Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 21:49   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Need advice on San Francisco bay

You might want to check out Westpoint Harbor in Redwood City.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:00   #17

Boat: Newport33

Just an FYI: it's less expensive to live on board in SF or Sausalito than anywhere else in the bay if you work in the City. Other marinas around the bay may be less, but when you factor in commute time, fuel, bridge tolls, mass transit fares, etc. it's a no brainier. Richardson Bay Marina in Sausalito accepts liveaboards at, I believe, $200.00 additional which is nothing when you add up the above mentioned considerations. Think the base cost is around $11.00 a foot, pretty much the going rate in the SF-Sausalito area.
SF Bay sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:15   #18

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Just went throu all that liveaboard issues in the bay a month or so ago.. Went to work at the new Flag Ship WM over in Marin.. for the cost of my 42 foot, a couple marinas in the Sausalito quoted me over 1200.00 per month.. many had a waiting list.. Loch Lomand said Yes but They only have 4 foot of water at the enterance..
We decided to stay in the delta and commute daily.. takes me about an hour and a half to get to work..
Odd thing, it also takes a friend the same time to travel from Alameda to Marin by way of the Richmond Bridge..
If your thinking power, you can get up in Navado, or pedaluma....
I do know a guy living on his boat over in the China Basin on a private dock..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:46   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
After a recent conversation with a new boater at a Marina Bay Yacht Harbor in Richmond, I was told that live aboard isn't approved unless the boat is 36' at a minimum. That didn't sound accurate to me, but the gentleman was adamant.

That being said, I do know that live aboard opportunities are available there.
Just checked marina bays liveaboard application that is online and it still lists 30 feet which is what it was when I was there. But then some harbormasters have selective memory about that depending on the potential tenant. Oddly I've yet to have a problem getting a slip anywhere.

Some marinas in the bay area do require 35'-36' and larger to liveaboard.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:48   #20

Boat: Freedom 38

Another option if your work place will be in San Francisco is Pillar Point Harbor. You can drive to Daly City and take Bart to the city. It's a nice place, but you would need a car.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 21:41   #21

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I was a liveaboard with my boat in Alameda for 12 years. When I worked in south San Jose the commute was 2 hours one way for 35 miles. When working at Stanford University the commute was 2.5 hours acrossed the Dumbarton bridge. When I worked in a building next to Candlestick the commute was 2+ hours for 19 miles acrossed the Bay Bridge. Wrecks occurred at least once a week could add an hour.
That was before 2001, and I don't think things have improved.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 22:01   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

If I was making big bucks in downtown SF (which they cannot pay me enough to do) I would probably hunt up a slip in Alameda and take the ferry in every day. That avoids messing with the bridges on the bay. Plus Alameda is a bit slower pace then the rest of the bay and slip prices will be lower too. Cheaper groceries and the best marine stores are there too. Lovely area.

I worked in Alameda and commuted to and from Marina Bay 13 miles, with no bridges to take and that took me 45 minutes, sometimes 1-1/2 hours. This on 4-6 lane highways. I left at 4 pm too.

With the bridges there are two types of traffic, rush hour where it's dead slow to stopped and non-rush hour where it is almost dead slow. Though at 2AM traffic generally moves right along. It is NEVER ever light traffic. Oddly the weekends are even worse.

On the plus side, the sailing is to die for, Mountains are just across the golden gate in Marin, and tons of things to see and do.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 17:14   #23

Boat: Santa Cruz 27

sailorchic34 is right, go with Alameda if commuting into the city. Don't think you would be able to even find a slip in the SF limits.....

And everyone is right, commuting in over the bridge or BART will eat up expenses quickly....if you care.

Sausalito would give you a good experience as you stated you are seeking.

East Bay or South Bay is warmer than the fog blasting through the slot daily...

Nonetheless, have fun with it.

GOTSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 17:24   #24

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I don't think it has been mentioned, but I suggest you look for a boat to buy that is already a liveaboard whose slip can be transferred to you.
Old 26-09-2014, 18:42   #25

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The only things stressful about taking the ferries are waiting to board and getting there in time for the embarkation. Otherwise, one relaxes on the ferry to read, imbibe, or rest. The high-speed Vallejo ferries are within a ten-minute walk of the marina and the SF ferry building is within minutes of the financial district. Traveling at 36-38 knots, the ferries make the journey within one hour.

Old 26-09-2014, 19:32   #26
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Looking at the same plan as a first stage to the cruising life, as my kid lives in sf. It'll be a return of sorts, as I lived in Santa Cruz for -25 years. I second sailor chicks thoughts, and eBay marinas seem more open in every sense. SF: supply and demand. The minimum length requirement is one I've heard mentioned, too, although in ref to Ventura area.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 20:07   #27

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Idyl,
Go for it. I also recommend Alameda, it's warm, great sailing, nice people. You can find berths there.

You asked for a broker. I've delt with Roger and Dinah Goodsell (from Cruising Yachts in Alameda 510. 521-1327) on several transactions. They are good people and knowledgeable. I'm sure there are many good brokers (and some bad ones), but these are good ones.

The ferrywould make an awesome commute.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:01   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To All who live in SF Bay Area:

It has been over 15 years since I last lived in SF. It was expensive then and probably even more expensive now.

Since part of the discussion has been on comparing the cost of a boat slip close to SF versus commuting costs from outside of SF to SF via car (over toll bridges) or via BART, I am curious about the costs for those commutes and also a comparison on what you might expect to pay for a moderate one bedroom apartment in SF versus other cities around the SF Bay.

Please give your opinion or comments on the following points regarding living expenses there:

1. What is the GG Bridge Toll? One way or is there a monthly toll pass for unlimited use per month?

2. Is there a Bay Bridge Toll? How much? Are the tolls paid both ways?

3. Cost for BART from Richmond to SF?

4. Cost to use ferry from Vallejo or Sausalito? Is there a monthly pass? How much assuming a daily commute to SF Financial District to work?

5. Typical monthly rent cost of moderate (not the most expensive, not the cheapest) one bedroom apartment in San Francisco? What about same type of apartment in other SF Bay Area cities (e.g. Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda, Richmond, etc.)?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:11   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
To All who live in SF Bay Area:

It has been over 15 years since I last lived in SF. It was expensive then and probably even more expensive now.

Since part of the discussion has been on comparing the cost of a boat slip close to SF versus commuting costs from outside of SF to SF via car (over toll bridges) or via BART, I am curious about the costs for those commutes and also a comparison on what you might expect to pay for a moderate one bedroom apartment in SF versus other cities around the SF Bay.

Please give your opinion or comments on the following points regarding living expenses there:

1. What is the GG Bridge Toll? One way or is there a monthly toll pass for unlimited use per month?

2. Is there a Bay Bridge Toll? How much? Are the tolls paid both ways?

3. Cost for BART from Richmond to SF?

4. Cost to use ferry from Vallejo or Sausalito? Is there a monthly pass? How much assuming a daily commute to SF Financial District to work?

5. Typical monthly rent cost of moderate (not the most expensive, not the cheapest) one bedroom apartment in San Francisco? What about same type of apartment in other SF Bay Area cities (e.g. Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda, Richmond, etc.)?
You could easily Google the answers to every one of those questions.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:17   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You could easily Google the answers to every one of those questions.
Yep. I coulda.

But then I thought that folks here who love to share info and opinions here would add to this topic and that the added content would make this site even more informative.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote