Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-12-2014, 07:04   #1

Naming a Boat

Can anyone tell me the guidelines for naming a boat if you want to add a second word to the original name. For example the boat we have has the name Echo but we cannot keep that name as we are registering it and that name is taken so we thought we might add the same word twice which would mean the boat's name would become Echo Echo. Would this class as renaming a boat and then it would mean you have a naming ceremony?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Naming a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayjc View Post
Can anyone tell me the guidelines for naming a boat if you want to add a second word to the original name. For example the boat we have has the name Echo but we cannot keep that name as we are registering it and that name is taken so we thought we might add the same word twice which would mean the boat's name would become Echo Echo. Would this class as renaming a boat and then it would mean you have a naming ceremony?
Depends. Are you superstitious? Do you like to hold a good party?

If so, it's an unnaming and a naming ceremony. If you are supertitious or don't like to throw parties, don't worry about it , buy the extra lettering and slap it on the stern.

Personally, I like a good party so I would unname her and then rename her. This will also give you the opportunity to see if your refrigerator is large enough to keep the requisite amount of beer, tonic water, ice, soft drinks etc cold.

It won't be - so you'll immediately start thinking about buying a bigger boat

Old 12-12-2014, 07:33   #3

Having an un-naming and then a renaming party sounds good but we have just bought the boat in South Carolina and will be moving onto it in January from Australia so we don't know anyone to invite to a party which is a little sad. We are a little superstitious about changing a boat's name and if we were renaming the boat to a totally different name then we would have the ceremonies but since we just want to add to the original name I wasn't sure if there is a different process that people would follow.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Naming a Boat

If you like, it why not keep the name? Some names are so common, you know there must be at least 100 boats with that name.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57   #5

Boat: Hunter 33

If you have to ask, then obviously you have some discomfort with changing the name without a proper ceremony. I'm sure that with a little effort you could find the requisite number of people necessary to throw a proper renaming party. So be on the safe side -- why risk it?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Having an un-naming and then a renaming party sounds good but we have just bought the boat in South Carolina and will be moving onto it in January from Australia so we don't know anyone to invite to a party which is a little sad. We are a little superstitious about changing a boat's name and if we were renaming the boat to a totally different name then we would have the ceremonies but since we just want to add to the original name I wasn't sure if there is a different process that people would follow.
Well if the boat is in a marina - drop an invitation around to 10 or 15 boats - you'll have lots of new-found friends
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10   #7

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
If you server it (beer) they will come.

-steve
Old 13-12-2014, 10:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Naming a Boat

I'm with a64pilot and the plan to simply keep the name "Echo". There's no requirement in the US that a registered, or even US documented, vessel needs an exclusive name. This is the best option to deal with your superstition as well, but not a reason to forego the party option!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: