Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13   #1

Boat: Hunter, 33, 33ft
Navarre Fl Liveaboard Slip.

I have seen similar threads on other sites. Pensacola's top Marinas recently quit allowing live aboards at their slips. So far I have been able to find one in Shalimar but the slips are full and the facilities are crowded. I don't even really need amenities as much as I need a good location. My Hunter is 33' with a 4' draft and I need a slip between Pensacola and Fort Walton with parking for 1 motorcycle even if it is at someones residence. I work in Navarre and the shorter the commute the better. Any hints would be appreciated...
MarcTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Navarre Fl Liveaboard Slip.

You have both sides of the Sound to consider (residential and commercial) and then East Bay. In that area there should be more than a few. Drive down Soundside Blvd(?) in Gulf Breeze and check it out.

What caused the marinas to change?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:31   #3

Boat: IP 31' sloop

I keep my IP at Allens Marina in Boggy Bayou. There are several live aboards there.
Old 07-08-2014, 15:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post

What caused the marinas to change?
They will not comment, but one dock master told me it had to do with crime being perpetrated by liveaboards without morals... Too much drinking, theft, disagreements with the staff and owners and even eachother. The stigma many of us wish to get around of a port to port criminal with no ties to land... The Trailer Trash of of the sea if you will. Great stuff for t.v. but terrible for my chances at ditching my appartment. I can still live on the hook, but I will need a good access point to keep my bike/dinghy...
Old 07-08-2014, 15:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperr100 View Post
I keep my IP at Allens Marina in Boggy Bayou. There are several live aboards there.
I thought about that one too. My vessel is only four or five docks up the bayou from Allens right now because it's just cheaper there. I am just looking for somewhere closer to work. (or a good paying job in Destin lol) The commute to Gulf Breeze from Niceville everyday would make it hard for a lot of reasons. Mainly that it's about an hour and a half one way.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTheShark View Post
I thought about that one too. My vessel is only four or five docks up the bayou from Allens right now because it's just cheaper there. I am just looking for somewhere closer to work. (or a good paying job in Destin lol) The commute to Gulf Breeze from Niceville everyday would make it hard for a lot of reasons. Mainly that it's about an hour and a half one way.

Yes, traffic on 98 was awful five years ago and I imagine worse now. If I were in Niceville though I would go north to 10 or even SR20 then west to Navarre or P cola then south to drop in to Gulf Breeze. There are a lot of private docks on East Bay there. Scout the dock scene on the north end of the causeway that was built over East Bay. If you could score a deal with a homeowner who has a sea wall or slip for rent, your 10 minutes from G.B..
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, liveaboard slip