Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:35   #1

NC Help Needed !

My wife and I currently live in MN. We are moving to NC due to a job promotion/shift. We are going to purchase a houseboat, 80-100' and are having some trouble finding info for marinas capable and accepting of liveaboards. We have time, and are not strangers to this lifestyle.
We are hoping someone here has experience in NC or resourses there. We will most likely be inland, not coastal, but coastal is a possibility, there are several locations for the job, location mostly detirmed at this point on where we will be able to live aboard.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Dealwithable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46   #2

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
NC living aboard

Hello,

I think that you'll find that NC is pretty friendly to live-aboards and that there are a lot of good options for you in that category. There is variety on the coast from slow and quite places to larger and busier places. You will need to be more specific about location to get more specific information though. I know that in the area where my boat is (Beaufort, NC) that there are lots of live-aboard options in a variety of towns, and nice marinas that are away from towns and in beautiful places. I think that boaters have a great selection in the area. Prices are usually really good too. Let us know more about the areas you are considering and what your preferences are (cheap, fancy, close to everything, away from everything) and hopefully you'll get more help.

Good luck and welcome to NC (whenever you get here)

Jonathan Poole
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:52   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I can't speak for inland, but at the coast there are a lot of marinas that accept liveaboards. The problem is that I don't know any that are set up to take an 80-100 ft boat.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:57   #4

We are having trouble with that! If you have any info on marinas that do accomidate liveaboards, this would be a great start! There is no option on the size, we need at least 80 foot, some marinas we have found have ability for that, but cant get info on the liveaboard part.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
The Grand Marina at the Hilton in New Bern might be able to accommodate a vessel that size. There's a very long dock near the entrance. It's also a nice location to keep a boat.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:04   #6

If coastal, anywhere within about 1.5 hours from Wilmington area, inland would be Clinton, Fort Brag area, Keenansville, Fayetville, and a few others Im not sure of yet, Like I said, location is pretty open.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:34   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
The town marina in "Little" Washington has long "T" heads, and accepts liveaboards. It is also a VERY quaint little town, not to far from Greenville, NC.
WELCOME... Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Check out Bridgeton Harbor marina in New Bern, they may be able to accommodate that size houseboat.

Having said that, houseboats in this area are very uncommon. The waters are just not that calm most of the time, except in very protected places, which usually have smaller marinas, etc. Depending on draft, you may find a place to keep one at a private home along the ICW.

I have never seen a houseboat that size here. Just getting one here might prove to be a big challenge. Has anyone?

Why so big? Have you owned anything like this before?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I just re-read your post, and saw the inland, not coastal part. Check out Lake Norman above Charlotte. I have seen big power boats there, but not 100'.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48   #10

LOL, 100' is not a likely, 76'-84 is most likely length, 16'-20' beam, and no we personaly havent owned this large b4, yet have alot of experience on smaller, and this is a houseboat, not daily cruiser. We do have experience from friends with alike carfts, and up here in MN. we only have our summer months, 98% of which is spent on our 32 foot and friends crafts.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49   #11

Boat: krogan 38
You have Many options , Coastal near the beaches will cost more than inland , You also have innerbanks which basically is away from the ocean but navigable to the ICWW / Ocean - The protected water is vast and you have many places both private and public. If you go inland you may have additional transit issues in some areas due to the size of the vessel and will also limit potential buyers if you have to sell ( say a job transfer). I guess if it were me I would rather buy a boat in the location and spend more on the vessel rather than trucking and crane fees.

NC puts out a free handy waterway guide which includes most of the coastal public marinas. go to www.ncwaterways.com . If you can specify areas I am sure someone can point you in the right direction . If you do not mind a privately owned dock you could advertise in craigslist or ebay both can be done for free. In the Pamlico sound area check out www.towndock.net which has Oriental NC area news may have some information you seek.
bathharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56   #12

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The BridgePoint Marina in New Bern allowed liveaboards when I was there a few years back. They have floating docks and have 65 foot slips. There was a 72 foot houseboat on the T-dock for while a couple of years back.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:08   #13
cruiser

New Bern is a pretty good area to base yourself. I've been a 3 month liveaboard at BridgePoint and 3 months at the Sheraton (now New Bern Grand). If I were doing it again, I'd now look seriously at Galley Store. It's a new facility with a nice market attached and has some nice advantages over the others for liveaboard. Mark is a really nice guy and would love to find a way to bring you in for a long term.

Send me a PM if you're interested in Galley Store. I can probably help to get you connected with the management.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote