met anywhere in the world! That would include Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Australia, Japan, China and pretty much every corner of the world I've visited and lived in! I've heard from folks who live there now it is even worse than when I lived there in the eighties. You have my admiration for living there, sailor chic! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:45   #15

Boat: Cal 2-27

After a recent conversation with a new boater at a Marina Bay Yacht Harbor in Richmond, I was told that live aboard isn't approved unless the boat is 36' at a minimum. That didn't sound accurate to me, but the gentleman was adamant.

That being said, I do know that live aboard opportunities are available there.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote