Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 17:55   #31
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: My wife loves candles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
We use candles all the time- in port and at anchor, down below and in the cockpit. Oddly enough the five year old knows not to mess with them. The only "candle issues" we have are keeping the citronella's burning to keep the bugs away in the summer. If you can't keep an eye on a candle in a space the size of a cockpit or saloon, where can you??
Fair enough. With the motion of a vessel though, it's not hard to imagine an incident, even for the very watchful.

Even without the safety aspect, however, we'd still now prefer the LED candles...
  • There's no 'stain' from the smoke, nor risk of leaking wax
  • They are better value
  • They are good for lighting when underway on night watch
Each to their own eh?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 18:13   #32

They do make candle lanterns for the teacup candles. I am sure that you can order through Amazon, REI, Campmor or check a local camping store. They are inexpensive and work great. They are small and would store away well and have a guard to keep dogs, cats, kids, husbands, wives from catching themselves on fire. They do get hot on the top above the flame though. I think that is the answer to your dilemna.
Panama Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 18:24   #33

Boat: Fuji 32

The company that invented the best ones is UCO...
Tea House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 18:33   #34

Get her a "candle lantern" or two. I used them on my previous boat a 24 foot Bristol with limited house wiring and lights. Works well, nice brass housing and protective glass. Burn a long time. Still have them on board but have not used them. Emergency back up now.
Old 29-08-2013, 18:34   #35

That is them....I love my oil lamps. I really enjoy having a candle or oil lamp going onboard.
Old 29-08-2013, 19:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I want to give her this privilege.
Just another control freak. Geez....

Go buy some candles with wide bottoms so they won't fall over. Stay awake.

Uhm, blow them out before you go to sleep???

On a 45 foot boa...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:08   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with you, Panama... on our old Ingrid, we had two oil lamps and heaps of candles... romantic, lots of light and some even were scented. Before the days of LED which, if they had them then, would be the go IMO. We were power scroungers so rarely turned on the 12v lights... saved the power for nav lights and used to hang a coal oil latern in the rigging for an anchor light. I still have very fond memories of anchoring with only candle light and a softly playing tape while we drank our wine from real crystal glasses. What ever happened to those good old days? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 19:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I'm with you, Panama... on our old Ingrid, we had two oil lamps and heaps of candles... romantic, lots of light and some even were scented. Before the days of LED which, if they had them then, would be the go IMO. We were power scroungers so rarely turned on the 12v lights... saved the power for nav lights and used to hang a coal oil latern in the rigging for an anchor light. I still have very fond memories of anchoring with only candle light and a softly playing tape while we drank our wine from real crystal glasses. What ever happened to those good old days? Phil
I agree.....I am becoming old school. I like the feel of teak and brass and I love the illumination of a natural flame. One of my best friends owns the only remaining Menger tug named Good Gurl Annie....you could google Menger Tug and she pops up. She is hull #4, Hull #1 (The mold) and the only other two produced...hulls 2 and 3 were destroyed in a fire. She was outside and was spared. He has meticulously restored her keeping the old tug/sailing vessel theme. I am learning from him and plan to do similar with my interior. I love the old sailing vessel feel.
Old 29-08-2013, 19:58   #39

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If ya do some home work you will find that folks have been making candle lamps, and candle holders just for boats for over a hundred years !! Over the years Ive had some really sweet ones made in england way back when !! Ive seen and owned a set for a pilot house, that were gimbled and had a spring set up to keep 8 inch candles going up in the lamp as they burned down !! Heck get a old boy scout book, they had some good ideas for candle lamps that were safe and would hold up in a pretty good breeze!! Just a thought! And Connie just saw a candle set up at Bed Bath and Beyond, that hangs, and the heat causes it to turn and cast changing shapes around the room !!!
Old 29-08-2013, 22:44   #40

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Scoob is it the ambiance or the scent that she loves? I love my LED candles but enjoy a nicely scented candle too to cover the dog farts. (Yes really the dog!) Maybe something like wax wafers that can be heated by light bulb if you have the amps or tea light if scent is the goal. If ambiance LED candles have come a long way. I can suggest some nice vanilla scented ones but the scent fades pretty quickly sadly.

My favorite candles are from this company purchased at a local store: (they have wafers too as does Yankee)
http://www.ourowncandlecompany.com/orderform/

Better scent and cleaner burning than Yankee IMHO.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:45   #41

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I told her life on a boat would make buring candles ill advised.
She has started to come to grips with this, but
Is there anyway she can enjoy them safely?
Keep in mind we have two large dogs and a cat.
Ideas? I want to give her this privilege.
Take a look at (click on) http://myluminara.com/ These candles are sufficiently realistic that a friend of my wife that joined us for dinner a few weeks ago tried to blow out one on the dining room table when the ladies were cleaning things up after we'd finished eating. We all had a good laugh at her failed effort/discovery that the candles were battery powered.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 06:58   #42

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
My favorite LED candles that are quite bright:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007Z22SGA
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:52   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Any women who are not allowed to have real candles on thier boat are advised that I have a plentiful supply of candles, lighters, matches..... ummmmm and I am single

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:29   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

My wife likes candles, but being a MAN I don't really understand. All I really understand is that there is some type of connection between the candles and my other interests.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:36   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
My wife likes candles, but being a MAN I don't really understand.
Man says to wifey:

"Don't call me 'Darling'. That may have been fine when we got married but I am the Captain of an Ocean Going sail boat! You are the admiral.... now when you have finished washing the dishes you can buy some LED candles out of you OWN money."

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote