Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 10:21   #31

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Need advice on boat buying in Florida

"If I were making the change from Alaska, my first choice would be San Diego. Very mild weather all year long and easy to get to the VA via public transportation. Inexpensive small liveaboard boats are not difficult to find and mooring balls available - and still some friendly liveaboard marinas."

(Sounds good, did they finalize the minimum length requirement for liveaboard in CA. Somewhere on CF, I recall reading 30'+. This would explain the large number of small liveaboards for sale. "Yes, you can use this as a small liveaboard, just not here.")

"All of Florida is still cruiser friendly, but they are cracking down and closing anchorages and putting in mooring fields."

(Yes, real estate interest trump the recreational boating poor.) 🙅

(Mooring fields: Translation "We are trying to protect the aquatic terrain.": Translation "Another tax, revenue stream for an already out of control government entity!")🙅

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 13:43   #32

I appreciate all the posts there's a lot there to consider.Some of the members have pm'd offering to help me in various ways if Im in there area,LOTS of GOOD PEOPLE HERE.
I'm moving down on June 15th and plan on starting in Tampa if things work out.
I have been looking at boats online and saw an O'day 272 in my price range,Im sure theres lots of them around.Iv only seen pics and specs but thats a great boat.I basically liked 90% the O'days models I found,does anyone know much about them?

I finally got a quote on boat insurance based on my old cal-27
$365.00 a year for 10k boat replacement/500 deductable,250.00 emergency service,2k medical,3k waste oil etc... 300k liability coverages.

I thought it was going to cost 2-3k per year,what a relief
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:04   #33

If you have trouble getting around... you need to find a boat that is totally ready. Just keep that in mind... the most time spent repairing/refitting a boat seems to be the "searching around " part! Good luck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:22   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
I appreciate all the posts there's a lot there to consider.Some of the members have pm'd offering to help me in various ways if Im in there area,LOTS of GOOD PEOPLE HERE.
I'm moving down on June 15th and plan on starting in Tampa if things work out.
I have been looking at boats online and saw an O'day 272 in my price range,Im sure theres lots of them around.Iv only seen pics and specs but thats a great boat.I basically liked 90% the O'days models I found,does anyone know much about them?

I finally got a quote on boat insurance based on my old cal-27
$365.00 a year for 10k boat replacement/500 deductable,250.00 emergency service,2k medical,3k waste oil etc... 300k liability coverages.

I thought it was going to cost 2-3k per year,what a relief
I'm sure it's true that there are some people offering to help you out. However, I personally would not accept any favors from anyone trying to sell me a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:27   #35

No disagreement there,lots of screwed up ppl around and Im sure there are some trolling here.The ones Im talking have nothing to gain except some good karma.
My view on boat shopping is the same as for a truck,I don't care if I has a 5 gallon bucket for a seat and the windows are held in place with duct tape provided it has a solid engine,tranny,and frame.Same principal with a boat
And I neither need or want a microwave,sat dish and all that crap.Id rather have a frig with a cooler plate and more storage space.You cant change the size of a boat but that dosent mean it cant be made comfortable.(mostly)
Old 18-05-2015, 15:07   #36

Boat: Scout 30

I did a craigslist search & came up with this. Pretty cool

TANENUI WHARRAM 2008, 30', YAMAHA, SLEEPS 4, PRICE TO SELL
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 15:15   #37

I posted some pics in the members gallery.The foreward hatch cover blew off so the bed sheet worked ok.The dingy wasnt to bad either,it only sank 3-4 times and cost me 2k in outboards.Not bad considering the ferry came by and 8-9 times a day as fast as it could get away with.
Old 28-05-2015, 08:16   #38

Wish I was in Florida.......Marathon would be nice.....already have a boat....waiting on the rivers to slow down...I'm headed up the ICW
cntrycuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, florida