Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2011, 06:06   #16

Before we assume I am against searching threads, I want to make it clear that I do search for specific things when I have specific curiosities.
I am making this thread because it includes "parameters" specific to what I want. What I don't expect are posts that cover a wide range of scenarios. This is a rare thing, and with this expectation, I search assuming accordingly.

With that said, I've encountered some thorough posts by certain members that contradict my generalization.

I don't want to seem rude. I am new here, and because of my lack of knowledge, sometimes I'm not sure what to search for to get what I am looking for. Sometimes I think it's better for a human to understand me first. If my answer is in another thread, I am okay with being directed there, so there's no need to rewrite anything if you feel it's redundant.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:26   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Need Advice on Buying a Boat

This sounds like the old give a man a fish OR teach him to fish.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Sure, it's easier to learn the fundamentals of sailing on a small boat, but this can be done well with an eight foot dinghy. This would not be a large expense that prevents you from buying a liveaboard boat.
I was thinking the same thing. Or at least having some classes.

Quote:
A sound old boat can be purchased and refit for less than half the cost of new.
This is valuable information for me. It rules out any tendency to buy a newer boat, and focus on getting an older (cheaper) boat that has no major (costly) issues. Now, to figure out what those costly issues are...

Does anyone know what threads that specifically address boat repairs and their respective costs?
Old 21-07-2011, 06:49   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

You might check out the Morgan OutIsland 33. I happily liveaboard mine, 7 yrs now. Roomiest 33 out there, built for carribean waters, tough forgiving design. I run a canvas shop out of mine and have found storage adequate for tons of canvas tools and sundries required to do business. As for fishing, most of mine is done at the edge of the bluewater, nobodies business what I catch there. Nobody claims to own the ocean yet.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 07:03   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When shopping for an older boat there are a few essentials I would require, a few problems I would accept and some problems that I would favor.

Require: A design compatible with my cruiing style and comfort, a sound hull and hull shape, undamaged hull deck joint, keel bolts or preferred encapulated, rudder and mast structure

Accept: Some deck soft spots, shroud & swedge needs, portlight leaks, old and not functioning electronics, old or incomplete sail inventory

Favor: (only because these make the purchase price so low!)...an old non-working engine, ugly cosmetic presentation

I can expect DIY skills and ca$15,000 to take care of "accept and favor" on a small cruiser bought for about the same cost and end up with a 30K investment for a boat that would cost far more than twice that amount fresh and new. This plan is one that I have accomplished and seen others complete. I have also seen many fail at this because they do not have the skill, time, or money. It's not the choice for all, but it is a viable option for many.
Old 21-07-2011, 07:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
Does anyone know what threads that specifically address boat repairs and their respective costs?
There are hundreds of such threads. The problem is that none of them are going to be much use to you until you know more specifically what repairs to what systems on what boat.

As an example, you find a boat, but the engine isn't working. What will it cost to get a working engine into this boat? Might be anywhere from nothing at all (depending on your mechanical skills and what is wrong) up to $20,000 or even more. That doesn't really help, does it? Well, virtually every question about everything that could be wrong with an older boat will have essentially the same answer--anywhere from nothing at all up to tens of thousands of dollars.

Until you are considering a specific boat, and asking about a specific repair to a specific part, the answers really can't be any more specific.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There are hundreds of such threads. The problem is that none of them are going to be much use to you until you know more specifically what repairs to what systems on what boat.

As an example, you find a boat, but the engine isn't working. What will it cost to get a working engine into this boat? Might be anywhere from nothing at all (depending on your mechanical skills and what is wrong) up to $20,000 or even more. That doesn't really help, does it? Well, virtually every question about everything that could be wrong with an older boat will have essentially the same answer--anywhere from nothing at all up to tens of thousands of dollars.

Until you are considering a specific boat, and asking about a specific repair to a specific part, the answers really can't be any more specific.
Agree with this 100%. General questions can be answered generally. To get exact numbers, costs or optionss you need a specific question or boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:26   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I think Borcay provided an excellent list.

The part about the cost of green power is that wind generators, solar cells, batteries and the rest of the electrical system has a cost to create and maintain, especially when you are stuck in a small island country needing something.

I think as with buying a house, it's important when looking at boats to identify the things that are more curb appeal issues vs. not easy to see expensive costs.

A boat on the hard in need of a bottom paint that is all dirty may not look appealing, but paint and replacing all your running rigging is nothing compared to replacing the inboard.

An important thing for me for a boat I'll be spending any time on is standing headroom. That eliminates many of the older heavy boats in the 26-foot range, many of which have limited storage space as well.

I owned a Westerly Centaur for several years, but never cruised it for more than 3-months. While it's a bit smaller than I would personally prefer to live on for more than a few months, they sell at a price now, where they can be repowered and still in your budget and have a shallow draft which is great for the Bahamas. Some of the Morgan OIs, etc, may be similar.

When I spend more time on a boat, I find the ergonomics matter quite a bit more to me: Are the the bunks big enough and comfortable? Are they easy to get in and out of? Is there good airflow? Is there accessible storage, including for clothing? If you will have someone else on the boat, can you get past each other without having to do a whole song and dance? What about tankage? If your out there, you don't want to be limited by having to fill up with water every week.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:30   #24

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
This sounds like the old give a man a fish OR teach him to fish.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will never see him on weekends
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 20:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I think a specific boat will give me specific answers. Though what's useful to me as well is relative costs, for example: in general does it cost more to fix a cracked hull or torn sail.
Old 23-07-2011, 21:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
<snip>Some of the Morgan OIs, etc, may be similar.
Second time seeing this mentioned. What is your opinion of this boat?
Old 23-07-2011, 22:01   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Second time seeing this mentioned. What is your opinion of this boat?
They are generally well built as they were intended for the charter market which sees hard use. Since they were specifically intended for the Caribbean market, they all have pretty shallow draft. Room below tends to be very good as they are a bit wide for their length and the deck is raised. Starting at the 41' length they have center cockpits which allow an aft cabin but makes the main cabin much smaller and the cockpit wetter in heavy weather. The raised cabin also makes for a large flat deck which gives you more room for a hard dinghy and for deck work.

Sailing wise, they are a bit undercanvassed, with the hull shape skewed towards cabin volume, they don't point so well, and my experience with a 41OI indicates you will never surf.

At least 1 41OI has been RTW.

If you can accept the boat's sailing limitations in speed and pointing ability, and mediocre fuel economy, the other benefits are pretty good.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 22:09   #28

Thanks Adelie.
I will hold off my plans for Caribbean sailing. Actually, I knew me sailing anywhere would be postponed since my sailing is all theoretical at this point. My more immediate goals (after buying a boat) is to live aboard it. I guess I am saying that my decision will be heavily based on liveaboard lifestyle.
Old 23-07-2011, 22:55   #29

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Need Advice buying a boat

Quote:
All I know is that you've not been helpful
I have a theory about portly people I'll keep to myself
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:25   #30

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'
Smile Re: Need Advice on Buying a Boat

First let me say that I have not read all the replies posted so I may be repeating what has already been said.
You can, like most of us who found themselves with plenty of desire but little experience with sailboats, read everthing out there until you want to forget the whole thing, or more to the point get out on as many boats as possible & see what works for you. Every boat has things you'll like & lack others you wish it had. You are at least fortunate in the fact that right now there are more boats for sale than buyers. Here in Luperon, Dominican Republic alone there are no less than a dozen seaworthy monohulls for sale very resonanable. One word of advise. Do not think you can find a fixer-upper & come out ahead of the game. Replacement equipment, etc is quite expensive. However, also do not be fooled into paying a premium for existing components on a seemingly well equiped boat if more than a few years old.
We two have lived aboard at anchor from Florida to Trinidad very reasonably since 2003 aboard a 36' monohull.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying