Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 12:33   #46

What they said CHARTER. Your dreams are realistic but there are also a lot of boats for sale in Mexico. Couples made it down the coast only to learn it wasn't for them.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 14:21   #47

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Way to go, ReleaseMe, now that's a plan. I wish you the very best success and look forward to hearing how you get on.
Have a very good Christmas and a great 2010 - it sounds like it will be!
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 21:36   #48

As you get older more and more sailors turn to power boats.
For two people you do not need anything over 40 ft.
Here in Australia nearly ALL new cruising boats are multihulls. The women prefer to sail or motor, flat not healing or rolling from one side to the other.
Most men love the idea of living aboard, the independance etc but it is difficult to find a women who loves cruising.
It all sounds a great idea to them at first but I would make sure your little "tempest 36DD"s really likes the life.
A friend of mine who has been cruising for 25 years, reckons he can only get them to last 2 years, but he never has any trouble finding a fresh one. Also he doesn't have a shower on board and no desalinator. ?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31   #49

Boat: Island Packet IP38
LOL I kept my harley. It stays in storage most of the time. But we are going to winter over in the Keys and I will bring it down. I would look for boats in the 38 up size to liveaboard and cruise. I have a watermaker I will make you a great deal on if you decide you need one. Don't limit yourself to Island Packets there are some great boat deals out there in this economy.
I have known several people this year alone that have travelel thousands of miles on a weeks sailing experience. One guy a few months ago bought a used custom boat. I and others had to help him figure out how to put a lot of it together. I did not think he would get out of Mobile Bay. It is 4 months later and he has logged about 2000 miles and is currently in New York. Use your common sense, be safe and take it in steps. There are plenty of people that will help you learn to sail your new boat. Day cruise from anchorage to anchorage, then extend your trips as your experience grows. Learn to navigate. Learn to anchor. Learn how to get your particular boat in and out of a slip backward and forwards. I would invest the sailing school money in a good chart plotter.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote